cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Listings not getting enough views/sales. What can I do?

I have 58 items up for sale and barely any of them are getting a lot of views. I have a $1 handling charge to the calculated shipping. I have free shipping for only one item - is that bad? I am wondering if some of these items are better suited for other platforms like Mercari or Amazon? I am also getting some very low-ball offers for a couple items too that I've either countered or declined. I think I've described and took clear enough photos for everything. Since the new set of items posted in October, I only made 6 sales. I promoted a couple of them but no luck. I don't like to do that for all of them because it would cut into the profit. Any help or suggestions would be welcomed if you can take a look at my listings. Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Basically looks like a bunch of stuff that is outdated, found in a junk drawer. You are not selling anything that most will want, but your titles are a mess. Too many 'new' 'blue' 'excellent' etc. 

Just state what the item is in the title. All that 'other' stuff is for the written description. NOBODY will search for those words. 

1st- don't use BRAND NEW in a title for a listing as it ALREADY says that when you choose

2nd-don't use 'Blue' in the title in a checkbook that people can see it's Blue

3rd- don't sell a Checkbook cover that anyone gets for free when they buy checks

3b)-nobody uses checks anymore anyway

4- that checkbook cover is selling for $4.95 with over $6 to ship?? Wrong. 

Message 2 of 36
latest reply

Uhm....I just looked at your listings. I don't normally critique someone's inventory, but you might want to get a stick to bite on because this is going to hurt.

1. Most of your main pics of your listings are sideways.

2. Your items.....yikes. $4.85 for a used vinyl checkbook cover??🤔

3. Your condition descriptions are, well, puzzling. (T-Fal 8" frying pan looks JUST a little less than "GREAT condition"

4. Auctions are great if you have something more than one person wants 😕

5.  Did you bother to comp any of these items before listing them?

Message 3 of 36
latest reply

Lose the $1 handling charge. It's a real turn off for buyers.

Message 4 of 36
latest reply

I think you just need to list more. You have 58 items, you can go up to 250 each month for free, why not use them. May catch someone's eye and most are small, lightweight that can be bundled, buyers like to save on shipping where they can.

Message 5 of 36
latest reply

You lost me with the Mens used shaver $32 + shipping. Then a computer mouse used $2.50 + $6 shipping. Things your selling you see at thrift stores for a $1 or $2. Mcdonalds uniforms and ties and used hat? I would revaluate your inventory and remove things like this. Your computers and phones are nice items that will sell. I would say just clean it up a little. Sometimes less is more.

Message 6 of 36
latest reply

Your photos could use some work.

don't use 'Blue' in the title in a checkbook that people can see it's Blue

Colour is a rich keyword that's necessary in search if colour is an important part of the item listed, i.e., those searching on all blue instances of that particular item. Agree that things like "brand new" are a waste of space, though.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 7 of 36
latest reply

A large number of the items you have listed are things that I as an experience seller would have thrown directly in the trash or into a "Junk drawer lot". 

Ebay isn't about auctions anymore, not 1 item in 1000 listed on ebay is actually suitable for auction listings.

Message 8 of 36
latest reply

You also have to see what other people have their items listed at. No one in the market for a long obsolete iphone is going to pay $43 for yours when a bunch of sellers have the same model listed $25-$30.

Message 9 of 36
latest reply

Forget trying to sell your crock-pot. I can get a brand new one at Walmart for $30-$40. Yours is overpriced and the inside is dirty. I wouldn't even buy your used/beat-up frying pan at a garage sale let alone ebay. However, I did buy, similar to the one you are selling, a paper towel holder at a garage sale for $1.

Message 10 of 36
latest reply

Looks like a garage sell with over priced items.

The ones I go to for a few seconds and drive away.

Message 11 of 36
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

Your photos could use some work.

don't use 'Blue' in the title in a checkbook that people can see it's Blue

Colour is a rich keyword that's necessary in search if colour is an important part of the item listed, i.e., those searching on all blue instances of that particular item. Agree that things like "brand new" are a waste of space, though.

I'd say sorta depends on you're targets and what's peddled.  Whilst the odds of an eBay organic search might not be looking for "new" external search engines titling can be very important along with same in descriptive texts.  Of course, algorithms in search change and they are also topic refined, no one algorithm fits all content so, differing ones exist.  When I did the political webs or Multiple Sclerosis webs I hand tuned the content versus counting on an SEO package, SEO package might boost primary start rank up 15-20% best case.  Why its always said among web engineers vs web designers "Content Reigns King."

When I'd webstores many moons back and yea, no doubt much has changed since always put "New" in each products titles as most other places never did and made a huge difference... People shop on keywords in head.  "Buy New Northland PC Game."  Welp, bang, there I come #1 on Google even before Steam where it can be bought and downloaded. Yet on Bing (da' ding!) nope, shows a pre-own and then a pirate one for sale.

If I go, "Buy New Icewind Dale Retail Box" well Googie ain't put on the photo front per se, but, the first search entry is me.  If scroll down to the second "Shop Box" there I am, #1, even with the 25% off sale running presently.  At Bing (da ding!)  gets odd, in the shop box #1 spot is an expansion set "Icewind Dale Heart of Winter" which is mine.  Then the search slot below it for the actual game, got that too.

Now if we go, "Buy New Icewind Dale Retail Box" at eBay's search, well, we get all sorts of things albeit I still capture spot 4 and 6.  But if we just got "Icewind Dale Retail Box" with no "buy" or "new" I seem be capturing #1 and #2 spots.

Hi resolution specificity can be good in collectibles or humans who drill via keyword.  However some along the lines of say clothing more difficult.  "Buy Blue Floral Print Blouse" somewhat vague, be allot results and many not show at all due to too much specificity.  "Buy Blue Floral Rose Print Blouse", refining but still more broadband.   Now I've no clue how ladies shop for clothes other than the "man chair" in the clothing stores where I sit and fidget.  Things like, "Buy Excellent Condition Beatles White Album" might well be an expectant search at Googie.

Stuff can be tricky... I've no measure of other sellers and I know PC stuff is quite vertical market albeit theirs tons of it on this site.  But according to eBay Analytics about 29% of my page views come external.

Message 12 of 36
latest reply

I would brighten up your pics more than a bit. If it's difficult to get good lighting or if some pics just turn out dark I just use the photo editor in Windows (nothing fancy) to crop and brighten it up. Don't adjust color or tint or anything, but brightening is fine.

citizen navisurfk.jpgcitizen navisurf.jpg

Message 13 of 36
latest reply

I wish I could provide you with the answers you need but I just cancelled my store & removed my listings.  eBay has become useless to me as a source of income.  Don't expect too much positive feedback in the community.  As you see, people cannot wait to pounce on what others own.  I see it all the time; especially at the flea market.  If YOU own it, it's not so great.  If THEY own it, the item is really something.   lol  Best of luck to you!

Message 14 of 36
latest reply

@stainlessenginecovers wrote:

3b)-nobody uses checks anymore anyway

Hey, I mean... I  had to reorder checks about two years ago. After I finally used up the free checkbook they gave me when I first opened my account with the bank more than 20 years ago.

Message 15 of 36
latest reply