cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Sales Tax will be a BIG issue...........

for me atleast.  Folks that say this won't be a big issue and everyone is making a big deal out of nothing I think they're wrong.    I'm not a huge seller, but I sell enough to know that it WILL be an issue for me, since over the years I bought a lot of items on Ebay to resell for a small profit.   If this goes into effect, an item from out of state that would currently cost me $100, but after this passes it will be anywhere from $113.00 to $103.00 with an average around $107.   I know this doesn't sound like much, but after paying Ebay their 10% and Paypal 3.5% the profit margins are low and now I will have to tack on another variable tax rate amount to my products cost.

Also, I know that if this passes I won't be buying as many items, since my wages haven't increased and this will just be another amount that will be taken away from my discretionary income.  I think this will hurt online sales to what extent I don't know.

Anyways, I hope it turns out for the best, but I don't think it will and most small sellers will be the ones hurt the most.  This is about helping the multiple billionare type companies while causing the small mom and pop online sellers to close up shop.

Message 1 of 193
latest reply
192 REPLIES 192

If eBay was smart, they should have said we have no way of collecting and dispersing all these various tax rates to all the different state jurisdictions. Living in a high taxed state I just plain refuse to pay sales tax on used garage sale items that would normally end up in the trash.

Haven't bought anything off eBay since this started, and I sure have saved a lot of money.

Message 181 of 193
latest reply

Understandable..but from what Ive read on the internet, Ebay had no say so in this tax collecting at all, its the law. As a Marketplace Facilitator they met the criteria to collect the taxes and remit them to the proper states.So did Amazon, Etsy,etc. 

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 182 of 193
latest reply

@bonjourami wrote:

Its not Ebays tax policy, its your state's policy. Ebay fought this, but lost.

Actually, it is not the state's policy, it's the law.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 183 of 193
latest reply

@jojitsusensei wrote:

If eBay was smart, they should have said we have no way of collecting and dispersing all these various tax rates to all the different state jurisdictions. Living in a high taxed state I just plain refuse to pay sales tax on used garage sale items that would normally end up in the trash.

Haven't bought anything off eBay since this started, and I sure have saved a lot of money.

Of course, eBay could simply refuse to collect the sales tax required by the laws of what I believe is currently 34 states that have enacted these Marketplace Facilitator laws.  All they would have to do is cease doing any business within the borders of those states and ban sellers from shipping to them.  I doubt that many buyers or sellers from those states would take that very well though.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 184 of 193
latest reply

i already have people asking me to cancell sell because of taxes i will not pay taxes on items i sell at loss that i paid taxes on there for my 2090 feedbacks this year will be the same next year i will not pay tax on ebay and more i ask say heck no 3 are returning there items from this tax that they not noticce till later ?if you ask me i am selling ebay stock or i already did and more sells at all after c/mas and no more buying maybe a items or two under 50 per year 

Message 185 of 193
latest reply

we just took all items off we will not buy on ebay no more flea market instead spending 800 a month on ebay no more and NO MORE SELLS FROM ME TO MUCH OF A BIG PROBLEM SENDING BACK RECENT ITEMS I BROUGHT ALSO
Message 186 of 193
latest reply

LOOKING AT A ROLEX GOING TO STORE INSTEAD

Message 187 of 193
latest reply

All this hysteria over a few dollars in taxes? Ok.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 188 of 193
latest reply

@bonjourami wrote:

All this hysteria over a few dollars in taxes? Ok.

Not that I can see.  I sell over 700 items per month in my 2 eBay stores and not once, NOT EVEN ONCE, has a buyer complained about, or canceled a sale because of, sales tax.

List more, sell more. Goodwill that other, uh, stuff.

Feeling sleepy? There's an app for that.
Message 189 of 193
latest reply

@jojitsusensei wrote:

You can thank Wayfair for all of this.

Everyone should boycott them.

15 years of eBay I'm done.

No deals left anymore.  High prices, insulated shipping prices, and now sales tax on top of it all. I found better deals elsewhere.

Say what? It was Wayfair that was sued by South Dakota, so you can thank SD legislators for all this.

Message 190 of 193
latest reply

@bonjourami wrote:

Understandable..but from what Ive read on the internet, Ebay had no say so in this tax collecting at all, its the law. As a Marketplace Facilitator they met the criteria to collect the taxes and remit them to the proper states.So did Amazon, Etsy,etc. 

Actually, I believe ebay only fell under the Market Facilitator provisions once they started collecting payments through their Managed Payments scheme. That was why they fought so hard against it.

Message 191 of 193
latest reply

I am a buyer after purchasing multiple item from eBay comparing prices to manufacturers prices the difference are minimal. I would rather pay 10 or 15 More on a new item with warranty. For me It’s not worth it anymore because I am not saving money on the items I bought from eBay.
Message 192 of 193
latest reply

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies.  Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thanks for understanding!

Message 193 of 193
latest reply