cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I had a large $ purchase returned. Even after refunding the buyer, eBay is still holding my funds.

I had a large $ purchase returned. I refunded the buyer as the item was returned and inspected.

The item shipped FedEx 2-Day and was return Priority Mail, so the refund happened in under a week of the original purchase.

Now, 6 days after I refunded the buyer, eBay is still holding my funds.

I'm being told that even though the buyer has been refunded, the 30 day hold on the original payment can't be removed, because it is still considered a high risk payment.

How could it still be High Risk, the buyer got their money back?  Come on eBay, pull your head out!

I have spent at least 4 hours on the phone with eBay Non-Customer Support, try to get the hold turned off, so I can pay my bills.

How is that all eBay glitches seem to be in eBay's favor.

Message 1 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Re: I had a large $ purchase returned. Even after refunding the buyer, eBay is still holding my fund

In the case of "High-Priced Items" or "Unusual Selling Patterns" eBay may impose a transaction hold of your payment for 30 days. In some cases, the hold is lifted after 2 days from when the case is closed. In your case they invoked the "High Priced Item" hold and that is for 30 days. Looks like you'll have to wait it out. Good Luck

Message 2 of 37
latest reply

Re: I had a large $ purchase returned. Even after refunding the buyer, eBay is still holding my fund

Yes, I understand why the "High Price Item" 30-day hold was invoked.

What I don't understand is now that the buyer has gotten a full refund, why can't eBay remove the hold on the original transaction.  Seems like a very simple concept.

Message 3 of 37
latest reply

eBay's policy is a 30 day hold in your case, and they are sticking to it. Why? because they make the policy and enforce it. We either agree and continue to sell here or we take our business elsewhere. The choice is ours. In the meantime, you will have to wait out the hold. Good Luck

Message 4 of 37
latest reply

I would try the ebay Facebook Team....

Yes, I realize it is two distinct and separate events (hold & refund) but.....

Your selling history looks pretty solid....there appears to be no pattern of deception on your side, but there must be a logical reason on the funding side to continue a "hold" after a full refund

(seems everyone is made whole here after the smoke clears)

there may also be a delay in the 'posting' and 'clearing' process...

that's a pretty good chunk to front for 30 days......

Message 5 of 37
latest reply

I would contact customer support through ebay for business on facebook. You are much more likely to get help.  That said, they may be afraid the buyer will also file a chargeback or something. Perhaps you are about to be doubly done for. Of course they won't protect you, they are out to protect themselves!

Message 6 of 37
latest reply

@fredoniacoinandtreasure wrote:

I would contact customer support through ebay for business on facebook. You are much more likely to get help.  That said, they may be afraid the buyer will also file a chargeback or something. Perhaps you are about to be doubly done for. Of course they won't protect you, they are out to protect themselves!

That was part of my train of thought with the "posting" aspect....these refunds etc....sometimes take time to post....once a refund is posted, a chargeback is off the table...that may be what they are waiting for.....

if this chain of events started last Thursday or Friday, the holidays complicated things even more timewise....

plus, if this is the transaction I think it is...it is not petty larceny if there is something nefarious occuring...

Message 7 of 37
latest reply

If the customer were refunded, what funds would of yours would eBay still be holding? Wasn't all the $$ from the transaction refunded to the customer? Or did you do a partial refund?

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.
Message 8 of 37
latest reply

It will take up to 30 days due to it being a high priced item. It's not the most convenient, but it is for security reasons.

Message 9 of 37
latest reply

But what further "security" do they actually need when the buyer has been refunded?

The OP presumably had to use funds external to ebay to refund the buyer as ebay won't refund from "held' funds (even though they're holding those funds in CASE of a refund).

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 10 of 37
latest reply

We all read posts different. 

Almost seems like maybe eBay thinks this transaction could be possibly a scam, stolen C.C., money laundering, or scam?

I don't have the correct answer, but I will add that when it was just eBay and PayPal, we did not have all these constant posts / issues similar to this. 

I hope you get a solid answer and understanding of your issue. 

Message 11 of 37
latest reply

The buyer was fully refunded, but eBay is still hold the original payment amount.

I'm not expecting $10K to go to my bank, but I've sold an additional $1,000 in the last week, and I can't get those funds, because eBay still has an amount of $10K on hold. [Well $9K, since the $1K I sold is being deducted from the hold.]

Also, I made another call to the eBay CS and talked with the High Value Team, they too are puzzled as to why my account still has the $10K HOLD on it. According to them, once the refund cleared, which it did 6/30, that hold should have gone away.

Back to "eBay has a bug and the bug benefits them."

Message 12 of 37
latest reply

Because of the recent holidays, and time to process the funds. 

To absolutely ensure the funds are completely clear from returns, refunds, chargebacks, or fraud.  

KrazzyKats
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 13 of 37
latest reply

@imapaqrat wrote:

The buyer was fully refunded, but eBay is still hold the original payment amount.

I'm not expecting $10K to go to my bank, but I've sold an additional $1,000 in the last week, and I can't get those funds, because eBay still has an amount of $10K on hold. [Well $9K, since the $1K I sold is being deducted from the hold.]

Also, I made another call to the eBay CS and talked with the High Value Team, they too are puzzled as to why my account still has the $10K HOLD on it. According to them, once the refund cleared, which it did 6/30, that hold should have gone away.

kyle@ebay 

elizabeth@ebay 

devon@ebay 

This is a good question and it comes up from time to time.  I'm not sure how to explain this properly.  I understand when Ebay puts a hold on a seller's funds when they sell something that has a higher $$ value than what they normally sell. 

But when the seller fully refunds the buyer, why does the funds continue to be held?  And for how long?

What if the seller needs to refund a buyer of a high ticket item like this and the seller doesn't have the funds to refund the buyer because Ebay is holding the funds?  What does a seller do then?  How do they offer their buyer a prompt refund when Ebay won't turn loose of the money?

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 14 of 37
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@imapaqrat wrote:

kyle@ebay 

elizabeth@ebay 

devon@ebay 

This is a good question and it comes up from time to time.  I'm not sure how to explain this properly.  I understand when Ebay puts a hold on a seller's funds when they sell something that has a higher $$ value than what they normally sell. 

But when the seller fully refunds the buyer, why does the funds continue to be held?  And for how long?

What if the seller needs to refund a buyer of a high ticket item like this and the seller doesn't have the funds to refund the buyer because Ebay is holding the funds?  What does a seller do then?  How do they offer their buyer a prompt refund when Ebay won't turn loose of the money?

Hey @mam98031! I would recommend for OP to reach out to our Managed Payments team on this. They will be able to look into the details of the hold and possibly be able to release the funds.  

Devon,
eBay
Message 15 of 37
latest reply