cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nighmare buyer-- advice on how to handle this, please, I don't want others to go through this

Hi I haven't posted here since the old antiques board went away, but I need advice

I sold a Royal Copenhagen figurine for about $350.  The buyer sniped it and then send me photos of tiny chips to the flowers at the base asking for $100 partial refund.  Against better judgment (I should have canceled it right there, since others have sold the same figurine with lots of chips to those flowers for $500), I refunded the $100 and shipped it, to some sort of reshipment address in Georgia (I think she may be in Korea).  She wrote that it had been wrongly delivered.  I wrote back to show delivery confirmation.  Then, this morning, she wrote again saying it was all damaged and asking for another $80 partial refund, or a return.  I wrote her saying she should return it and I would refund the whole thing plus her shipping costs.

Looking at her old feedback, other sellers have said she is running a scam, swapping a bad piece for their good piece, or demanding to return and then refusing to return.  I've never had a negative in our 1,500 transactions, but I'm willing to take one. My main concern is how to warn other sellers about her.  I knew there might be problems so I have not left her feedback and believe me I will leave her a big negative as needed.

Thanks for your counsel,

Judy

~Judy~
Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Nighmare buyer-- advice on how to handle this, please, I don't want others to go through this

and believe me I will leave her a big negative as needed.

---------------------------------------------------------------

I believe you would like to leave a negative, but I know you won't,

because you can't.

Sorry about the scammer, I mean buyer, don't refund anymore money and stick to return for refund.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Re: Nighmare buyer-- advice on how to handle this, please, I don't want others to go through this

You have done the right thing. You can’t leave negative FB for a buyer. Soft positives are also forbidden. 

Wait for the item to be returned. You should probably let CS know about your communications from her as well.

I hope you don’t have a no return policy, that could cause things to get dicey for you.

Diane

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

You are only responsible to get it to the reshipper....after that you are out of the picture.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

@dcjunker   Every once in a while we get those kind of Buyers too.  I offer Free 30 day returns on my items.  That setting gives some flexibility on refunding (up to 50% of the item price) - none of the original paid shipping and it blocks less than Positive Feedback from Buyers.  It is eBay's way of helping Sellers cut their loss in a "switch-a-rooskie" return where the Buyer sends their junk back.

I know you said your buyer sent pictures with the initial chip complaint but in cases where a buyer simply says there is damage but no pictures I send this, "Please send pictures for my records."  Nothing else, I don't apologize or acknowledge their claim.  If I get pictures back then I know what I am dealing with and act accordingly.  If they ask me "why" I let them know that in the event of an insurance claim I need the pictorial record of how they, the buyer, received the item and then add they should include pictures of the damaged packaging.

Several items have been mysteriously "fixed" with this approach, including a $ 270 Italian Parrot Sculpture.  Other Buyers have simply never responded.

If I smell a rat and get pushed for a partial refund I let them know that I offer Free 30 day returns and since I have agree up front to pay the return shipping the most I could refund is their original shipping cost so the best approach would be for them to return the item and I would help them every step of the way on the return process if they needed the assistance.  Some have accepted the small refund and others have returned items.  I have only had to use the full benefits of the Free returns settings twice and their Neg FB was blocked automatically.  When I use those benefits I also Report the Buyer for abusing the return policies ... eBay agreed with my decision on both of those cases.

If an item is truly damaged AND the pictures are of the item I sent then I ask them to return it using the reason arrived damaged and make the same offer to help them through the return process.  I refund those folks IN FULL when I get the item back.  We've pursued 2 USPS insurance claims successfully with this approach (each over $ 150).  Several items I got back I was able to fix and sell again noting the repairs.

When eBay first introduced the Free Returns feature many Sellers were afraid there would be a run on returns ... I experimented on lower priced lighter weight items first and when returns did not sky rocket I slowly expanded it to everything.  I am sure in some categories it may be a concern but in Collectibles, Toys & Hobbies, etc that has not happened.

My wife had one just the other day on her account ... buyer claimed there was a "crack" in the copper tea kettle they purchased ... she sent the "Please send pictures for my records" message to them ... so far no response. 

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Whenever you have someone who does this type of thing, report them to eBay.

This puts the buyer on eBay's radar. They will eventually end up losing their MBG or being NRU.

If every seller that had a buyer that did this type of thing was reported, it helps other sellers down the road.

Be polite and let them know they are welcome to return for a refund.

Like others have said, they are responsible for getting the item back to the re-shipper. You only have to pay for the return shipping from the place that forwarded the product to them.

Good luck

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Thanks everyone for your replies. I told her to open a request for a return and have not heard from her in about 24 hours.

honestly, this sort of thing plus the recent USPS problems (I have three items tracked as not moving in weeks) makes me not want to sell on eBay.  I am not listing again until these things are resolved.

judy

~Judy~
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

I feel the same way. My spouse is very sick, and I just decided in December that I can’t deal with any of this now. I took all of my listings down. Am I overreacting? Maybe...but I know what my nerves will take now. 

Diane

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

I have had numerous problems with buyers from South Korea lately such as you have. I cringe every time I sell to them. Beware.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

I am a little confused here.

You said you shipped to an address in GA.  Once it reached that address, you had no control over the package, so it could have been damaged in the forward shipment.  So how are you responsible for anything?

Hope you blocked this buyer and reported her.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

If you've had numerous problems with buyers from a specific location, and "cringe" every time you sell to them, may I ask why you're still selling to buyers in that location?  

Message 11 of 11
latest reply