cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Sales Tax will be a BIG issue...........

for me atleast.  Folks that say this won't be a big issue and everyone is making a big deal out of nothing I think they're wrong.    I'm not a huge seller, but I sell enough to know that it WILL be an issue for me, since over the years I bought a lot of items on Ebay to resell for a small profit.   If this goes into effect, an item from out of state that would currently cost me $100, but after this passes it will be anywhere from $113.00 to $103.00 with an average around $107.   I know this doesn't sound like much, but after paying Ebay their 10% and Paypal 3.5% the profit margins are low and now I will have to tack on another variable tax rate amount to my products cost.

Also, I know that if this passes I won't be buying as many items, since my wages haven't increased and this will just be another amount that will be taken away from my discretionary income.  I think this will hurt online sales to what extent I don't know.

Anyways, I hope it turns out for the best, but I don't think it will and most small sellers will be the ones hurt the most.  This is about helping the multiple billionare type companies while causing the small mom and pop online sellers to close up shop.

Message 1 of 193
latest reply
192 REPLIES 192

Re: New Sales Tax will be a BIG issue...........

@hollyd7770 wrote:

@7606dennis wrote:

@hollyd7770 wrote:

As ebay begins to collect sales tax for more and more states this gets more and more confusing. I just wish the US Congress would step in and pass a law that says that internet sales tax will be a set amount countrywide, but still collected on the behalf of the states. Seems to me if the US Supreme court  is the one started this mess, then the US Congress can simplify it. For me a fair amount would be like 6-7%.

The United States does not have a federal sales tax and I doubt that the states nor their citizens would want the federal government to levy one.  There would be a quite a cry heard since the states don't want the feds dipping their fingers in one of the state's prime revenue sources and the citizens would probably go ballistic if the feds added a national sales tax on top of the states.  Not to mention the reaction from residents of the states that do not have a sales tax.

If the federal government were to take over the collection of the state's sales tax, you better believe that they would want some of it for themselves to cover the cost of collecting it.  Geez!  What a mess that would be.

I am not saying that there should be a federal sales tax. What I am saying have 1 rate country wide that is still collected by Ebay and other marketplace facilitators and sent to the buyers state just like it is now.  To confusing now. Fo some states tax is collected, for some it is not. Some states the tax is on shipping to,  some it is not. Make it simple on everyone involved.

Since the states are the ones that levy the tax within their borders, do you think that they are going to sit down and agree to any sort of convention to set tax rules and give up their authority?  I hope we've learned better than to do that by watching what has happened in the UK with the European Union.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 121 of 193
latest reply

Are you saying it is paid twice? For my sales eBay has been charging my customers tax when necessary and when I buy I’ve been paying sales tax on some items. What am I missing here
Message 122 of 193
latest reply

Yes, I agree we barely break even now. Half the time I lose money. With sellers not combining shipping on multiple items as well. This is why they hv to make a profit somewhere. Yet I don't like to pay these extra cost. It just makes honest people greedy. Bc ther getting hit with so many fees their trying to make a profit anyway they can. Starting today 10/1/19 today in SC a new sales tax for eBay! This will hurt a lot people but it's all about the money as always. I hope I can afford to continue use of the site. I enjoy the people I deal with. I don't know time will tell. Just my 2 cents.
Message 123 of 193
latest reply

Yeah, in the end 'sellers pay', that's the name of the ebay game.  

Message 124 of 193
latest reply

From now on I will think twice when doing shopping on eBay because of the sale tax.

Message 125 of 193
latest reply

From now on I will think twice when doing shopping on eBay because of the sale tax.

Message 126 of 193
latest reply

I sold an item (jewelry) that wasn't very expensive. I don't remember exact amount but it was a low cost item. Anyways, the buyer got charged a $1 and some change for tax. They wrote me immediately after and said Hi, just purchased this item from you for x amount of dollars and was charged tax. Please refund my $1 and change immediately. Thanks.
Like WHAT? !! Sorry I didn't charge it, ebay did. I instructed the buyer to call ebay and take it up with them. I only received exactly what I had listed as the price. IT is all I got minus paypal fee. I did NOT get their dollar and change so I will NOT be refunding it to them. They ended up calling ebay and then messaged me and said thanks and sorry, but I need to cancel this item because ebay won't refund my dollar and change so either cancel order or please make the price lower to compensate the tax charge. I cancelled and blocked. WE as SELLERS are NOT charging you BUYERS, EBAY IS! So bizarre. Never had anyone else complain or mention the tax whatsoever. That was the one and only. Haven't had any issues. I think for the most part buyers are aware there is tax now. I don't think a majority of ppl are going stop buying if they have to pay tax, well unless it is a very expensive item like you are talking about.
Message 127 of 193
latest reply

I was totally confused too and read all those state requirements then I realized Ebay is collecting the tax and Ebay is paying the States their money. so it really shouldn't affect me a small seller of $5-10 items...
I'm only getting my net amount not the tax so I don't have to worry about it till I start selling $100, 000 or more (yeah right). If that isn't so I'm in big trouble
Message 128 of 193
latest reply

I agree wholeheartedly with you....

I’m a buyer only at this point, and I truly think the new sales tax mandates will

certainly curtail a lot of, at least, my purchasing...  For bigger ticket items, this is really a sale “killer”....

Too bad....  the state governments never give up digging into our pockets, do they?

workwearguy

Message 129 of 193
latest reply

government greed
Message 130 of 193
latest reply

I agree. My house is loaded with 57 years of stuff. E-bay will send me a form at the end of the year to put with my tax forms. I think it's wonderful they're collecting but my accountant will charge me extra for an extra form. As for people saying your going to pay local, sure but I'm also going to get my senior and veteran's discount, plus exercise, plus a meal out with company I adore at the mall. I have fell into the habit of buying on line. Just think eventually people want to buy say a $100.00 item. Six are on line with perfect records and they will go through to see what state you live in to get it the cheapest.
Message 131 of 193
latest reply

There is something important missing from the conversation on eBay sales tax collection POLICY. I've seen many post on these forums that say eBay is required by law to collect sales taxes on all transactions. But that is not true. The actual situation is that each State sets a minimum dollar figure for an out-of-State seller to be liable for the tax. It's called an Economic Nexus. This minimum sales figure ranges from $100,000 to $500,000 in prior year sales in a given State. If an eBay seller sells less than these amounts defined by the State (the Nexus) in the prior year, then there is no sales tax due to that State from that seller.

So...why is eBay's policy to collect sales tax ON ALL TRANSACTIONS ? 

Message 132 of 193
latest reply

You might want to say from all states except these five. I don't see my state on there and they started a week ago. There's only five states left.
Message 133 of 193
latest reply

I live in Alabama. I am used to there being a high sales tax. If I want an item I buy it. I am sure for sellers this is a new thing that will cost them money and some sales. But I hope it doesn't help all of you that bad. 

Message 134 of 193
latest reply

I totally agree! Like if in person, I went to say New York and bought something I would have to pay whatever New York's tax is on that item. 

Message 135 of 193
latest reply