cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IRS - EBay - Sellers 1099.

Sellers should NOT receiving a 1099… for products sold to Buyers… through EBay. Surely we have some Tax Accounts out there knowledgeable in this area (?)… In this cases… eBay is a Third Party transaction payment processor. Sellers are paid by our Buyers “ through “ eBay. In the world outside eBay… When an Individual sells a product or service to a Buyer… The seller does not receive a 1099 from the buyer… unless the transaction exceeds $500.00.  We ebay sellers do not sell products to ebay … and ebay does not buy(pay us) for products.  IF this goes into effect… It will create a real headache for all of us.  I am relatively sure I am correct… but stand to be corrected… A 20 year eBayer.

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Re: IRS - EBay - Sellers 1099.

I've run out of words over this topic.....

Not Again.jpg

Message 16 of 31
latest reply

"20 year seller here..."

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 17 of 31
latest reply

"I realized that being told that they're looking at nothing more than a minor change  . . . .  is somehow beyond their ken."

True !!  

Message 18 of 31
latest reply

" A 20 year eBayer.:

A twenty three year Ebayer, who, when I was selling, always declared my Ebay sales.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 19 of 31
latest reply

@kensgiftshop wrote:

It's only going to be a headache for the ones that haven't been reporting their income.

Those of us that have been reporting our income like we are supposed to be doing, we'll be ok.

Amen and AMEN. 

Not sure what "headache" the OP is referring to??

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 20 of 31
latest reply

@kensgiftshop wrote:

It's only going to be a headache for the ones that haven't been reporting their income....

It's going to be a headache for the ones who haven't been reporting their income because they don't have any.  

A significant number of eBay sellers are small-scale "garage sale" type sellers who have a net loss at the end of the year due to selling personal possessions (clothing, household goods, collectibles) for less than they originally paid for them.  These sellers don't have a net profit, and therefore don't owe any income tax, never did, but now have to fill out paperwork because they grossed over $600 so eBay sent a 1099-K to the IRS.

This may actually be a good thing for anyone selling at a net loss. The loss can be used to offset other tax liabilities for a limited number of years or if you are a corporation forever. As always seek the advise of a professional tax preparer you may come out ahead. 

Message 21 of 31
latest reply

So do sellers have to maintain receipts for anything they have bought that they might sell on eBay in the future, or provide some sort for research on current value, as to provide a cost basis (like anything else..stocks etc.)?

Message 22 of 31
latest reply

@1steph_18 wrote:

Sellers should NOT receiving a 1099… for products sold to Buyers… through EBay. Surely we have some Tax Accounts out there knowledgeable in this area (?)… In this cases… eBay is a Third Party transaction payment processor. Sellers are paid by our Buyers “ through “ eBay. In the world outside eBay… When an Individual sells a product or service to a Buyer… The seller does not receive a 1099 from the buyer… unless the transaction exceeds $500.00.  We ebay sellers do not sell products to ebay … and ebay does not buy(pay us) for products.  IF this goes into effect… It will create a real headache for all of us.  I am relatively sure I am correct… but stand to be corrected… A 20 year eBayer.

Where have you been? Under a rock? The $600.00 threshold for 1099 was announced months ago. And it was passed by Congress. It is already in effect. So complain to your congressman. Not eBay, eBay is just following the law. 
Where  do you get the idea that 1099s come from buyers? No it comes from eBays accounting department. 
It only creates headaches for those who don’t file their taxes properly every year. Any moneys made from eBay sales are considered taxable income whether is is $1.00 or 20,000.00. 

Message 23 of 31
latest reply

In all actuality, Biden in March of this year included this as part of the stimulus package he distributed at that time.

Message 24 of 31
latest reply

@car_audio 

The only difference this year will be the form. 
How have you been doing it up to now? 

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 25 of 31
latest reply

Does anyone know if the 1099k issued from eBay will be TOTAL SALES or NET SALES (total Sales LESS eBay selling costs) ?

Message 26 of 31
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

@kensgiftshop wrote:

It's only going to be a headache for the ones that haven't been reporting their income....

It's going to be a headache for the ones who haven't been reporting their income because they don't have any.  

A significant number of eBay sellers are small-scale "garage sale" type sellers who have a net loss at the end of the year due to selling personal possessions (clothing, household goods, collectibles) for less than they originally paid for them.  These sellers don't have a net profit, and therefore don't owe any income tax, never did, but now have to fill out paperwork because they grossed over $600 so eBay sent a 1099-K to the IRS.

If they sell anything, it's income.

It's up to the seller to prove if they made a profit or not, which isn't that hard.

The items I sell, I've had them for years or they were given to me to sell.

I don't have any receipts and never have had any.

At the first of the month, log your total income from last month and any expenses.

Do it every month and you have everything you need to file your taxes.

Have a great day
Message 27 of 31
latest reply

@mikeag60 wrote:

Does anyone know if the 1099k issued from eBay will be TOTAL SALES or NET SALES (total Sales LESS eBay selling costs) ?

It's only the total income.

It's your job to deduct any expenses.

Have a great day
Message 28 of 31
latest reply

Yes you need to be corrected.   You will receive a 1099K for your 2022 sales some time in January 2023.  if your total revenue was 600 or more.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 29 of 31
latest reply

Yes-eBay is the "middleman" for processing the cash payments and the IRS requires the middleman to report those transactions if $600 and over. It's just like stock transactions. If I tell my stockbroker to sell 100 shares of Microsoft stock, the investment firm (being the middleman) handles the payments processing and is required to send me a 1099 even though I did not sell to the investment firm but rather to another person.

Message 30 of 31
latest reply