cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netflex shut me down. I made face mask with their fabric I bought at Walmart.

I listed all the face mask as homemade....eBay didn’t bother to view my perfect feedbacks in 20 years. 3 days with no sales is my punishment. Small sellers like me, don’t stand a chance.  A warning would of been nice. 

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Let's hope the other License holders don't come after you.

"Those who enter the arena unarmed or unprepared are quickly dispatched."
Message 2 of 35
latest reply

I'm assuming it was a copyright infringement penalty ... you have a lot of items for sale that violate copyrights.

(It is a copyright violation to use copyrighted images on a product you make unless you specifically have a license to market a product with that image ... the fabric could be properly licensed, but it is intended for private use and not for producing other products for sale).

My recommendation would be to remove these products.  eBay will permanently suspend your ability to sell if you get multiple objections from copyright owners.

Message 3 of 35
latest reply

The NFL and Disney are pretty active at going after copyright violators ... those would be two products that are high risk for receiving an additional copyright infringement.

Message 4 of 35
latest reply

3 days with no sales is my punishment.

@catranch69 

I still see active auctions that will end in less than 3 days. Do you mean 3 days without posting new listings is your punishment?

It's got to be the license holder/logo items. It's a shame, because yours look like great masks for a great price.

I'd be selling the restricted ones locally and keeping the other patterns up after you're out of jail. Good luck!

Message 5 of 35
latest reply

@orangehound wrote: ...(It is a copyright violation to use copyrighted images on a product you make unless you specifically have a license to market a product with that image ... the fabric could be properly licensed, but it is intended for private use and not for producing other products for sale).....

Once you own the licensed fabric, you can do whatever you want with it, including making items for resale, despite what any assertions that you read  on the selvage or on the internet.  Here is a website dedicated to actual court cases to back that up:

http://www.tabberone.com/Trademarks/trademarks.shtml

Message 6 of 35
latest reply

@orangehound wrote:

The NFL and Disney are pretty active at going after copyright violators ... those would be two products that are high risk for receiving an additional copyright infringement.

If the fabric is licensed, then there is no copyright or trademark infringement in re-using the fabric. Here's the Disney case:

http://www.tabberone.com/Trademarks/DisneyLawsuit/DisneyLawsuit.shtml

Message 7 of 35
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

@orangehound wrote:

If the fabric is licensed, then there is no copyright or trademark infringement in re-using the fabric. Here's the Disney case:

http://www.tabberone.com/Trademarks/DisneyLawsuit/DisneyLawsuit.shtml

That's not really a case, since there's no court decision ... that's just Disney lawyers abandoning an objection because it would cost them too much to pursue.

Listen, I'm not a lawyer, just a pragmatist.  The bottom line is that certain companies will object to copyrighted material on eBay and eBay will discipline sellers because of it, up to suspending their accounts.  The seller may be perfectly right, but they face a prolonged battle to get unsuspended ... my perspective is "why even put yourself in this situation"?  To sell a $5 item with copyrighted art that might yield a $1 profit?   I'll let others battle these big boys, and I'll find some other way to sell those products.

Message 8 of 35
latest reply

Have you seen the other hundreds of Mickey mask listed.

I list fashion items, but the stores are too risky right now. Decided to pull my machine out and reinvent my business.

Why would people buy fabric, if they can’t craft with it? 

Message 9 of 35
latest reply

Thank you.  I thought I would make mask wearing, a bit colorful. 
20 years on eBay and I was shocked. All the licensed fabric out there and you can’t craft a thing or sell it. Wow?

Message 10 of 35
latest reply

I can’t list for 3 days. I’m a total Girl Scout, so getting in trouble hurts me to my toes.

i guess I will try on Monday and wish for the best.

Message 11 of 35
latest reply

Thank you for posting this. I tried to contact the law firm. No answer yet.

I apologized and said I didn’t know. Glad I’ve never watched a thing on netflex or signed up for it.

I didn’t think of this idea on my own. I noticed tons of mask being made. I grabbed my machine and got busy. Fashion items are not selling much and the resale stores are too risky for social distancing in Texas. 

Message 12 of 35
latest reply

Lots of copyright issues with your products.

Message 13 of 35
latest reply

All the licensed fabric out there and you can’t craft a thing or sell it.

You can craft with it.

You can't sell the crafted item.

OTOH - the copyright on Mickey Mouse runs out in 2024.  (He'll still be trademarked though.)

Message 14 of 35
latest reply

guess they better chase down all the Hand made Mickey Mouse baby blankets, Coca Cola crochet hats, home made Coca Cola bracelets, earrings. Home made Crown Royal face mask, Home made Marvel book bags, face mask & dog bandanas, Home made Elvis hats, scarves. Home made NCAA face mask, NFL face mask, Hand crafted RC cola wooden Bird houses, yard signs. Home made Donald Trump fabric face mask, Looney Tunes home made baby clothes. Winnie the 

Pooh crafted nursery items. Home made Marilyn Monroe face mask. 
ALL SOLD ON EBAY RIGHT NOW. 

Message 15 of 35
latest reply