cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Percentage of Promoted vs Organic Sales

My promoted listing sales are 75% of my listing sales.  I have only had 9 sales this month, 1 did not pay (promoted) and 6 others were due to promoted listings leaving 2 that were organic.   Interesting.  Would I only have 2 sales if not promoting???  Are only my promoted listings showing?   What are your percentages?

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Re: Percentage of Promoted vs Organic Sales

Zero promoted  240 sales

Message 16 of 32
latest reply

I don't do promoted sales. I'm already paying a store fee and I use appropriate key words in my title listings, so shoppers should see. 

Majority of my listings have "best offer", so I don't fell I have to do a promotion. 

Shoppers should be able to see how many listings I have and that I have a store, so they can search within the store for items that they might be interested in.  

Sales have picked up this month. Not sure if that is due to eBay fixing some things or that shoppers are now inside do to cold weather / holidays now and shopping more. 

Message 17 of 32
latest reply

About 35 percent from promoted listings.

Message 18 of 32
latest reply

hey disney
i remember you back form the powerseller boards early 2000s
ive been back several times this time its just me
got my divorce which i was supposed to do in 2007
retired now just to just ebay
Message 19 of 32
latest reply

I have a small Business. I promote my own sales by lowering my prices and not paying ebay more money to do so. And everyone sees it. I've sold 61 items this month by the old do it yourself method...We pay enough fees.

Message 20 of 32
latest reply

I sell used car parts.  Each listing and item is unique.  No multiple quantities.  Month of November I sold 324 items.  I have 2182 items listed.  I promote all items that have been in inventory for more than 60 days.  Currently 75% of my inventory is promoted.  25% of my sales are from promoted listings.  I am NOT a fan of promoted listings because I already pay eBay enough $$$ but do so because it seems to help with sales.  I do not have enough long term data to prove that though.  Typically my sales increase after listing fresh inventory.  As I have been distracted and not able to create as many new listings I have been using the promoted listings tool.  

Message 21 of 32
latest reply

In selling European auto parts, you do have a unique niche.  Nice store by the way, clean presentation.  I too get a little boost with the introduction of new items but promote early on as, unlike your niche, Buyers will not always need a particular skirt  to go about their day :-).   So far, 75% of my sales being from promoted listings is on the high end - especially since I have such a limited amount of sales.

Thank you for your input - enjoy the Holidays!

Message 22 of 32
latest reply

@mcdougle4248

I don't understand. You say that "all" your listings are promoted. That would be 100% of your listings. So how can the % of sales from promoted listings be anything other than 100%

All cats are mammals.
Fluffy is a cat.
Therefore, Fluffy is a mammal.

Message 23 of 32
latest reply

@neato-burrito wrote:

@mcdougle4248

I don't understand. You say that "all" your listings are promoted. That would be 100% of your listings. So how can the % of sales from promoted listings be anything other than 100%

All cats are mammals.
Fluffy is a cat.
Therefore, Fluffy is a mammal.

It is because my listings are either shown as an organic listing (not promoted) or a promoted listing.  When a buyer clicks on an organic listing and then purchases, there is no promoted listing fee.

Here is information from the Fall Seller Update that may explain better.

Message 24 of 32
latest reply

I don't do promoted either they get enough of my money as it is, all my listings are buy it now and I sometimes average up to about 10 a day in sales. ebay really shouldnt charge us anymore, we are getting pretty much ripped off we pay fees and than we also have to pay pal fees they need to all give us a break ...ebay is getting greedy

Message 25 of 32
latest reply

Ah, I see.  Thank you

Message 26 of 32
latest reply

DOES EBAY REALIZE ... OR CARE .. THAT

SOME AD BLOCKERS ARE

BLOCKING PROMOTED LISTINGS ?

WHEN I USE AD BLOCK PLUS ON FIREFOX BROWSER,

IT REMOVES PROMOTED LISTINGS !

Message 27 of 32
latest reply

They know "some" blockers do  block promoted listings.....  I use firefox and a blocker, but still see Promoted listings.........

Message 28 of 32
latest reply

I am a small seller who usually has between 40-60 items listed, who normally sells about 20-25 items per month.  I had never promoted listings until 2 months ago when I had a poor sales month.  I read a post about how promoting to just 1% could help.  I promoted all my items and my sales that month was better than usual.  Then it dropped.  I increased my promoted % to 5% and my sales jumped for a few weeks, then died down again.  I increased to 8%.  Same sequence.  I increased to 12% and had the best 3 weeks in sales in the 2 years i'd been doing this.  Then my sales dropped dramatically.  I decided to not increase my % again since I'd be cutting too much into profits and instead, I removed all promoted listings.  And then, I began selling an item a day, which is good for me.  At this point, my gameplan is to change from not promoting to promoting at 1% and vice versa.  I also find that reducing prices slightly 2x per week kick-starts sales. 

So, ultimately, I am neither in favor or not in favor of promoted listings.  I've just found that you need to keep changing things up to keep the eBay algorithms on your side. 

May the odds ever be in your favor.

Message 29 of 32
latest reply

4638 Active Listings

4269 Promoted Listings

468 total items sold in November,

135 promoted sales in November (28.8%)

$31,110 Total sales in November

$7591 Promoted Sales in November (24.4%)

Message 30 of 32
latest reply