cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If watchers were really buying....

If watchers were really buying I would have a great business. What ARE THEY Watching? they don't buy...

and

Does anyone know what the penalty is for Buyers who don't pay?  We used to be able to leave negative feedback as we should be entitled to do. But people just bid on things.  don't pay or ask to have it cancelled. are these the people who used to window shop when they shopped on the street. And now since they are still only looking they bid with no recourse? Does Ebay mark their feedback so other buyers can know this is a non payer?

It's frustrating I just had a buyer offer me $5 on a $12 listing $5 on a $10 listing and $3 on a $6 listing and then cancelled before she paid.  I told her she had to re bid or make a new offer on the one she wants. She then bid $2.75 on the $10 listing. I'm heading back to wholesale.

Message 1 of 47
latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

"Watching" is just like a bookmark. It's like a wish list. It doesn't mean they are watching to to buy, it means they are "saving it for later". At least that's how I use it. 

Message 2 of 47
latest reply

@gailslittlestuff wrote:

Does anyone know what the penalty is for Buyers who don't pay?  .

The penalty for non-payers is handled by the sellers. Sellers can block those buyers that have two unpaid item strikes against them in a year. Of course, this only works if sellers actually file and close unpaid item strikes, and many don't. They just come to the board and whine that they can't leave negs, which nobody can see anyway until after a particular buyer purchases.

Filing and closing unpaid item disputes, and blocking buyers with strikes is how non-payers are handled. If a buyer with two strikes tries to buy/bid from a seller with their blocks set, they will NOT be able to. Negative feedback never had that power, and most of the time it made the seller look more like a jerk than the buyer.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 3 of 47
latest reply

It's frustrating I just had a buyer offer me $5 on a $12 listing $5 on a $10 listing and $3 on a $6 listing and then cancelled before she paid.  I told her she had to re bid or make a new offer on the one she wants. She then bid $2.75 on the $10 listing. I'm heading back to wholesale.

Then don't use best offer. 

Message 4 of 47
latest reply

@gailslittlestuff wrote:

See, the thing is....you are under no obligation to accept any offers. Just hit the decline button and move along. 

The best thing for you to do is place an auto decline for a minimum amount. It would work like this- your $12 item you would place an auto decline for anything under $11.99. For your $10 item you would place an auto decline for $9.99, etc. This way you won't even get a message that anyone has made an offer and you won't be "bothered" by these pesky offers anymore. See how easy that is?....

Best of luck to you....

Message 5 of 47
latest reply

Exactly! I also am a watcher and will continue to be a watcher! I love window shopping, both in real life and on the internet. I use it as a wish list and as a reminder. Sometimes I see something that looks interesting but maybe I'm going to be leaving the house soon so I hit watch and leave. Later I get a reminder so I can then decide if I still am interested or not.

It serves many purposes and was never meant to be a guarantee for a sale....
Message 6 of 47
latest reply

I watch and then buy later at times. People watch auctions to see how they are going before they put in their bids. 

Message 7 of 47
latest reply

Never assume watchers will ever bid.

Some have the same item and wonder how much yours will sell  for to see if they should list theirs.

Some watch because they think your price or shipping is crazy expensive and want to know if anyone will bid

And some are playing, If I was a millionaire, I'd buy this and this and this.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 8 of 47
latest reply

@gailslittlestuff wrote:

If watchers were really buying I would have a great business. What ARE THEY Watching? they don't buy...

Some watchers are other sellers watching your item to see if it sells and at what price, so they can list theirs or adjust their prices if needed.

Have a safe Memorial Day weekend.
Message 9 of 47
latest reply

What's the most watchers you have for any 1 item?

For me it would be 46.

46 people watching. What are they waiting for?

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 10 of 47
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote

46 people watching. What are they waiting for?

They want it, but not bad enough. 

Message 11 of 47
latest reply

Items on my watch list: 

1) I need to buy one of those but still shopping around

2) Book marked packing material supplier, used before, may use again

3) I may actually bid on that. Somebody stole the one I had before. 

4) I have this item and may get around to listing mine someday. Will undercut this guy.

5) Vacuum bags

6) Crazy high price on something

7,8,9,10) I want this, I think? 

11) I have one of those to list

12) A kitchen decorating idea, might go this direction, might go another

13) I have this to list

14) Rather neat item. Going to look around at others to find out more

15) Packing supplier

16) Birthday idea for someone

17) Oops, that auction ended and I forgot to bid

You get the idea...

Message 12 of 47
latest reply

See now,.... if I had 46 watchers one just one of my items I would look at this positively. I would think it's obvious I have an interesting item listed that has attracted a large number of interested people.

If it was an auction I would gleefully watch to see if it gets into a bidding war- yay!
If it's a fixed listing I would decrease the amount slightly to see what happens and hopefully turn this into a sale- yay!

Positive thinking....
Message 13 of 47
latest reply

@gailslittlestuff wrote:

WHY are they watching? 

I took a look at your listings. A bunch of watchers I bet are thinking I could make that, bookmark the listing to remind myself, but they never get around to it. 

Message 14 of 47
latest reply

It’s nobody’s business why people watch. The watchlist worked much better before eBay started letting sellers see the watchcount. 

Message 15 of 47
latest reply