cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is ebay still dead in 2024

Yes. Although certain answers on google ..... will say otherwise. Facebook marketplace is still the number one platform,aside from selling locally. Now if your just selling Chinese knockoffs ,then ebay may still be an ok place to sell. But for an individual,part time seller, or hustler, its the absolute worst. ebays numbers have ONLY went down consistently for around 5 years now,maybe longer. But I'm sure that if you're searching this,it's because you've noticed your 0 views and 0 sales, right? Personally I barely list anything on the platform anymore,there's really no use. Especially when ebay is not even close to being the #1 selling platform. Things like Etsy and Facebook marketplace are killing it,where as ebay.... Is being killed. But it's mostly the fault of the people who run ebay,not yours. Although people will tell you that's it's my fault,or you're fault,it's clearly not. Nobody likes ebay anymore,and ebay doesn't like you. Items that sold in the hundreds daily,will never get views or sales,especially if you don't use promoted listings. But they sell locally and on other platforms constantly. My listed video game console gets 4 views in a month on ebay,while it gets sold immediately in person. Daily. But years ago on ebay,it would also sell immediately. People don't suddenly dislike video games,or retro games,or consoles. My pictures aren't suddenly horrible,and my pricing is still spot on. So how is this even happening? Because ebay is a dead platform.You're better off having a yard sale or getting  a booth at a local vendor mall. That's how I've been mainly selling for the last year and its great. Not everyone has that luxury though. But yes ,don't worry,ebay is still dying it's slow death. It's going down with disney ,AAA gaming, "mainstream" news, streaming services. All things that you probably think are making millions right? Wrong,some of them are infact losing billions.(Not all companies or games are this bad,I understand) Yes,these companies and platforms are not successful. Meaning no,they do not make money. This includes ebay. Thats not to say that money isn't coming in to these companies,it's to say that they are bleeding more than they have,struggling to stay above a yearly loss or worse numbers than the year before(consistently),and failing miserably. Even twitch,the largest video/gaming platform where some of their users make millions each years. They are losing money,even though video games are a 150 billion dollar industry. Disney lost billions last year,and the year before,and the year before...Numbers have tanked,and are still consistently tanking here at ebay. Woke is broke,dinosaurs are out of touch, and scammy practices are being out more often and more swiftly today. Nobody is falling for the **bleep** anymore and people are smarter than these ceos think. Google lies about these things,news outlets regurgitate the same garbage, and ebay trolls will be here to tell you otherwise.  

Message 1 of 93
latest reply
92 REPLIES 92

Re: Is ebay still dead in 2024

I've never bought or sold anything on facebook marketplace. And i don't know anyone who has.

Message 46 of 93
latest reply

@monroe67 wrote:

" 'ebays numbers have ONLY went down'

This sais it all really....."

Assuming you intended to spell "says" the way you did . . . . .
Unfortunately, I must agree with you.  

It seems the Queen's or King's English isn't what it used to be.  

It hasn't changed - we just get to see it written now. I grew up around people who spoke like that, and was also raised by them, including my great grandparents.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 47 of 93
latest reply

eBay started to die for me in fall of 2022.  Never improved.  Even though, Marketplace has helped me a lot; too often you get time wasters & inconsiderate people who don't show up or contact you.  I thought I would have 7 sales over the weekend.  Ended up with just 3.  eBay is a lost cause; especially being Canadian.  Cross border shipping, for small, inexpensive items has become ridiculous.  It does not help that, no matter how cheap the price of an item, US buyers expect tracking.  I cannot sell for $5-8 & charge $10-12 for S/H.  I will still make attempts at selling here but won't make it a priority.  I want to cut down on buyers who get refunds AND keep the item AND leave a negative when they are the thieves.

Message 48 of 93
latest reply

I don't know what you mean.  lol  Just on Sat, I posted an ad that has well over 800 views already & received 14 messages.  1 buyer was paying online.  Did not happen.  1 buyer was stopping by in the early evening.  No show.  Great customers!  😛

Message 49 of 93
latest reply

@squinkercat59 wrote:

It's not dead for me, nor for many others.  You've just got to have what people want to buy. I sell mostly vintage, where there aren't already 500 of something listed, and I only have slower sales when I have slacked off for one reason or another and haven't done any new listings. I get out of it, what I put into it. It's hard work to run a business. Casual sellers selling their cast-off clothes or dollar store merchandise are NEVER going to sell well.

No kidding.  How rich I could be if I just got my butt in gear and listed more of my inventory in a timely fashion.  Still I'm making a full time living with rarely more than 50 items listed at a time.  

Message 50 of 93
latest reply

Don't know about dead but seems to be on life support. Not much happening my end. No way am I paying for promoted listings as not making much anyway. Worst mistake I made was buying products that had Best Before Dates. The amount of product I have thrown out because no ones looking for what ever reason is annoying. You would think Ebay would push every seller without limitations re promotions etc as I reckon they are losing heaps of sales. Anyway what do I know.

Message 51 of 93
latest reply

Ebay is dead?

They keep depositing money in to my bank account.

How do i get them to stop?

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 52 of 93
latest reply

I actually met someone who did last weekend -- a nice antique table.

I see it as best for furniture.

Message 53 of 93
latest reply

I'm done very soon with this crap. eBay screws the seller hard! I had a car accident where I had been rear-ended. I was on my way to the post office at a red light and then, Wham-O. 

Seven medium boxes flew out and all over the place, along with my spare tire. Being that its winter people don't slow down early enough. 

I was injured and was in the E.R. for a day.

I had emailed my buyers that I had to refund their items and showed them my car. I even showed myself in one of the photos because a buyer didn't believe me until I did it. 

eBay has penalized me now because I had to refund their money. EBay now charges another 6% because my performance has dropped. Doesn't matter that I have 100% feedback and good comments. 

I'm going the way of Facebook, Amazon, Craigslist, or Etsy. Forbes stated that eBay has lost thousands and rightly so.  

Message 54 of 93
latest reply

Have fun on Amazon and Etsy.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 55 of 93
latest reply

@buzzapparel wrote:

Facebook marketplace is an absolute nightmare of epic proportions. It’s good for selling old furniture, used concrete planters and bikes and such but it sucks for nearly everything you can think of. The amount of time wasted and difficulty in meeting up with one person who will then play the lowball game makes it unsavory. 

Yes, very.

Not to mention every potential buyer involves messaging...

Every single one makes an offer, even if I clearly post "Firm price"

It's irritating to me, when people ask questions that are explained in the ad.
It also appears a good portion of people don't really understand the basics of how to complete a purchase, they don't seem to grasp they're not going to fit a riding mower in the back of a Honda Civic (just for example) but that's what they show up with... In some cases it seems they don't even grasp that they actually have to meet, with me, and bring money, all of it, then they can inspect the item and thank you have a nice day. Last but not least some basically expect a "warranty," don't grasp that the item is not new and thus it may have some defects, I've had a few try to return items (this part might be bonus thou since obviously it's "no returns" and this is one platform where the seller can enforce this).
It's bad thou, I think a fair portion of buyers on Marketplace are intellectually challenged.
Worse is having to set up the appointment, it's either at my home (as you said, unsavory to me)...
Or I get to drive myself out of my way to someplace preferably near but it's still more time...

And then a good half of them don't show up.

I am sure it works "wonderful" for the usual folks who think nothing of not paying taxes, which that also gives it that unsavory flavor.

Message 56 of 93
latest reply

I sell to people online who give me a fair price, pays shipping and I get my money immediately. If the person is near me I drive the items to them. I don't have to worry about fees, or managed payments or buyers who rip me off. I found its much easier to sell other places. 

Message 57 of 93
latest reply

I can not see how...
Even after you add shipping and fees if you price your items at yard sale levels, how you're not getting sales here. No way.

But looking at the items you have for sale here, they're nowhere near yard sale price levels.

Not even close.

Stuff you have listed for $400 wouldn't sell for $50 at a yard sale, and you're way overpriced even by ebay standards... I will say thou, what I can barely get $140 for on Marketplace (and I have to time it, like seasonally) I can easily get $220-$240 for on ebay and just list it and it sells.

There is also location, if you live on the side of a busy main thoroughfare of a road then you can have yard sales almost daily for years and people will show... But if you live in a cul-de-sac in a little HOA-controlled neighborhood your mileage will be far lower.

Message 58 of 93
latest reply

@dogofwar777 wrote:

I don't have to worry about fees, or managed payments or buyers who rip me off. 

I don't worry about fees.

I don't worry about managed payments.

I don't worry about buyers ripping me off.

What makes you and me so different?

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 59 of 93
latest reply

I sold 2 cars and a couple of large business items on Marketplace recently for over 30k.  And someone is coming to pick up another large item on the 24th for $400...it works well with large, unshippable items for me.

And the shippable stuff stays on eBay.  😁

KrazzyKats
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 60 of 93
latest reply