cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it normal for eBay to ask for DL, bank statements, receipts after being restricted?

Is it normal for eBay to ask for DL, bank statements, receipts after being restricted? Are they going to flip out if I redact the prices on the receipts or redact the DL info.? I don't feel comfortable providing the first two pieces of information considering eBay's recent history.

Message 1 of 37
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Is it normal for eBay to ask for DL, bank statements, receipts after being restricted?

"eBay regularly does this to sellers who suddenly go from selling a few odds and ends to expensive stuff, especially when the seller is getting negative feedback on said items "

Since, you do not regularly sell high-priced items, eBay wants to make sure that the  high-value items you are selling have not been stolen.  Hence, the request for receipts.

eBay also wants to make sure that you are the actual person who is listing on this account..DL, identity verification  etc.

If you do not provide the requested information, chances are slim to none that the restriction will ever  be lifted.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 30 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Yes it is common for eBay to vett you as a seller moving forward on the eBay platform and especially if you are currently under some kind of restriction.

Good Luck Selling!

Message 2 of 37
latest reply

@psychecafe63 wrote:

Are they going to flip out if I redact the prices on the receipts or redact the DL info.? I don't feel comfortable providing the first two pieces of information considering eBay's recent history.

Best to Contact ebay to inquire as to what information you are permitted to redact from your submissions.

Message 3 of 37
latest reply

@psychecafe63 wrote:

Is it normal for eBay to ask for DL, bank statements, receipts after being restricted? Are they going to flip out if I redact the prices on the receipts or redact the DL info.? I don't feel comfortable providing the first two pieces of information considering eBay's recent history.

Frankly, after your recent history, I'm rather surprised eBay would consider lifting your restrictions. 

Good luck with your future transactions. 

Message 4 of 37
latest reply

Explain your surprise if you would. Thanks. Seems like kind of a cold/mean thing to say considering the individual recieved a full refund and a free generator, don't you think? And, again, over what? Some scratched plastic?

Message 5 of 37
latest reply

• What is the restriction for?
  • How long is the penalty?
  • Did a competitor report your listings?

Good Luck Selling!

Message 6 of 37
latest reply

@psychecafe63 wrote:

What is "DL"?

Message 7 of 37
latest reply

Driver's License

Message 8 of 37
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

@psychecafe63 wrote:

What is "DL"?

Drivers License. 

Good Luck Selling!

Message 9 of 37
latest reply

I'd love to supply that information, but every time I supply any information of eBay's actions it gets deleted. I wouldn't be surprised if this comment gets deleted.

Message 10 of 37
latest reply

@psychecafe63 wrote:

I'd love to supply that information, but every time I supply any information of eBay's actions it gets deleted. I wouldn't be surprised if this comment gets deleted.

No problem.  Not sure we can help you any further?

Make sure when you call to get a call reference number.  Many sellers report here in the forum when they call or fax items for verification they do not get any response back.  Just make sure you get a name and call number to match up after you send the required info.

Good Luck Selling! 

Message 11 of 37
latest reply

Oh, yeah, I record calls any time it's mentioned that the call will be recorded. California is a two-party consent state, so I don't have to say anything after they do.

Message 12 of 37
latest reply

Actually, if they're calling from another state how's that work? Anyway, that's another question.

Message 13 of 37
latest reply

Wait, what? Can they do that? That seems like a smart tactic... Is there any way to check to see if this is what happened?

"Did a competitor report your listings?"

Message 14 of 37
latest reply

@psychecafe63 wrote:

Wait, what? Can they do that? That seems like a smart tactic... Is there any way to check to see if this is what happened?

"Did a competitor report your listings?"

You would have gotten a message from ebay letting you know about any violation.   I was just trying to figure if you got a

• VERO violation or a
  • selling standard violation.

No worries, it really is not that important.

Good Luck Selling!

Message 15 of 37
latest reply