cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I had a large $ purchase returned. Even after refunding the buyer, eBay is still holding my funds.

I had a large $ purchase returned. I refunded the buyer as the item was returned and inspected.

The item shipped FedEx 2-Day and was return Priority Mail, so the refund happened in under a week of the original purchase.

Now, 6 days after I refunded the buyer, eBay is still holding my funds.

I'm being told that even though the buyer has been refunded, the 30 day hold on the original payment can't be removed, because it is still considered a high risk payment.

How could it still be High Risk, the buyer got their money back?  Come on eBay, pull your head out!

I have spent at least 4 hours on the phone with eBay Non-Customer Support, try to get the hold turned off, so I can pay my bills.

How is that all eBay glitches seem to be in eBay's favor.

Message 1 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Re: I had a large $ purchase returned. Even after refunding the buyer, eBay is still holding my fund

Mam, 

The funds that are being withheld are not the funds that were refunded to the buyer of the returned item.  The OP refuses to accept he has other issues and eBay put a hold on $10,000.00 worth of payouts. He should have received an email explaining the hold but as of, yet he has not said why the money was put on hold. I believe the hold was put on by the same group that issues the MCO11 suspensions and that is why he can't get anywhere with CS. They don't have the authority to remove the hold due to security issues. Either the hold will time out or he will get the dreaded MCO11 email asking for Receipts, ID, ect.. eBay has been cracking down on certain types of sales as of late and putting a lot of holds and suspensions on sellers that sell certain items. The OP sells some of those items and maybe red flags went up? But the OP knows everything that is why he's ranting about what he has no control over.

Message 16 of 37
latest reply

Re: I had a large $ purchase returned. Even after refunding the buyer, eBay is still holding my fund

@huntfishdie45 wrote:

Mam, 

The funds that are being withheld are not the funds that were refunded to the buyer of the returned item.  The OP refuses to accept he has other issues and eBay put a hold on $10,000.00 worth of payouts. He should have received an email explaining the hold but as of, yet he has not said why the money was put on hold. I believe the hold was put on by the same group that issues the MCO11 suspensions and that is why he can't get anywhere with CS. They don't have the authority to remove the hold due to security issues. Either the hold will time out or he will get the dreaded MCO11 email asking for Receipts, ID, ect.. eBay has been cracking down on certain types of sales as of late and putting a lot of holds and suspensions on sellers that sell certain items. The OP sells some of those items and maybe red flags went up? But the OP knows everything that is why he's ranting about what he has no control over.

I'm aware, thank you.  When a seller refunds a buyer and the funds from the transaction are on hold for whatever reason, the money to refund the buyer comes out of other money that the seller would have as they can't access the money on hold.  Which is the point of the thread.

I think that is a bit of an assumption that the seller has other problems with Ebay.  It is a normal thing for Ebay to do [hold funds] when the $$ amount of a transaction is much higher than the seller normally has.  That does NOT mean the seller has done anything wrong.  It is a security issue.

You assume too much.  There are many sellers that find themselves in the position as I described .  Perfectly good sellers.  You are ASSUMING the OP has received a "suspension" and the OP has said nothing of the kind.  Most sellers in this position don't have "suspensions" either.

I prefer not to make these negative assumptions about the OP.  What they did describe is something that happens on Ebay all the time and to sellers in good standing.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 17 of 37
latest reply

I'm curious if this is linked to

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Once-again-eBay-puts-a-large-payment-on-hold-for-no-valid-reas...

What did eBay already know was going to happen. 😀

Message 18 of 37
latest reply

Thank You BINGO! You see Capt. Obvious has a good memory MAM.

Message 19 of 37
latest reply

Read my post again, I did not say the OP was under suspension and I don't assume anything without doing my own research first. Re-read my post with the context that Robbie has provided in the link before you chase the OP down the rabbit hole.

Message 20 of 37
latest reply

You said  "The OP refuses to accept he has other issues and eBay put a hold on $10,000.00 worth of payouts."

There is nothing in that other thread to support that statement. You're making an assumption.   It's common for eBay put the amount for a large sale on hold.  The fact that they are still holding it is not 'proof' that there is a problem. It could simply be that on ebay the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.

Message 21 of 37
latest reply

He already knew the answer to his question before he posted the new rant. He was already told the money was on hold until 7/23. I guess that would be an issue no? 

Message 22 of 37
latest reply

He said he needed that money for bills. Thank goodness eBay didn't let him spend the money since it was coming back in under a week. 🙃

Message 23 of 37
latest reply

@dqdistribution wrote:

He said he needed that money for bills. Thank goodness eBay didn't let him spend the money since it was coming back in under a week. 🙃

And that was given as a reason why the hold was a good idea.  No way eBay wants a seller to spend the $10k in proceeds on bills, then the buyer requests a return, then have to pony up for a huge refund.  

Message 24 of 37
latest reply

@dqdistribution wrote:

I'm curious if this is linked to

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Once-again-eBay-puts-a-large-payment-on-hold-for-no-valid-reas...

What did eBay already know was going to happen. 😀

I'm not sure why sellers keep saying these large payments are put on hold for "no valid reason".  That isn't true it is just that the seller doesn't agree, which of course is fine.  I'd probably feel that way too.  But Ebay does have a reason and it has been in the policies for awhile now.

https://export.ebay.com/en/fees-and-payments/payments/payment-holds/

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/getting-paid-items-youve-sold/payments-hold?id=4816&&...

Message 25 of 37
latest reply

@huntfishdie45 wrote:

Thank You BINGO! You see Capt. Obvious has a good memory MAM.

What are you talking about????

Message 26 of 37
latest reply

@huntfishdie45 wrote:

Read my post again, I did not say the OP was under suspension and I don't assume anything without doing my own research first. Re-read my post with the context that Robbie has provided in the link before you chase the OP down the rabbit hole.

What the heck does that mean?  I've been trying to help the OP.  Maybe it doesn't meet with your approval but then I don't post for those reasons.

Message 27 of 37
latest reply

@huntfishdie45 wrote:

He already knew the answer to his question before he posted the new rant. He was already told the money was on hold until 7/23. I guess that would be an issue no? 

Yes, you are correct.  And the Ebay Community member suggested they contact the MP team again in an effort to get the money released.  Should the OP ignore that advice?  Are you of the opinion that the OP can do nothing but wait?  I don't agree with that.  I think they just haven't gotten to a CSR willing to go the extra mile to help them.  Sadly it happens all too often.

If it were me and I had that kind of money holding, I would be on the phone daily until the matter gets resolved.

Message 28 of 37
latest reply

The OP already contacted MP and was told the hold will be in place until 7/23 and there was nothing, they could do about it, they cited the policy, and the OP will not accept their decision. I think he exhausted his possibility to get this hold lifted and should wait until the hold times out on 7/23. If it were me, I would stop rocking the boat, accept that eBay has the right to enforce their policies and protect my seller account.

Message 29 of 37
latest reply

@huntfishdie45 wrote:

The OP already contacted MP and was told the hold will be in place until 7/23 and there was nothing, they could do about it, they cited the policy, and the OP will not accept their decision. I think he exhausted his possibility to get this hold lifted and should wait until the hold times out on 7/23. If it were me, I would stop rocking the boat, accept that eBay has the right to enforce their policies and protect my seller account.

Unfortunately it often takes several attempts to get to someone willing to go the extra mile to help whomever is calling.  It has been that way for years.  

I mean it is completely up to the OP or you if you ever have an issue.  If you feel one call is enough, even if your problem isn't resolved, then you have every right to just sit back, wait and hope it all works out soon.

For me, I'm not built that way.  That would drive me nuts.  If I had this much money on hold and I had already refunded my buyer, I can guarantee you I'd be on the phone daily until the matter got resolved.  I with the OP on this one.  I wouldn't sit back and take that quietly.  

It if fine if you feel a single phone call is enough.  Others would not feel that way.  We each have to do what is best for us in any given situation.

I'm not sure what you mean about protecting your seller account.  If you are concerned that a CSR has the power to damage your account in some way, they don't.  If a CSR is of the opinion that some sanction is in order because you called to ask about YOUR money, the approval for that has to come from a higher up.  But I don't know what kind of sanction you would be concerned about.

Message 30 of 37
latest reply