cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Once again, eBay puts a large payment on hold for no valid reason, only that they can.

Once again, eBay puts a large payment on hold for no valid reason, only that they can.

I've been selling on eBay for over 24 years and have a spotless record as a seller. This the 3rd time eBay has put my funds on hold after I have made a big sell.

In the past few years, 3 big sells and 3 cash grabs by eBay. I could have paid down my credit card, instead eBay gets to keep my money and I'm out $200 interest.

eBay Customer Support, is always telling me "We appreciate your loyalty to eBay for 24 years." Then show me some appreciated and quite treating me like cr@p! $10,000 means a lot more to me that it does to eBay.

Customer Support says something like, "If you read the agreement . . . yada yada yada . . . paraphrased {it says eBay can screw you over whenever we want.}"

eBay, "We Don't Care! We Don't Have To!"

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

This is a hold until the item arrives or is ebay requesting a receipt.   Anyway, give them whatever they want so that they can release your money.   Ebay has to do holds inorder to keep buyers safe.  Even a seller with many years of experience and fantastic feedbacks still  get their money held just incase things go bad.  There have been cases where an experienced seller has died or became ill and someone in the family took over the account and committed fraud.    Hang in there.  Continue providing great work.  P.S. I love your Ebay name. 

Message 2 of 31
latest reply

This hold has nothing to do with the item being shipped / received.

I asked eBay Customer Non-Support what would happen if the buyer gave positive feedback right away.  I shipped the item 2-Day FedEx an hour after payment.  The answer, it won't matter.  The funds are on hold for 30 days.

My frustration is that eBay is just doing it so they can hold the funds for 30 days.  No valid reason, just because they can.  "If you read your eBay Agreement, it says we can."

If they do this to 1,000s of purchases, then they are holding millions of dollars, just because they can.

Message 3 of 31
latest reply

Could the hold be because of risk factors associated with the buyer? Large payment, lack of history, or other factors?

I mean it doesn't appear that it might be because of you, but there may be some legitimate reason that the system is thinking they might want to hold onto it.

Message 4 of 31
latest reply

Are these the $25,000 shoes? That in itself is probably the reason…

Message 5 of 31
latest reply

I sold them at a steep discount because I need the money to pay bills.  Instead eBay gets to hold on to the money and I get to be late paying my bills.

24 years selling.  1,000s of items sold.  The buyer has a strong history as well.  eBay is just doing a money grab because they can.

Message 6 of 31
latest reply

You title is incorrect.

There IS a valid reason, you just don't agree with it.

Smoke From A Distant Fire - Sanford Townsend Band
Message 7 of 31
latest reply

They buyer has a very strong history as well.  They've been with eBay for almost 10 years.  Nothing weird with their feedback.

Once again, eBay is just holding onto my money because they can.  No valid reason, just that they can.

Message 8 of 31
latest reply

"Because they can"

Do you really thing that is a VALID reason?  It is an explanation, but not a valid reason.

I stand by my title.

Message 9 of 31
latest reply

Let's pretend that the buyer decides to open a case and claim that you sent them a box of rocks instead of that pricey item. They want their money back.  Ebay has YOUR money and will gladly return it to the buyer if they open a return.  If they give you the money rightaway and you pay your bills and then the buyer opens a claim, then ebay has to refund them out of their pocket and then they have to go after you because you spent the money..   Maybe you have run of to Tahiti with a friend. It will cost ebay money to track you down.   By keeping the money for 30 days,  ebay wants to make sure that the buyer is happy.    Ebay does not care that you have bills to pay or need the money for something.   Unfortunately, there was so much fraud here, that ebay is trying to make it a better place and holding the funds for 30 days is one way.  I say that they should give the sellers some interest on that held money.

Goodluck.

Message 10 of 31
latest reply

There is a reason see Payout Holds  for more info. 

• High priced items or unusual selling patterns may lead to transaction holds for up to 30 days to help us ensure that buyers don't have any issues with the order
  • The authentication process may lead to transaction holds for up to 30 days until the authenticity of items sold with eBay’s Authenticity Guarantee can be confirmed.

Since you sold an item for $25,000 that is the reason your payout is on hold. 
If was also sold with EAG that is another reason.  
There’s always a reason.

Message 11 of 31
latest reply

That's big bucks so eBay is NOT going to 'eat it' if you decide to simply take the money and run. 

Many MANY 'good' people turn bad. 

EBay has a 30 Day MBG, after delivery so they want to make sure buyer doesn't open a return for refund and they are on the hook.

Although you don't agree with it; that's the way it is on big $ items. 

Message 12 of 31
latest reply

A 30 day hold seems normal for a big sale. Wish I could do a big sale as such. Would I depend on funds here to live off on? Probably not. This is more to supplement an income or just to have fun.

A history on eBay is only a history....a paper trail.

The scary thing here is what if the buyer wants to return it. It's like I would be afraid to spend the money I got and probably wouldn't use it for maybe 3 months. I guess that's why eBay does at least a 30 day hold...in case buyer wants to return it.

Message 13 of 31
latest reply

If you TRULY think they are doing it "just because they can", then why don't they hold everybody's funds all the time?

Smoke From A Distant Fire - Sanford Townsend Band
Message 14 of 31
latest reply

When the buyer leaves positive feedback, doesn't that tell eBay they are happy.

Once the buyer leaves feedback, there is no longer a reason for eBay to hold MY MONEY.  But they can because they can.

Message 15 of 31
latest reply