cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I had a large $ purchase returned. Even after refunding the buyer, eBay is still holding my funds.

I had a large $ purchase returned. I refunded the buyer as the item was returned and inspected.

The item shipped FedEx 2-Day and was return Priority Mail, so the refund happened in under a week of the original purchase.

Now, 6 days after I refunded the buyer, eBay is still holding my funds.

I'm being told that even though the buyer has been refunded, the 30 day hold on the original payment can't be removed, because it is still considered a high risk payment.

How could it still be High Risk, the buyer got their money back?  Come on eBay, pull your head out!

I have spent at least 4 hours on the phone with eBay Non-Customer Support, try to get the hold turned off, so I can pay my bills.

How is that all eBay glitches seem to be in eBay's favor.

Message 1 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

I had a large $ purchase returned. Even after refunding the buyer, eBay is still holding my funds.

If this was the only post I'd be in complete agreement with you for fighting for your hold release.

What makes this entire thing suspect is the original thread about a hold for 'no reason' and wanting the funds immediately for such a large payment.

Wanting to rush funds for something that was literally returned within 1 week involving such expensive shoes.

My spidey sense is telling me something is not quite right. 🤔

Message 31 of 37
latest reply

The buyer was involve in a car accident the day after they paid for the shoes.  They explained their situation and that their finances changed drastically.

Would I have liked them to keep the shoes so I could keep the money?  Sure, but I also understand the Stuff happens.

Meanwhile, I have refunded their entire purchase.  Before I did the refund I talked with CS and they assured me that once the funds were refunded an the return completed, that hold would go away.  I even had them send me an eBay message documenting our discussion.  Is it the CSR fault that they expected eBay to act in a reasonable manner, no; but it is their fault that they make statement about things they don't actually know about.

My last call, I talked with the High Value team and they could not explain why the hold hadn't gone away, which they say it should have done. 

Nobody at eBay that I've talked to can explain or understand why my account still has a $9K hold on it.

If the eBay employee in charge of High Value purchase holds don't know why the hold is still there, I really doubt the random eBay community members have anything other than their opinion, which means nothing to me.

In the last week, I've sold almost $1,500 in completely unrelated purchases, whose funds I can't access because of the eBay bug.

I am still amazed the the eBay employee wants me to believe that nobody at eBay has the ability to manually remove the hold.  Evidentially, the computers are in charge.

Message 32 of 37
latest reply

@dqdistribution wrote:

If this was the only post I'd be in complete agreement with you for fighting for your hold release.

What makes this entire thing suspect is the original thread about a hold for 'no reason' and wanting the funds immediately for such a large payment.

Wanting to rush funds for something that was literally returned within 1 week involving such expensive shoes.

My spidey sense is telling me something is not quite right. 🤔

Sellers often say a hold is for  "no Reason", but that is not true.  Ebay always has a reason.  The seller may not agree with it, but there is always a reason.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 33 of 37
latest reply

Did you contact the MP team as Elizabeth suggested?

For the Payment Team
https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/getting-paid-items-youve-sold/payments-hold?id=4816&&...

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 34 of 37
latest reply

I don't know you, so I'm not going to say you did something wrong, or right.

I just feel this whole situation is really suspect.

Starting with 25,000 dollar shoe purchase.

The rush to try and get eBay to make the funds avaliable.

The return due to a sudden accident within 1 week.

Not trying to bash you, I just feel something is going on here more than a simple sale and return.

Message 35 of 37
latest reply

And that was given as a reason why the hold was a good idea.

@powell-memorabilia 

If held funds are such a good idea, why is one not allowed to use those HELD funds from the same transaction to refund? 

As far as I know, funds on hold for transaction #xxxxxxxxxxx will not be used for a refund for the same transaction with the same number.  When eBay gets their 'nightie in a knot' with a seller in general, they hold ALL incoming funds.  A seller cannot use those held funds for refunds. 

Message 36 of 37
latest reply

You are absolutely wrong about your feelings.  What I typed happened is exactly what happened. 

Message 37 of 37
latest reply