cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Last night ebay removed a buyer from my blocked list and allowed them to purchase.

Yes, this actually happened.  The buyer confirmed it.

Last night, I received  a call from ebay. I have a few cs numbers saved as contacts in my phone. My phone only rang once before I could get it. I rarely answer anyway and do not want to talk to ebay at night.  2-3 minutes later, someone purchased an item and I recognized the user ID.  I looked it up in my email and yes, they purchased something a while back, no questions and returned it.  The item stated what it fit.

Returns have exploded since June. People who ask no questions that could dictate whether something would fit and then just open a return that the item doesnt fit go on my bloked buyer list.  It costs us money and time . We block a lot of people to save ourseleves the headache of dealing with buyers like this.  I thought it was our right to get out of the way of bad transactions.

I looked at my blocked list, which I back up to a file on my computer and there was a string of characters and deleted at the end.  Ive seen this before when an account is closed I thought.  I looked at my backup which is copied directly from the blocked buyer/bidder and they were on it, they were blocked.  I messaged the buyer and asked politely if they had ebay call me. They replied "Yes, i wanted to buy this item and we were blocked".  So the ebay rep unblocked this buyer.

So now CS is removing ID's from our blocked lists? That is completely insane.  That can clearly cause us all kinds of harm if a buyer can just call and have themselves removed. I feel like it goes way too far.  I had a buyer this year get extremely abusive going so far as to call and leave violent homophobic messages on my phone.  I kept the messages and the persons account sold uninterupted even after he responded about the phone calls via ebay messages.

I have been contacted before by message that a buyer would like to purchase but, do not recall someone being unblocked.  I have saved the correspondance and I have an idea people will say it isnt so but it is absolutely the case with the buyer confirming it.   It made me sick to my stomach.  This is my store and I pay a lot to do business here.  I follow ebays rules even when they are getting really bad. Apparently I dont habe the right to protect myself from harm in one of the last ways that exists.

The only reason we block anyone is the feedback and return systems are such a mess for sellers with zero fault being placed on the buyer regardless of when its obvious.  Sellers are rife for abuse as every buyer is not going to be fair as we all know.  Sellers who have sold for a couple of decades and in some cases tens of thousands of items can start to see what questions and actions will cause problems as conversations involving this comes up frequently here.

Being able to block buyers who have cost us money in the past which could have been avoided by asking a simple question, is more important now than ever.  With free returns being pushed down our throats (which it is or supposedly we may not show up well in search results) people may think its fine to just buy and try on and not even attempt to ask if said item may fit. They may do it once and see how easy it is to just guess, they may do it 5 times if we cant stop them. That would be ebay sanctioned abuse.

So now is ebay forcing us to do business with buyers who weve blocked?  I think that is going too far and putting us in harms way after we are stepping out of it.

Message 1 of 232
latest reply
231 REPLIES 231

Re: Last night ebay removed a buyer from my blocked list and allowed them to purchase.

@stemart-9760 wrote:

@Anonymous

what is the point of having a block bidders list if customer service will remove the person on it so they can buy the item? I would really be interestedinterested to hear a member of the staff weigh in on this.

The point is the same as allowing a seller to set their own return policy, apparently. Tell 'em what they want to hear and then just do your own thing.

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 16 of 232
latest reply

Re: Last night ebay removed a buyer from my blocked list and allowed them to purchase.

Supposedly from selling us a return shipping label.  Its been mentioned many times that ebay gets better pricing from usps but doesnt pass it all on to us.  Not sure how true that is.If its not true then, its just broken system with negatives all for us and ebay.

In some cases ebay has been sending buyers cheaper items after the sale in which case the typical buyer may send back said commodity item to save a few bucks at the sellers expense.  We cant all just price lower than the next guy.

Message 17 of 232
latest reply

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

I'm really sorry this happened to you.  I have never read of CS removing an id from a BBL.

But Ebay did announce last year that such a bidder could circumvent blocks if they really wanted the item.  

And a complete and accurate listing protects against SNAD.

Maybe. Sometimes not so much. Read my prior post. Buyer flat out lied.

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 18 of 232
latest reply

What, you thought you could get in the way of corporate America?  Remember that Meg Whitman became a failed Republican candidate. After Whitman came  Donahoe straight from Bain, Mitt Romney's old firm and one of the companies that acts as corporate police.   

The bottom line is that Ebay does not want want some insignificant seller like myself to make a buyer upset because I have blocked that person.  I believe that Ebay will eventually remove the blocked buyer list.  Amazon does not have such a list for third party sellers.  But at least you have the right to refuse a sale by canceling the transaction either thorugh Ebay or refunding thorugh Paypal.  Such an action might generate a neg.  But most of us can handle a neg now and again.

Message 19 of 232
latest reply

@the_fancy_fox wrote:

All I can say is if eBay is really doing this, they can try and make me sell to this person. Operative word, try.

if eBay can decide not to allow a seller to sell on their platform even if that seller really really really wants to sell here, I keep the same option for myself open for bad buyers I do not want to do business with.

I wrote a program  where everything about the sale gets entered. Everyone I have ever blocked is in there and why. Just the act of entering sale info into the database catches them. Name, address, city, even zips will throw a flag.

That said, someone doesn’t get on my do not sell to list without a really good reason.

just had a nice one, person bought and item and opened a SNAD. Claimed it was used, package had been opened,and not the size I said it was. I approved the claim and sent the label.

Within hours I get an email saying they were sorry and that they had made a mistake and it’s exactly as I said, was new and the package had NOT been opened but it was not what they needed so they were sending it back. I mean really? Thanks for stealing $10 from me.

Why would I give this person another shot at me?

I hope you reported that buyer to ebay. We all know that some of them out and out lie to enable a return forcing the seller to pay shipping. But to have them come right out and admit it, Wow! If they were so sorry, they should have selected the honest reason for return.

With your ability ot create the mentioned program, you should be working for ebay as a programmer!!

Message 20 of 232
latest reply

@soccerteeth wrote:

Supposedly from selling us a return shipping label.  Its been mentioned many times that ebay gets better pricing from usps but doesnt pass it all on to us.  Not sure how true that is.If its not true then, its just broken system with negatives all for us and ebay.

In some cases ebay has been sending buyers cheaper items after the sale in which case the typical buyer may send back said commodity item to save a few bucks at the sellers expense.  We cant all just price lower than the next guy.

eBay pays USPS a contracted amount for return labels. It’s different than the original shipping label & alleged discounted rate eBay isn’t passing on. With return labels, they pay USPS a flat fee for a certain number of return shipments per year (unless that’s changed). 

I highly doubt eBay makes money off returns. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 21 of 232
latest reply

Rhere is more than just one type of reason to put some one on your blocked bidder list.  My BBL is very short. All but one or two are on it not because I thought they may rip me off again but because they trearened bodily harm to me or my employee's. ( idon't have any). I'd be ticked if one of them some how got off that list!

Message 22 of 232
latest reply

Well then theyre hurting us for no profit if that is the case.  It really seems like they need more employees to handle the fact that there are many different types of sellers who are highly successful on their platform.

Message 23 of 232
latest reply

How does eBay make more money if the buyer sends the item back? They refund the FVF so at most they kept what...:a few cents in listing fees if there were any? 

They don't always have to refund the fees.  Got a claim "found if favor of the buyer"?  ebay keeps the fees. Paid extra to list in another category?  These or any upgrades are not refundable,  etc. 

Give a partial refund to a buyer?  eBay keeps the total fee amount. 

I was under the impression also that the final value fees assesed/paid on shipping were never refunded.  I just spent some time looking for information on that topic, but there is none. 

Message 24 of 232
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

How does eBay make more money if the buyer sends the item back? They refund the FVF so at most they kept what...:a few cents in listing fees if there were any? 

They don't always have to refund the fees.  Got a claim "found if favor of the buyer"?  ebay keeps the fees. Paid extra to list in another category?  These or any upgrades are not refundable,  etc. 

Give a partial refund to a buyer?  eBay keeps the total fee amount. 

I was under the impression also that the final value fees assesed/paid on shipping were never refunded.  I just spent some time looking for information on that topic, but there is none. 

If you issue a partial refund, all it takes is a phone call to get a FVF credit.

And the FVF on shipping is refunded, ebay does not keep it.

Message 25 of 232
latest reply

Block them again.  If they take them off then block them again.  Best regards

Message 26 of 232
latest reply

@auctionpet wrote:

@the_fancy_fox wrote:

All I can say is if eBay is really doing this, they can try and make me sell to this person. Operative word, try.

if eBay can decide not to allow a seller to sell on their platform even if that seller really really really wants to sell here, I keep the same option for myself open for bad buyers I do not want to do business with.

I wrote a program  where everything about the sale gets entered. Everyone I have ever blocked is in there and why. Just the act of entering sale info into the database catches them. Name, address, city, even zips will throw a flag.

That said, someone doesn’t get on my do not sell to list without a really good reason.

just had a nice one, person bought and item and opened a SNAD. Claimed it was used, package had been opened,and not the size I said it was. I approved the claim and sent the label.

Within hours I get an email saying they were sorry and that they had made a mistake and it’s exactly as I said, was new and the package had NOT been opened but it was not what they needed so they were sending it back. I mean really? Thanks for stealing $10 from me.

Why would I give this person another shot at me?

I hope you reported that buyer to ebay. We all know that some of them out and out lie to enable a return forcing the seller to pay shipping. But to have them come right out and admit it, Wow! If they were so sorry, they should have selected the honest reason for return.

With your ability ot create the mentioned program, you should be working for ebay as a programmer!!

There really is no point in reporting them. eBay rather sellers fail so they can jack up the fees. If buyers like mine are running around helping eBay achieve that goal, you really think there’s a chance in hades of getting them sanctioned?

As for the programming job, LOL It really is sad when as a user you can see what’s wrong and how the program is pulling the incorrect data and the people ebay hires to do the programming can’t see it.

like the time I reported that fedx calculation would not display in my listing if the package was over 79” And after testing and posting numerous screen shots I was told it was because I did not ship internationally. Totally disproved that and was told “we will get back to you” uh huh.

Couldnt  pay me enough to work for this company. Total waste of time to try and help them.

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 27 of 232
latest reply

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

I'm really sorry this happened to you.  I have never read of CS removing an id from a BBL.

But Ebay did announce last year that such a bidder could circumvent blocks if they really wanted the item.  

Yes, buyers are supposed to ask questions.  However, they may not get a true answer if they ask.  Listing that have complete and accurate info, all the info a buyer needs to make an informed buying decision, may see higher sales as buyers may just hit the back button if the listing does not have important info, such as measurements.  And a complete and accurate listing protects against SNAD.

As much as I agree with you about bad sellers (there are a metric buttload of them on Ebay for sure) I gotta disagree with you here.

If a buyer is on a seller's BBL, they're there for a reason. Doesn't matter what the reason is, the fact that they're there should be reason enough for Ebay to leave them there and NOT go around a seller's block.

I have a BBL. I do not block slow payers. I do not block non-payers (other than the two strike setting).  I do not block buyers who ask questions, no matter how many or how stupid the questions may be.

I DO block people who show their tails in the forum. I do block people who attempt to strong arm or who become abusive.  Call it being proactive. That 's MY right as long as the BBL exists, and it shouldn't be overridden.  If Ebay is going to go around a seller's BBL, then they just need to remove the feature completely.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 28 of 232
latest reply

@soccerteeth wrote:

Yes, this actually happened.  The buyer confirmed it.

Last night, I received  a call from ebay. I have a few cs numbers saved as contacts in my phone. My phone only rang once before I could get it. I rarely answer anyway and do not want to talk to ebay at night.  2-3 minutes later, someone purchased an item and I recognized the user ID.  I looked it up in my email and yes, they purchased something a while back, no questions and returned it.  The item stated what it fit.

Returns have exploded since June. People who ask no questions that could dictate whether something would fit and then just open a return that the item doesnt fit go on my bloked buyer list.  It costs us money and time . We block a lot of people to save ourseleves the headache of dealing with buyers like this.  I thought it was our right to get out of the way of bad transactions.

I looked at my blocked list, which I back up to a file on my computer and there was a string of characters and deleted at the end.  Ive seen this before when an account is closed I thought.  I looked at my backup which is copied directly from the blocked buyer/bidder and they were on it, they were blocked.  I messaged the buyer and asked politely if they had ebay call me. They replied "Yes, i wanted to buy this item and we were blocked".  So the ebay rep unblocked this buyer.

So now CS is removing ID's from our blocked lists? That is completely insane.  That can clearly cause us all kinds of harm if a buyer can just call and have themselves removed. I feel like it goes way too far.  I had a buyer this year get extremely abusive going so far as to call and leave violent homophobic messages on my phone.  I kept the messages and the persons account sold uninterupted even after he responded about the phone calls via ebay messages.

I have been contacted before by message that a buyer would like to purchase but, do not recall someone being unblocked.  I have saved the correspondance and I have an idea people will say it isnt so but it is absolutely the case with the buyer confirming it.   It made me sick to my stomach.  This is my store and I pay a lot to do business here.  I follow ebays rules even when they are getting really bad. Apparently I dont habe the right to protect myself from harm in one of the last ways that exists.

The only reason we block anyone is the feedback and return systems are such a mess for sellers with zero fault being placed on the buyer regardless of when its obvious.  Sellers are rife for abuse as every buyer is not going to be fair as we all know.  Sellers who have sold for a couple of decades and in some cases tens of thousands of items can start to see what questions and actions will cause problems as conversations involving this comes up frequently here.

Being able to block buyers who have cost us money in the past which could have been avoided by asking a simple question, is more important now than ever.  With free returns being pushed down our throats (which it is or supposedly we may not show up well in search results) people may think its fine to just buy and try on and not even attempt to ask if said item may fit. They may do it once and see how easy it is to just guess, they may do it 5 times if we cant stop them. That would be ebay sanctioned abuse.

So now is ebay forcing us to do business with buyers who weve blocked?  I think that is going too far and putting us in harms way after we are stepping out of it.

brian@ebay

Please enlighten us as to why a CS would feel free to remove a buyer from a seller's blocked list

Message 29 of 232
latest reply

If a customer service rep did in fact remove the buyer from the sellers blocked bidder list (and I don’t doubt the seller is telling the truth here), then it’s a fireable offence IMHO. Customer service has absolutely no right to do that. I’m not in favor of anyone losing their livelihood but this is just unacceptable. A customer service rep has absolutely no right to undermine a seller like that. They should not be allowed to do this. 

Message 30 of 232
latest reply