cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is ebay still dead in 2024

Yes. Although certain answers on google ..... will say otherwise. Facebook marketplace is still the number one platform,aside from selling locally. Now if your just selling Chinese knockoffs ,then ebay may still be an ok place to sell. But for an individual,part time seller, or hustler, its the absolute worst. ebays numbers have ONLY went down consistently for around 5 years now,maybe longer. But I'm sure that if you're searching this,it's because you've noticed your 0 views and 0 sales, right? Personally I barely list anything on the platform anymore,there's really no use. Especially when ebay is not even close to being the #1 selling platform. Things like Etsy and Facebook marketplace are killing it,where as ebay.... Is being killed. But it's mostly the fault of the people who run ebay,not yours. Although people will tell you that's it's my fault,or you're fault,it's clearly not. Nobody likes ebay anymore,and ebay doesn't like you. Items that sold in the hundreds daily,will never get views or sales,especially if you don't use promoted listings. But they sell locally and on other platforms constantly. My listed video game console gets 4 views in a month on ebay,while it gets sold immediately in person. Daily. But years ago on ebay,it would also sell immediately. People don't suddenly dislike video games,or retro games,or consoles. My pictures aren't suddenly horrible,and my pricing is still spot on. So how is this even happening? Because ebay is a dead platform.You're better off having a yard sale or getting  a booth at a local vendor mall. That's how I've been mainly selling for the last year and its great. Not everyone has that luxury though. But yes ,don't worry,ebay is still dying it's slow death. It's going down with disney ,AAA gaming, "mainstream" news, streaming services. All things that you probably think are making millions right? Wrong,some of them are infact losing billions.(Not all companies or games are this bad,I understand) Yes,these companies and platforms are not successful. Meaning no,they do not make money. This includes ebay. Thats not to say that money isn't coming in to these companies,it's to say that they are bleeding more than they have,struggling to stay above a yearly loss or worse numbers than the year before(consistently),and failing miserably. Even twitch,the largest video/gaming platform where some of their users make millions each years. They are losing money,even though video games are a 150 billion dollar industry. Disney lost billions last year,and the year before,and the year before...Numbers have tanked,and are still consistently tanking here at ebay. Woke is broke,dinosaurs are out of touch, and scammy practices are being out more often and more swiftly today. Nobody is falling for the **bleep** anymore and people are smarter than these ceos think. Google lies about these things,news outlets regurgitate the same garbage, and ebay trolls will be here to tell you otherwise.  

Message 1 of 100
latest reply
99 REPLIES 99

And since when did I become an 'adventurer' ? LOLOL

Message 76 of 100
latest reply

And in spelling.  It's English.

Message 77 of 100
latest reply

I truly believe that it’s all about the new advertising they have. I have seen a dramatic difference ever since. They are not promoting your item unless you pay for it and then if someone clicks on an item up to 30 days later you’re charged. I thought it was just me but now I see it’s not. I literally have 0 views on almost every item. I guess when they loose enough customers they will care. I just canceled my store subscription. It’s not like they are not making enough money. It’s all about Corporate Greed. 

Message 78 of 100
latest reply

Mercari is the way to go  they no longer charge seller fees leaves more money  in the seller pocket and you don't have to waste your time and spend money on advertising  I get more hits and views  on Mercari  then I ever did on ebay. Ebay is a waste of time  ebay has forgotten  who made them it was the sellers ebay platform  is dead

Message 79 of 100
latest reply

There are some huge ongoing issues with eBay of late in terms of sales, and we are suffering quite heavily with a good 50% drop in promoted listing impressions and we are promoting very heavily for our category. This will give you an indication that something is off when we are a high value seller and the past week we have seen some really funky issues with impressions. I've reported it to CS, get the same old spiel, so I have resorted now to contact eBay for Business. Let's see if they do anything before I start knocking on upper management doors, because this is ridiculous.

Here is a thread that I had created:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Promoted-Listing-Impressions-45-50-Drop/td-p/34390891

Message 80 of 100
latest reply

Thank you so much. 

Message 81 of 100
latest reply

i thought ebay is a selling marketplace  not an english practice class 

Message 82 of 100
latest reply

Yes, I think eBay can not continue like this adding all these incredible fees.. Apparently sellers are finding other canals to sell (including me), as eBay is aiming to have all my selling profits ☹️.

Message 83 of 100
latest reply

Yup!! Switched to Facebook marketplace after being scammed $700 by someone who sent blurry pictures of a carpet to return our guitar.

eBay is disgusting in terms of seller protections

Message 84 of 100
latest reply

I get what the OP is saying and agree on many parts.   A company can still be making a profit but losing billions in potential sales. 

Yes I am still making a living and it's a serious roller coaster ride. 

You can't argue my pricing is excessive,  unless you consider it excessively cheap. 

Being my listings are visible no where but on ebay and google doesn't pick any of them up , which they used to in spades, has really been a serious problem I can't find a way around.  The only people that see my items have to come to ebay and look for them specifically.  I often wonder if they are still even visible  on the site as regular customers I think would bid on stuff I feel fits their interest don't, even though they already have a pile of items I'm holding for them to pay for once a month.

Yup my items are vintage,  check,  Fairly uncommon in many cases, check.  Cheapest price on ebay,  check. Some of this stuff I have been selling this type of stuff for more than ten years and have never had,  yet sell for the opening bid of 2.99 to one regular customer who put together one spectacular box of cheap stuff I would pay that much to buy back gladly.

I run all 7 day auctions with no reserve and stupid cheap opening bids to get interest and clear everything out.  Used to work like a charm.  Now it's like a blue light special at walmart. 

If anyone can suggest some sort of outside promotion that one can use for Auction items,  All ebay programs so far I am aware of are for buy it now only,  please let me know.

I was going to try to cross promote through facebook,  but since Facebook wants me to create a biometric account,  that's not going to happen.  Not worth selling my soul and identity for anyone to play with for a few possible clicks.

If Joe's auction service in the middle of a small town in Nebraska can sell the same stuff I do,  week after week for crazy prices in lots,  then why can't the number one auction site in the world manage to generate that type of interest?   Is it because there is no competition? If so please someone start an alternative to at least push ebay in the right direction if not give us another venue.  This isn't a game,  this is many seller's sole source of income .  We treat it like such and receive stellar feedback for it.  We expect the same type of dedication in return for the 1000's of dollars we pay a year for the service.   I think my contribution was $15,000 last year.

Any ideas to right this sinking ship?  I try to buy everything I can from vendors on here ,  tools, inventory, etc. to keep it afloat and support small vendors like myself. 

Message 85 of 100
latest reply

It is a good place to sell a car or a couch I guess.

Message 86 of 100
latest reply

Are they just for clothes?

Message 87 of 100
latest reply

Any credibility in your argument is completely lost because you can't write for crap. Please learn sentence and paragraph structure for ENGLISH. 

Message 88 of 100
latest reply

NO.  When I am at antique shows or antique malls, I hear the word eBay a lot.  Checking a price?  They check eBay?  Looking for a particular item?  They check eBay.

As for cheap Chinese knock-offs, they are available everywhere, so why single out eBay?  I didn't read your whole wall of words and not many will.  Paragraphs, grammar, full sentences, and proper spacing are still important.

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 89 of 100
latest reply

Yup, and people assume it is economy. People are still spending, people are still eating out, leasing out high end cars that they can't afford. 

Once eBay started to go full force on replacing already useless staff with even more useless AI without first testing it out. It has spiraled out of control. Sales don't suddenly plummet 79-90% within a couple of days. I noticed that exactly a year ago when listings were getting removed and items weren't being sold prior to that.

It's not the typical "Well just sell items people want." type naive talk that people regurgitate. It's the overall landscape that eBay is destroying on here. Same items I list here sell on Mercari much better and getting much more views.

eBay is already eating itself up like a snake, where this rollercoaster will go no one knows. All I know it is headed for a ditch.

Message 90 of 100
latest reply