cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Monthly chat - June 8th at 1:00 pm PT - All About Stores

Hi everyone! This month's chat you’ll have an opportunity to talk to Chuck, who’s the Product Operations Manager from the Stores team. Start brainstorming your questions for Chuck before hopping on the Monthly Chat board on June 8th at 1:00 pm PT. 

Can't make it to the chat? Leave your questions here and we'll circle back around after the chat next week.

Remember to keep on topic for Stores. If you have other non-Store related questions please create a new thread. 

-----

Edit: We've closed this post from further replies, but please come to the chat tomorrow here to ask any questions you have for Chuck! 

Jasmen,
Community Team

Message 1 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Re: Monthly chat - June 8th at 1:00 pm PT - All About Stores

Hey @dhbookds! Chuck said:

Based on your screen shot, it looks like the listing software used is padding out the white space at the end of the description. You can tell because the white space is inside the description box. I would have to see the source code to confirm this. 

If that is your listing, you may want to confirm that you are not accidently including additional carriage returns at the end of the description.

Devon,
eBay
Message 31 of 36
latest reply

@jane.marple wrote:

eBay store item pages are now missing things that make it much harder for buyers to find additional items in the seller's eBay store.

(Think impulse buying at a brick & mortar cash register.)

For example, until very recently, when I looked at an item (and the seller has an eBay store) there was a blank search box right above the item description that allowed you to search that seller's store. That is now gone.

Also, up until very recently when I looked at an item (and the seller has an eBay store) there was a button to Visit Store and also a store categories list down the left side of the item page. Those have been moved to a place that is difficult to find.

The visit store button and list of store categories have been moved all the way down to the bottom of the page. In some cases, there is a huge white space on the screen between the item description and the visit store/store categories at the bottom of the page.

Both the search box and visit store button and list of store categories should be in a place where the buyer sees them immediately - sort of like how brick & mortar stores put things right next to the cash register - so that the buyer who might have gone into the eBay store for one item might leave with multiple items they didn't even think about before starting to shop.

Hi @jane.marple! Chuck said:

Hello Jane. Indeed, there have been changes related to Stores on the listing screen. The main driver for these changes is the need to provide a more uniform experience between our desktop and mobile experience. That’s not to say exactly the same, but with similar elements and links. We are also updating our technology back-end, which has admittedly been neglected for some time, in order to provide a solid foundation for future enhancements.

I appreciate your feedback on the placement of the Store search and link and have passed this along to the Stores product team. 

Regarding the white space between the description and Store category area, I have seen this happen before and it is usually caused by adding additional carriage returns (vertical spaces) to the description. Sometimes this can be introduced by third-party listing software. This said, I would love to see a link to an item that is doing that for you so I can investigate further. 

There are more details on the Stores-related item page change here. https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/Improving-your-Store-s-presence-on-the-View-Item-page-an...

Velvet,
eBay
Message 32 of 36
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

Personally, I think this footer looks very "awkward" down at the bottom of the listing......is there any thought to moving it above the IS? 

Thanks for the suggestion. Where things display on the Item screen is a constant topic of discussion here and I will pass this feedback along.

Devon,
eBay
Message 33 of 36
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

Chuck........thanks for coming........ 

Relative to categories in stores.....we have a choice of whether to use ebay cats or our own.  I have chosen forever to use ebay cats.  In the recent addition to the store (listing) footer (don't know what else to call it), my cats show.....not the EBAY cats.......as shown below.  I don't want  my  cats to show there and it seems counter intuitive to chose Ebay Cats and then have my store cats show.  Frankly, I don't want to kill the store cats.......at some point I may decide to go back to them.......  Any solution?

Screenshot (267).png

Hi @dhbookds! Chuck said:

We call that area on the listing page the Store Category Module and you are correct that it currently always shows your Stores categories if they are available. We are working on having the Store Category Module honor the category choice you make on your Storefront. We expect this change to go live by some time in July. 

Velvet,
eBay
Message 34 of 36
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

Relative to List versus gallery view.............  When one searches, we are given a chance to choose either list or gallery view and to customize the search with various options, which includes List or Gallery.  One assumes when the customization is done, it should be sticky......the choices should stay.  Unfortunately, it doesn't. I have to customize every 3 or 4 days......and I do alot of searching.  Hopefully, you could pass that along to the right team.........  I want list view because the information is not truncated as it is in Gallery view.

Bringing that to the store level:  List View is not available at all on the store landing page..... On subsequent pages (after See All) it is available.......but I've already chosen it in customization why do I have to chose it again in every store that I go to?  If standardization is going to be offered......it should be standard throughout the site... Humans are creatures of habit.......and it's very irritating to have to repeat actions. 

Thanks for the feedback on the Store-branded search. I will pass this along to the team.

Devon,
eBay
Message 35 of 36
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

Also, relative to how categories are shown on the store landing page......why have a small box, that can easily be overlooked,  that says "show categories" and requires a click...why not just show the categories?    The KiSS principle. 

Great question. Our research shows that buyers are more likely to take an action to watch or purchase an item when the inventory itself takes center stage. While categories are a valuable navigational tool, we made the decision to make the category panel one click away in order to show more inventory on the first page load. 

Further, the new category panel that slides in from the left is showing increased engagement over the previous iteration that expanded down and across the entire screen. We are continuing to monitor the performance of category navigation and make tweaks as needed.

Velvet,
eBay
Message 36 of 36
latest reply