cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If watchers were really buying....

If watchers were really buying I would have a great business. What ARE THEY Watching? they don't buy...

and

Does anyone know what the penalty is for Buyers who don't pay?  We used to be able to leave negative feedback as we should be entitled to do. But people just bid on things.  don't pay or ask to have it cancelled. are these the people who used to window shop when they shopped on the street. And now since they are still only looking they bid with no recourse? Does Ebay mark their feedback so other buyers can know this is a non payer?

It's frustrating I just had a buyer offer me $5 on a $12 listing $5 on a $10 listing and $3 on a $6 listing and then cancelled before she paid.  I told her she had to re bid or make a new offer on the one she wants. She then bid $2.75 on the $10 listing. I'm heading back to wholesale.

Message 1 of 47
latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

Re: If watchers were really buying....

Love watchers of my items that are $5 Cdn.  lol   Maybe they should go buy some scratch tickets & see if they win enough to buy it.  😛   

Message 16 of 47
latest reply

Double the price - that will teach them.   lol

Message 17 of 47
latest reply

I never watch things that I want to buy.  If I want to buy something... I buy it.  My watch list is exclusively for "maybe if I have some money to burn and nothing better to spend it on," things that I'm planning on selling myself, and things that are listed at such an absurd price that I want to see if anyone is dumb enough to actually buy them.

Message 18 of 47
latest reply

@gailslittlestuff wrote:

I'm heading back to wholesale.

Don't do that! I've purchased from you before, and you're one of my "saved sellers!"

P.S. Not always a good idea to post on the discussion boards with your selling i.d. Just a thought . . .

Message 19 of 47
latest reply

This is 100% assuming that non paying buyers actually get unpaid strikes. There is ABSOLUTELY no fair reason why sellers should not be able to privately see these, especially when using best offer, just like buyers get to view feedback before making decisions. I for one believe they do not exist. It would interfere with ebays revenue stream as any buyer wanting to buy an item, deadbeat buyer or not, at least presents an opportunity that a transaction will happen if they push buy it now.............with 2 strikes or 50.
Message 20 of 47
latest reply

@gailslittlestuff wrote:

What ARE THEY Watching? they don't buy...

They are bookmarking your item so they can find it again later. 

I am a collector, and I watch items for these reasons (among others): 

• I don't have the money right now
  • I like the item, but I am checking prices from other sellers on eBay
  • I like the item, but I am checking prices from other places online
  • I am not sure if I have one or not
  • I have asked a friend if he wants it, and he hasn't responded yet
  • I have to ask my wife if we can afford it
  • I want to see if anyone is crazy enough to pay your asking price
  • I have one, and want to see if yours sells quickly
  • I am checking with an expert to see it it is counterfeit

Message 21 of 47
latest reply

There is ABSOLUTELY no fair reason why sellers should not be able to privately see these, especially when using best offer, just like buyers get to view feedback before making decisions.

But it is unnecessary if you have a Block on bidders with two or more Strikes. You never see the bids since they are automatically refused.

One deadbeat Strike could be a learning experience or a newbie who doesn't really understand online shopping.

Two is a pattern of poor behaviour.

Why should I stress about this? In any case like most sellers, I rarely use auctions and being able to see Strikes wouldn't help since I don't know who bought until they buy.

Message 22 of 47
latest reply

I've been getting a crazy amount of private offers on items I have added to my watch list lately. Apparently a lot of sellers are either not making sales, or pricing high to begin with in order to afford to use this feature.

Message 23 of 47
latest reply

The Make Offer to Watchers is a fairly recent introduction and has been heavily promoted to sellers. You could make a note on the Watched items about the price when you add them and see if the sellers is increasing prices.
It is also possible to use the Watch List to compare similar items and price would be one comparison.

Another innovation is the Promoted Listing, which allows higher placement in Search for premium on the seller's selling fee. This one is very interesting because while eBay tells the seller that the going rate for this is 5-7%, the seller actually can choose any percentage she wants.

I chose one percent and didn't bother changing prices for that. The usual selling fee is 10% of the price but this varies from around three percent to about 14%.

But the Promoted Listings get three to five times more Views than non-Promoted.

Message 24 of 47
latest reply

@ersatz_sobriquet wrote:

I've been getting a crazy amount of private offers on items I have added to my watch list lately. Apparently a lot of sellers are either not making sales, or pricing high to begin with in order to afford to use this feature.

Yep, this  has been happening to me a lot lately. I have actually purchased a few of these items because I added them to my watch list when I was still considering them. Once I saw the offer go down I jumped on them. So I've been a success to those sellers who chose to make me, the buyer, an offer!

It can work sometimes....

Message 25 of 47
latest reply

Thanks I have put thru unpaid notices and got credit for them. Just didn't know if Ebay does anything to the buyer and Yes I block them after - I have even managed to leave feedback saying they haven't paid even though it is "positive" just before the unpaid notice goes thru thanks

Message 26 of 47
latest reply

I don't mind them offering me a price, I was used to wholesale prices and my prices have room to take an offer but some are taking advantage, I counter offered and she accepted now to see if she pays. Thanks

Message 27 of 47
latest reply

Thanks I really don't count on watchers it's just frustrating to see a 30 day listing get 230 lookers and 10 watchers and no buyers

Message 28 of 47
latest reply

Thank You I guess so just frustrating to the seller

Message 29 of 47
latest reply

Thanks I guess you are right too

Message 30 of 47
latest reply