cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Offensive Materials? Huh?

Today I received two notifications on two items which I have had listed for months/years- a folk art art doll of a Black American man (not a caricature) wearing a tie, and an antique photograph of a Black American maid holding a White child. Neither item depicts any possible characteristic of racial mockery or denigration. I must say that I find it personally offensive that ebay would even suggest such a thing about them. What on God's Earth is happening? I'm 60 years old and have been an ebay seller for 19 years with a 100 percent rating. Has the world lost its mind?

Message 1 of 122
latest reply
121 REPLIES 121

Re: Offensive Materials? Huh?

"while we are all being overly sensitive" 

I guess Ebay better get busy since we are all offended by something. here's my request:

I want eBay to review and prohibit any listings that are derogatory to WOMEN. 

if Ebay is going to be "WOKE" then it's time to remove any and all listings that exploit, derogatory or offensive in any way to women...Remove All of it. Immediately

>>> including Movies, Ads, Photos, Collectibles etc... EVERYTHING vintage pretty much  

there is so much (vintage and modern) that is offensive & derogatory to women that removing it all would probably be the end of Ebay

where does it end? if we all get our way to remove offensive listings - what's left?

Message 46 of 122
latest reply

the new rules on what is offensive is quite broad.Why dont we just ban action movies,no more John Wayne or Eastood or Bronson.While we are at it lets bring back C. Delores Tucker and get rid of the rap music.She came to Germantown when I lived there,did not like rap music one bit.Last but not least we should ban video games,they inspire violence or so they say.I can remember back in the 80`s people were blaming bands like AC/DC and such for there childrens  suicide.The banning of items shoud stop,its getting rediculous at what people are offended by

1tuna ------------- 

I agree,,  because  this censorship stuff can   set a very  dangerous predicent . The next fringe group  could demand   even more  absurdity .  As long as we continue  to  give in to the  fear  of  violence   then the only thing we  will be teaching   them   is to keep  using  force . We do not want tyranny ,, so our leaders  better  get some backbone and   quickly .  Tulips 

Message 47 of 122
latest reply

I had an item taken down also, an Aunt Jemima/Uncle Moses Salt & Pepper Set Plus an Aunt Jemima Syrup Jar made by F&F Plastics. and while I don't mid this happening, I do have a question. There are about 50 more still listed, plus all of the Aunt Jemima Cookie Jars, by McCoy and Brayton Laguna, a lot of Cast Iron Black Americana items including a few other items., not to mention the Paper items that are up for sale. I think all in all there are about 300+ items still up on Ebay. Should not all of these come down. What was the process used to select certain ones that need to come down when exact copies are still up on the site? When a policy is applied in such a hit or miss manner, the offensive nature of the item become what ever the person wants and really does not address the issue at all. Isn't that what this is all about? Equal treatment for all?
Message 48 of 122
latest reply

I guess Uncle Ben will be the next to go.

No. Just change his face to that of an old white guy.  Problem solved.  /sarcasm

Message 49 of 122
latest reply

oh, and while you're at it: I'm offended by any modern manufactured / mass produced products that are harmful to people, animals  and / or the environment

get WOKE for real if you are going down that road Ebay. good luck

Message 51 of 122
latest reply

Any TV. program  or movie that portrays law enforcement   in a good light  could be  next on the chopping block. Many believe  It won't stop there  . There are groups that do indeed want to see  police departments all across the country  defunded ,,  in other words abolished  and they will use force  if need be.  Tulips

Message 52 of 122
latest reply

Most of the protestors were peaceful  boston fabric stash 

There was 55 million dollars  in damage to business store owners  during the last riot . Yet millions upon millions of dollars in donations   are coming  in  by big  companies ,, but not for the business owners who lost everything  ,, but  instead the money is being  directed to benefit   BLM . Doesn't seem fair  but this is what fear can do  . Tulips 

Message 53 of 122
latest reply

So true.

All adult sexually oriented items should be removed. Offensive!!

Playboy mags....gone.

Bathing suit model photos.....gone.

Get with it eBay. Be the leader.

Message 54 of 122
latest reply

@voguevintage wrote:

Can we still sell Aunt Jemima pancake mix? lol.

This is so stupid.

Well Quaker announced they're changing the name and the "branding" (picture).

Message 55 of 122
latest reply

@gracieallen01 wrote:

In Santa Barbara, the original (1957) Sambo's (restaurant and pancake house) - the first and the only one left - is changing it's name because people found it offensive, after 63 years.

So glad I already sold ( a couple of years ago now) those souvenir shot glasses and mugs I had from there.

Message 56 of 122
latest reply

I'm offended by all the carp we (The US) allow to be imported into our country from China.

Message 57 of 122
latest reply

Before you know it, you will be thrown in jail for making pancakes.

Message 58 of 122
latest reply

Hey. They're not THAT bad = )
Message 59 of 122
latest reply

!

Message 60 of 122
latest reply