cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No sales...where did all the buyers go??

Hi everyone, I love ebay, been selling for 11 years. It has been scary slow lately! I was doing pretty good, but all of a sudden, no sales since April 25! This never  happened  before. I even called CS, nothing against my account. I continue to list, pray, and hope for the best! Anyone else slow down? 

Message 1 of 95
latest reply
94 REPLIES 94

Re: No sales...where did all the buyers go??

@jayjaspersgarage wrote:

" I am no expert but I think it has to do with the search engine."

Wasn't the TAX deadline moved to May 15th?  I would guess that has more to do with a temporary drop in sales than anything else.

Tax deadline in the U.S. was April 18, 2022.
Message 76 of 95
latest reply

@call*me*alfred-o* wrote:

@serenitycafe wrote:

Hi everyone, I love ebay, been selling for 11 years. It has been scary slow lately! I was doing pretty good, but all of a sudden, no sales since April 25! This never  happened  before. I even called CS, nothing against my account. I continue to list, pray, and hope for the best! Anyone else slow down? 

Federal taxes are due in 9 days.  Usually tax time is slow.

Stop posting inaccurate information.....deadline was April 18, done and over

Message 77 of 95
latest reply

Zombie thread from a year ago. 

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 78 of 95
latest reply

Tanner, the gates never closed on Chinese goods into the states (that would be sanctions not tarrifs), and the current presidential administration left the tariffs in place. The only change is stopping some of the over 2000 exclusions that the prior administration let China have. So those good will go up 7.5% to 25% depending on what it is. 

Nor has there been any tax law passed since the last administration. Some of the tax cuts to middle income earners from the last tax change expired and that may have made your tax level go up. Expecting people to pay taxes on earned income over the "hobby" level hasn't changed. Paying taxes on your income isn't an increase in the tax rates. 

Lastly, I have seen no interest by either party to make the online selling industry a government owned and run industry. In fact, I have not seen any laws put out by either side that would do that with any industry. Where are you getting the idea that communism is coming for the online sales industry? The US government really doesn't want to own something that is such a pain in the behind. 

Message 79 of 95
latest reply

ZOMBIE THREAD - with events of over a year ago mashed into current events.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 80 of 95
latest reply

Sales for used things as well as most typical 'man type' items always dies the week before Mothers Day. Has done this, like clockwork, for the past 12 years I've been selling here. 

Message 81 of 95
latest reply

@serenitycafe wrote:

Hi,

One of the things  I collect is dolls and I see you have a number of dolls for sale.   The dolls you have seem to be in reasonable shape so that's good.  The hair on most of them looks horrid though.  If you have the time and the desire, try sprucing up their hair.

It would make the dolls more desirable and more photogenic on your auction/BIN page.  

Since your dolls are common modern dolls it would be advantageous if they looked their best. It may help with sales.

Message 82 of 95
latest reply

i am in the same boat since 4/25/2022 with one sale 5/6/2022 and over 1000 listings. What happens when everything is unavailable"?

Message 83 of 95
latest reply

The no sale streak is continuing, all accounts, all type of items, no sales, no watchers, no bids, nothing.

Dozens of friends who also list personally on here are saying the same thing.  So far everyone who I've spoken to who say otherwise can't verify otherwise.

A company in the same building where I work sells fishing tackle,  they have for over 15 years. This is their prime selling season and they averaged 220 items per week for years . I'm told that its dropped steadily about two years ago leveling off during the pandemic to about half. They now tell me they haven't had a sale in 60 days and are closing the doors at the end of the week.

As a fisherman myself, I find it hard to imagine that someone selling fishing tackle, both new and used, during April and May hasn't had a single sale.

Of course, with fuel for the trucks being over $7/gal, we're likely going to loose more than a few eBay sellers.
I keep hearing that there's always people with money regardless of what the cost of fuel is, or what the economy is doing. If that's true, they're not shopping on eBay these days.

Message 84 of 95
latest reply

It is a shame they have to close their doors and yes gas is out of control and so over this whole administration and their lack of knowledge. They do not care for the American people at all it is going to get way worse before better I fear gas is predicted to double by the end of the year. I have my items listed across 5 different websites now and took on a full time job outside of the house as well to just keep meds and food coming into the house. It is a shame what is going on.  

Message 85 of 95
latest reply

They are leaving ebay and finding other sites that are easier to search and list on. Every time ebay makes a change it destroys sales for existing businesses, it screws up searches and our sales have dropped consistently. We once did consistent 300,000.00 in annual sales which ended immediately when ebay started combining large categories and adding pointless irrelevant item specifics. Now after the most recent BAD idea ebay will be shoving hundreds of thousands items into yet another over populated category. You can have a solid 14k gold ring with a Cubic zirconia or a lab grown stone and it has to be called fashion jewelry now based solely on the stone. Absolutely ridiculous and  will only push more people to confusion.    

Message 86 of 95
latest reply

CS will also tell you NOTHING CHANGED LOL Look for yourself, test out a few searches and look at how inconsistent the results are 

Message 87 of 95
latest reply

At work, both those who I work for and the other companies who also list or listed here simply cannot buy cheap enough for this to be a viable format anymore.

Average retail mark up used to be 100%, then slowly 20% somehow became acceptable, then eBay and Amazon got flooded with cheap Chinese goods and suddenly 10% was the norm. Now, I don't think things would sell at a loss. The average buyer wants cheap, they don't care who or where it comes from.

eBay puts the Chinese ads ahead of local ads too.

If a guy searches 'Snap On Wrenches' he shouldn't have to weed through four pages of junk from China, much of which has nothing to do with his original search.

Earlier I was looking for some batteries, button cell batteries. I searched for LR44, then AG13, and a few other same type batteries, I got 11 ads for some oddball Chinese brand batteries, a few dozen tractor parts, some kitchen mixer parts, and 30 or so items that use batteries. On the third page of 200 items I found a seller in the U.S. selling name brand batteries.  I ended up buying them off some website for half the price though. They could sell them cheaper there since they didn't have to pay any FVF or listing fees.

Amazon isn't any better, they're costs pretty much eliminate anyone trying to make a profit on any goods bought at normal wholesale prices.  None of the other auction sites have proven worth while either. There's just not enough traffic and my feeling is they just dilute the customer totals from each other more than provide a valid alternative to eBay.

If your trying to sell anything for fair market value these days it seems a waste of time lately.

Message 88 of 95
latest reply

It is super low. Extremely low number of views on my items. I have been selling for years on ebay. Back to school is usually a slump period for me but this started in April for me as well.

Message 89 of 95
latest reply

Stock is down too!

Message 90 of 95
latest reply