cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Mercari and Others Eating Ebay’s Lunch?

How can Ebay continue to raise fees for sellers while traffic and sales decline and so much competition is out there?

Example For Sellers:

Mercari sellers pay 0% fees.  Cash out fees:  $2.00 per direct deposit or $3.00 per instant pay transfer.

Ebay sellers pay $0.35 after free insertion fees and in most categories minimum 13.25% - 15% FVF plus store fees, promotion ad fees, and other upgrade fees.

Example For Buyers:

Mercuri buyers pay 2.9% + 0.50 payment processing fee.

Ebay buyers pay 0% fees.

Message 1 of 115
latest reply
114 REPLIES 114

Re: Is Mercari and Others Eating Ebay’s Lunch?

But couldn't a lemonade stand on the corner show more growth than amazon in the manner you are speaking?

The way you are using financials appears to be disingenuous.

Message 31 of 115
latest reply

To each their own. I am tired of being robbed by ebay to be honest. ebay's incessant greed is unreal.

Mercari has not been a waste of time for me. I make 100% of the sale, get 5X the traffic, its easier to list items for sale, and buyers dont have 30 days to rent your stuff for free like they do on ebay.

I kept having to jack up my prices on ebay because of all the ridiculous fees. There's nothing left by the time ebay gets done feeing us to death.

Traffic and sales on ebay are down the tubes, this platform is failing and it shows.

Message 32 of 115
latest reply

@gamersbaystore wrote:

ebay can do whatever they want, but at the end of the day they are going to lose to Mercari!

Logic would say zero fees is a better bet for anyone in the e-commerce realm.

I'm sick and tired of giving ebay all my profits, they take 25% of the sale on average, leaving me with little to nothing once everything is said and done. The store subscription isnt worth it anymore either.

Mercari was smart enough to realize its the products being offered that translate to potential sales and growth.

Despite the ebay cheerleaders incessant lying, Mercari has plenty of traffic and I am getting plenty of sales there. In fact, my traffic on Mercari is easily 5X the traffic I get on ebay.

Half of my listings on ebay havent had a view in months, some no views at all, dont have this issue with Mercari.

all that isn't true for all sellers, but I'm not going to say right, wrong, or otherwise...really i don't care either way to be truthful. I use to complain like lots of others about ebay and fees and this and that, until came to realize that things aren't all ebays fault and instead of working myself up getting angry blah blah blah I seen advantages where others see faults and took those advantages, my sales have remained consistent here, and growth is finally coming back past several months, more buyers become repeat buyers etc... Mercari was OK for the time I spent there but nothing to brag about, pure pocket change amidst the paycheck here. Again - for myself, not every experience will be identical of course. 
You likely did well there because you sell gaming (or use to) and I've been through that market there and here, the grass is sometimes better there for that category, but you also need to consistently barter with buyers there also, here you don't. Glad to here someone has achived good results there, none the less.  

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 33 of 115
latest reply

Ebay shouldn't have  gotten into managed payments  .  they  just don't  have employee's needed   to deal  with dispute   case's   .

Message 34 of 115
latest reply

Mercuri buyers pay 2.9% + 0.50 payment processing fee.

I tried to buy something on Mercari, and I was charged a transaction fee in addition to the payment processing fee. The total fees amounted to 10.65% of the total payment. 

Is Mercari and Others Eating Ebay’s Lunch?

Mercari's GMV in 2023 was barely 10% of eBay's. 

Message 35 of 115
latest reply

@gamersbaystore 

Mercari made the change in the US only, and in the US, I believe they have been dealing with declining sales.

They remain strong in their home base of Japan, but their effort to really tap into the US market has not been all that successful. So, while I agree Mercari isn't desperate, I think they've been having a difficult time in this potentially very lucrative market , and so they've made this change hoping to buy market share, in much the same way ebay bought sneaker market share when they went to no seller fees for a while. 

Message 36 of 115
latest reply

@gamersbaystore wrote:

I kept having to jack up my prices on ebay because of all the ridiculous fees. There's nothing left by the time ebay gets done feeing us to death.

Your problem has nothing to do with eBay, it's that you're trying to sell items that sell for next to nothing to begin with. Physical media is a dying category UNLESS you're selling either 1) cult movies/TV shows that aren't available in streaming format, 2) boxed sets of full series, or 3) collector's editions of movies/TV shows that come with all sorts of special extras that are only available as part of the collector's/special editions.

Message 37 of 115
latest reply

Don't know where you're getting your information, but you're flat out wrong. Mercari has tens of millions of U.S. shoppers every month. The only platform that's in decline is ebay, there's a million media reports that easily prove that.

I spoke with Mercari's CEO very recently. Unlike ebay's executives, he actually has a heart and soul for humanity, he really cares about people.

I know where my loyalty stands, and its not with the greedy narcissists who run ebay.

Message 38 of 115
latest reply

funny thing is, since early 00's people have been saying and media have reported that ebay is in "decline" yet here they are, and obviously everyone here has been along for this so widely spread reported decline ride, still here, like waiting for something inevitable that never comes.  That maybe true for some people, sure it even is for a tiny percentage of all members that this declining platform has, but majority are here because they sell and they make those sales here. Despite issues and not so wanted fees and PL and whatever reasonable or non-reasonable complaint someone has the one and only constant that has remained, is those whom preach ebays decline and end, yet, are still here. This is also with Amazon, same story/different platform, and wow, look, just seen they are still there as well. 

Fact is, and I know this is really really hard for some to swallow, but ebay isn't going anywhere and they still on top in terms of revenue/traffic. 

Seems that whenever seller who has had not such great success on the platform or simply has lost sales and/or profits they once were making, they come to community and preach of the platforms decline and faults. As if absolutely nothing was any of their fault or doing. Couldn't possibly be the items they have or prices or that they are selling in a highly competitive category (take clothing or jewelry as example... there are endless amount of online sellers here, there,. everywhere. I've said this many times, and I'll say it again, you are in charge and responsible for your success not ebay (or Mercari, or Amazon, or any other "the grass is greener over here" platforms) and not any platform will ever change that. I have taken the ride on all the issues, changes, fees, introductions, headaches, tech issues, etc... and have still managed for my sales to stay consistent and see growth and make profit here. 

In the end I have had my share of grips and dislikes with this place, not in any way an ebay cheerleader, but, i am not one of those who agree that everything is ebays fault, because it isn't. That doesn't mean selling here now vs in past isn't harder, because it is harder, if you let every little tiny thing get under your skin you will be left behind. Internet selling is a fast moving and always changing market, either you find ways to compete and be profitable or not be at all, it's that simple. 

Message 39 of 115
latest reply

My source for US GMV decline is Mercari 's quarterly reports. You are saying their own financial reports are wrong?

Message 40 of 115
latest reply

And what do ebay's reports show? Years of decline. That is not what Mercari's show. ebay raised profits solely out of fees, while their sellers lost billions of dollars.

Message 41 of 115
latest reply

@gamersbaystore ,

Here is an excerpt from Mercari's latest earnings report for 4th quarter 2023.

Key Takeaways

• Mercari recorded its highest-ever consolidated revenue, with a 10% year-on-year increase in global GMV.
  • The U.S. market experienced a GMV decline of 12% but saw a rise in Monthly Active Users (MAU).
  • The Fintech segment's Mercard reached 2.5 million issued cards and a JPY 150 billion credit balance.
  • Plans to launch an on-demand labor business and focus on attracting Gen Z users were announced.
  • The company is improving credit services, increasing collection rates, and refining products to enhance user engagement.
  • Mercari aims to maintain strict cost control in the U.S. and anticipates a similar level of adjusted operating profit.
Message 42 of 115
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques ,

Yikes! GMV dropped 12% in the US in the 4th quarter of 2023. That's a pretty big drop in one quarter. 

Probably why they are trying something new in the US. Nothing to lose when your GMV dropped 12%.

Message 43 of 115
latest reply

Your insults and assumptions aside, I'm just giving my opinion, if you don't like it, thats just too bad.

Message 44 of 115
latest reply

@gamersbaystore wrote:

Your insults and assumptions aside, I'm just giving my opinion, if you don't like it, thats just too bad.

Uh-huh, sure. 

expected such a reply, these are always quite predictable.

Message 45 of 115
latest reply