cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I had $2,200.00 in eBay gift cards stolen from me

67 REPLIES 67

Re: I had $2,200.00 in eBay gift cards stolen from me

Not stolen as you freely gave your money to this scammer.

Maybe ask here before you send money to a stranger

Message 16 of 68
latest reply

As bad as I feel for the OP, and I do, I can't wrap my head around why a person believes paying for a vehicle with gift cards is above board. 

Message 17 of 68
latest reply

EBay had nothing to do with it.

The scammer pulled him off eBay and persuaded him to send gift cards.

The only difference is that the original listing was on eBay and not on AutoTrader or Craigslist.

Message 18 of 68
latest reply

Too bad, so sad, you fell for an old scam. Shame you let common sense fly out the door when you thought you were getting a good deal.

Message 19 of 68
latest reply

@doc-holmes wrote:

As bad as I feel for the OP, and I do, I can't wrap my head around why a person believes paying for a vehicle with gift cards is above board. 

Greed. The car is priced at a too good to be true price and the buyer is blinded by their desire to snag it before it's gone

Message 20 of 68
latest reply

Please refrain from bringing politics into these boards.  Thank-you.

Message 21 of 68
latest reply

"Gift cards should be tracked to the buyer but eBay make too much money."

Like it says on the back of the cards, they are untraceable and non refundable, thats why scammers love them. And they are used instantly, with over a million sales a day, how could Ebay possibly track a gift card sale? Impossible.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 22 of 68
latest reply

And just wait until the next stimulus checks come out..you will see an uptick in these scams.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 23 of 68
latest reply

"Please refrain from bringing politics into these boards.  Thank-you."

She made a joke..this is an open board, and as long as the board criteria is followed, its allowed..lighten up.

Message 24 of 68
latest reply

@bonjourami wrote:

"Gift cards should be tracked to the buyer but eBay make too much money."

Like it says on the back of the cards, they are untraceable and non refundable, thats why scammers love them. And they are used instantly, with over a million sales a day, how could Ebay possibly track a gift card sale? Impossible.

Easy. They know the card number, and they know who used it. Ebay could go after who used it to get more info or shut them down.

Message 25 of 68
latest reply

It was just a request.

Jokes about the other side - whichever side that is - aren’t something that are in short supply.  At some point, I’d think that people will tire of the mean spiritedness of armchair political pundits.

Message 26 of 68
latest reply

I dont see anything 'mean spirited' about the comment. Obviously...you do.

Message 27 of 68
latest reply

"Easy. They know the card number, and they know who used it. Ebay could go after who used it to get more info or shut them down."

And you know this...how? As it says on the back of every card, this card is non refundable. The ops cards were not stolen, he voluntarily handed the numbers over to the scammer.

https://pages.ebay.com/giftcardscams/

Message 28 of 68
latest reply

Why do you think the original listing was on eBay? Did the OP message you with that information? They didn't say where they found the car is why I ask.

There's no "Mint Condition" 06 Rav4 that was recently listed and sold or went unsold on eBay Motors. However, there are three 06 RAV4's, 2 red and 1 dark blue but NONE that matches the OP's description and the color of the car in that fake invoice.  I'm pretty sure they found that car on a non-eBay site.

Message 29 of 68
latest reply

No Ebay car seller would ask for payment in gift cards, only scammers do that on other sites. Because the cards are non refundable, and untraceable ,and spent quickly.

Message 30 of 68
latest reply