cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Markdown Manager - "Skipped Price"

How can we all get the folks at corporate to stop the "Skipped Price" train from running off the tracks?  Markdown Manager is now a disaster for us sellers who love giving our buyers a sale.  Was it broken?  Is "Skipped Price" the fix?

Message 1 of 183
latest reply
182 REPLIES 182

Re: Markdown Manager - "Skipped Price"

I'm a 20 year seller and have never known eBay to acknowledge they made a mistake.  My sales have totally dropped since they "improved" the promotion policy. eBay loves shortcuts, instead of punishing offenders who cheat on pricing, they simply assume we are all cheaters and punish us equally.  They have rendered the promotions program useless. If I list at true selling price and wait 2 weeks to mark it down and then when I relist, have to wait 2 weeks again, it simply won't work.  I have to increase my listings on other venues where I have some freedom to market my products.

I love this venue but hate those who make is such an autocratic venue

Message 16 of 183
latest reply

Their new policy ruined my ability to do my annual Independence Day sale of historic silver coins to patriotic buyers. My end of the month relisting of unsold items ruined it. Thanks for that ebay. What I've been doing since 2013 is no longer possible.

In testing, it appears GTC listings are not bothered by this new rule. All of my GTC items went right into another sale while new relistings were refused entry to my sale with the "Skipped Price" error. Some of these GTC listings renewed within 5 days of properly being added to the sale. I wonder if this can be a satisfactory workaround for yet another ebay inflicted punishment?

More wasted time for a call to ebay confirmed this 14-day rule is not a glitch but a policy change. It is becoming so tedious and tiring to be an ebay seller.

Message 17 of 183
latest reply

@guitarstable wrote:
are you kidding??? In every walk of life there are cheaters but you feel that a few cheaters justify punishing the majority of sellers. You think that your reasoning is insulting to me and everyone who markets in ethical ways. The new policy makes markdowns and other promotions no long possible to use.

I suggest you take a look at the FTC guidelines that describe deceptive sales:

http://www.lawpublish.com/ftc-decprice.html

Ebay is putting rules in place to prevent such sales..........from any seller........ It's not a punishment but instead a response to these rules and the 100 million $ lawsuit that was decided against a company named Wish.....  at least in my opinion........

Message 18 of 183
latest reply

This new policy is so stupid, I offer a promotion of multiple order discount. I want to offer this promotion forever, but ebay now wants me to wait 14 days between each time the sale ends to do this? In what world did this make sense to the engineers at ebay?
Message 19 of 183
latest reply

HOW CAN YOU GAME THE SYSTEM????? HOW??? EXPLAIN

Message 20 of 183
latest reply

how can the system be gamed????? my doing a sale????
Message 21 of 183
latest reply

@guitarstable wrote:
are you kidding??? In every walk of life there are cheaters but you feel that a few cheaters justify punishing the majority of sellers. You think that your reasoning is insulting to me and everyone who markets in ethical ways. The new policy makes markdowns and other promotions no long possible to use.

So why did ebay implement the new 14 day wait.

To stick it to sellers once again?

Or to comply with rules that other companies were sued over?

I was more upset over sellers in my category pulling this garbage week in and week out and getting better placement for it because they were listing at some crazy amount, then putting it where it should be priced and calling it a sale.  If you are angry at someone it should be at them.

I am glad ebay made it more of an even playing field for those of us who price our item, rather than try to mainuplate it. 

Message 22 of 183
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

@guitarstable wrote:

I suggest you take a look at the FTC guidelines that describe deceptive sales:

http://www.lawpublish.com/ftc-decprice.html

Ebay is putting rules in place to prevent such sales..........from any seller........ It's not a punishment but instead a response to these rules and the 100 million $ lawsuit that was decided against a company named Wish.....  at least in my opinion........

I applaud your effort, but either some refuse to read or are the culprits of this because they think they can do whatever they want.

It reminds me of stores that are supposedly going out of business and run sales for years and counting.

Message 23 of 183
latest reply

@altlgz831901 wrote:

HOW CAN YOU GAME THE SYSTEM????? HOW??? EXPLAIN

Did you read the link the other poster put up?

It is illegal to raise the amount only to lower it and call it a sale.

One store got sued for millions of dollas.

Now why don't you just price the item at the amount you want.  Why the need for a phony sale.

Because it gives you better placement in search?  Because you think you are tricking your buyers that they are getting a bargain when they are not.

That is gaming the system.  Trying to get an unfair advantage but offering nothing in return other than price manipulation.

Puts honest sellers who price their items at a fair price at a disadvantage, and I am glad ebay finally did something about it.

Message 24 of 183
latest reply

@altlgz831901 wrote:
how can the system be gamed????? my doing a sale????

You are so bent at playing the victim that you will not stop to understand why ebay instituted this rule?

Message 25 of 183
latest reply

@marviolet wrote:

In a post yesterday, Tyler@ebay responded: "Hi everyone - happy to clarify here. In order to have items discounted, your items must have been listed for 14 calendar days at the same price.  In addition, the item must have not been included in another Sale event or markdown promotion within the past 14 days."

It is not a glitch, it is the new policy.  Sad.

This is true.

Message 26 of 183
latest reply

I agree with you that it makes absolutely no sense. If a buyer so chooses to buy an item that is on sale and is obviously overpriced, then they have the freedom to do so.  Changing stuff without consulting with sellers is obviously not the way eBay should go.  You have been a loyal seller and I think that your opinion should count for something.  I really think that sellers like you should be consulted.  I am a small fish in this big pond,  so I would never expect to be consulted.  You, on the other hand, is valuable to eBay.  This change does nothing for buyers or sellers.  Who benefits?  No one.  Thank you for putting things in perspective.

Message 27 of 183
latest reply

Couldn't anything official about the Skipped Price 'glitch' that I ran into this weekend. I am used to wasting hours every week on 'glitches' with promotions, shipping, and finding things on their ever changing UI. I am a small fish cleaning out my garage but would hate to have to depend on eBay for a living as a seller. After a circular conversation with CS support they finally gave me a link to the 'policy': https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/seller-updates/2018-summer/ebay-stores.html#m17-2-tb1 which states simply "eBay Stores | 2018 Summer Seller Update Starting June 25, 2018, you must list your item for 14 calendar days at the same price before you can create a markdown sale event with Promotions Manager." That being said there is definitely more involved in the new rule than is detailed (one sentence) in their policy.

Understandably eBay has to crack-down on false sales (inflated prices and everlasting sales discounting the price). BUT HOW MANY EBAY SELLERS DO THIS? Probably not a lot but like some have mentioned in this and other threads eBay is lazy and always takes the easy way out, especially if it doesn't cost them (which properly pursuing illegal sales practices would). Having worked with Product Management in a few companies this does not surprise me, they are champions at pleasing their bosses at the expense of their customers.

Will ebay listen - not likely. This latest change will be defended by Product Management as the best way to avoid ebay liability and the cost/time to actually consult with the community and deploy a more appropriate policy/fix.

My garage is almost empty and Craigslist is looking better every day

Message 28 of 183
latest reply

At least ebay gave me 200 free listings yesterday so I can test my workaround.

Message 29 of 183
latest reply

manager hasnt worked for months and for the last week the pages are all missing in formation,like amount of people that looked at the listing is all screwed up like 750 people viewed omne item next hr only 5 viewed ,most listing have nothing no zereo no nothing,why the hell am i paying for this,store 25.00 15% on shipping 15% on sales and the site is acting like it has a virus

Message 30 of 183
latest reply