cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I think I figured something important out concerning Promoted Listings...

If I promote my listing, I do it because I really want it to be seen.....

I have fairly high price points so my commission to eBay will always be a higher price and with the promotion price listing, it will be a much much higher cost still.  

But I want my listing to stand out...  (following me so far?)

If I just add BOLD for $6.00 not the cost of $50., $100., $200.+ Of a promotion,  It will stand out and I save money 💵 💰 being seen using an old friend BOLD not used by me in way more than a decade.

Thats what I figured out!  Opinion?

Message 1 of 52
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

As I’m now currently eating a big humble pie 🥧 I declare everyone right & me wrong.

Bold at $6.00 a pop did nothing for the 3 listings I tried it on & never again.

Bye bye my $18.00.

I ended those listings and manually deleted, unchecked the Bold listing upgrade as I relisted them.

This time I promoted those 3 listings...

View Best Answer in original post

Message 51 of 52
latest reply
51 REPLIES 51

Difference is if you put bold in your listing title you have to pay that fee whether it sells or not.

Whereas promoted listings you only pay that percentage when it sells as promoted. In other words, if it takes me 8 years to sell something and it sells as promoted I only have to pay that promoted listings % when it sells.

I’m not paying for bold monthly x 8 years.

Message 2 of 52
latest reply

I like knowing with promoted listings that I only have to pay if it is SOLD through promoted listing. If you use bold lettering you will have to pay regardless I believe, but maybe I am wrong. I sell lower priced items though so it’s a whole different ballgame from the eBay world you are in. Honestly though, as a buyer I won’t look twice at something just because it has bold lettering, or any of the other frills they offer. I look at price and feedback, that’s it. If one item for $200 has all the bells and whistles as far as making the listing look good and another exact same item has basic everything but is even $199.99 I am going to gravitate towards the cheaper item. With my listings (comic books) this is what I do. I see how much they are selling for and undercut by a small amount (unless it’s a very desirable title) and that in itself makes my listing stand out. But I have to find other ways to stand out because some of my lots are only $5 lots so I can’t add all of the bells and whistles and make money. Ultimately do what seems to be working for you and what gets you sales, that’s all that matters on eBay right!

Message 3 of 52
latest reply

Buyers have to find item before your "Bold" listing will stand out. With "Promoted" listings they are placed in front of the buyer. Seeing a "Bolded" listings means nothing to me,  it's placement in my search does.

"Those who enter the arena unarmed or unprepared are quickly dispatched."
Message 4 of 52
latest reply

@jewelbiz wrote:

If I promote my listing, I do it because I really want it to be seen.....

I have fairly high price points so my commission to eBay will always be a higher price and with the promotion price listing, it will be a much much higher cost still.  

But I want my listing to stand out...  (following me so far?)

If I just add BOLD for $6.00 not the cost of $50., $100., $200.+ Of a promotion,  It will stand out and I save money 💵 💰 being seen using an old friend BOLD not used by me in way more than a decade.

Thats what I figured out!  Opinion?

That wouldn't trick me as a buyer, bold on bold, not buying it unless it's the lowest price (with some other considerations) for the same thing I am looking for. Bold is not one of them.

Message 5 of 52
latest reply

Try promoting at 1% that seems to be working for me and some others that have been posting on this board. So if you sell something it would only cost you a few dollars. 

Message 6 of 52
latest reply

I agree with the previous poster. I have tried promotions as high as 13.6% and as low as 3% and can see very little difference in actual sales. I get maybe 25% more views with the higher percentage, but little or no more sales. Probably a situation of lots of lookers but only so many actual buyers.

Message 7 of 52
latest reply

Agree with others.....not paying for bold.  Try using CAPS on specific words to draw attention......

3 Antique Jewelry Victorian Rare Lapel Pins Egyptian, Bar & Stick Pin Pins

3 Antique Jewelry Victorian Rare Lapel Pins EGYPTIAN, Bar & Stick Pin Pins

Message 8 of 52
latest reply

Forgot to say just paying the $6.00 for BOLD one time only...not forever.

Let’s see what happens.

Out of my current 86 listings, I’m only trying this BOLD $12.00 total investment on 2 items.

Message 9 of 52
latest reply

Be careful when they roll if they are GTC, I believe you would be charged every time unless I don't understand how that works. 

Message 10 of 52
latest reply

@jewelbiz wrote:

Forgot to say just paying the $6.00 for BOLD one time only...not forever.

Let’s see what happens.

Out of my current 86 listings, I’m only trying this BOLD $12.00 total investment on 2 items.

To test something like this, and draw a definitive conclusion would require thousands, or even millions of listings.  2 of 86 will prove nothing either way, but it's your $6 so the choice is yours to make:)  They could by chance, both sell in minutes, or never sell.

Message 11 of 52
latest reply

@darkeyedman wrote:

I agree with the previous poster. I have tried promotions as high as 13.6% and as low as 3% and can see very little difference in actual sales. I get maybe 25% more views with the higher percentage, but little or no more sales. Probably a situation of lots of lookers but only so many actual buyers.

It's been working for me so far this month it has brought me an addition 29 sales. Plus who know if they saw the promoted listing and decided to look at my other items. But I guess it could only go so far if it's bringing in more views but no one is buying I would look into other issues.

Message 12 of 52
latest reply

For $6 they need to be giving me a marquee and flashing lights, not just bold. Smiley Surprised

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 13 of 52
latest reply

A bold title is a Cash Cow for eBay and there is no incentive on ebays part to sell it as every month they get there fee on it.......

Message 14 of 52
latest reply

If you feel that you have found a great resolve, then good for you. Not only did that plan not work for me as a seller, but I find myself [subconsciously] filtering those types of listings out, as that is a ploy a lot of the big box stores use, and that is usually not what I am searching for. Therefore I see that darker print and I just have a tendency to gloss over it. It is just a little too circus Barker for my taste. But hey, that's just me.

Message 15 of 52
latest reply