cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am getting blatantly scammed on eBay. This platform is no longer viable for small sellers?

Hello everyone, so on December 15th I sold a new gaming computer to a buyer right before Christmas. I quickly shipped out the brand new computer so he can have it before Christmas for his son. On Christmas morning he messages me telling me the computer won’t power on(keep in mind this system was built, tested and packaged by me with over a decade of experience in the field) so without hesitation I quickly walk him through the troubleshooting process and try everything to accommodate his needs. After a while he sends me pictures of the computer on saying “we have a lift off”. The computer was fully intact without any damage and was powered on. Later that night he messaged me again claiming the computer won’t turn on again.(First red flag) I asked him for photos/video proof of the computer not turning on which he didn’t do or provide. He requested a return and without hesitation I accepted it. After 3 days he randomly send me a picture of a usps recite claiming he’s shipping back the return.(Second Red Flag) After two days he messages me asking if I have received the computer yet, but I didn’t get any notifications from eBay.(Third Red Flag) I looked up the tracking number and confirmed with his local USPS that he sent me a fraudulent tracking number. He sent himself a package to his P.O. Box and gave me the tracking hoping to get refunded and keep my computer. I reported this to eBay immediately for him violating the terms of use and eBay’s policy. I also reported him to USPS. After opening the case with eBay they still advised I “wait” for him to send back the computer. I’m assuming they wanted the 30 day return window to close, which I was surprised they would be letting a blatant scammer still have more time to try other methods on me. After this two days ago I received the computer back on my front door step. He didn’t return through eBay and when I opened the perfectly intact shipping box I see my computer for which I worked so hard to build, afford and acquire in pieces. The motherboard is obviously physically bent and damaged beyond accidental damage, the case is shattered, most components are ripped out of place and tossed around the computer. And to make a long story short the computer was completely destroyed without the box having a dent. He mailed it back with all the foam and bubble wrap I provided in the initial package. After having a small melt down in my room I called eBay with my mom( whom is an attorney licensed at bar in New York State) to file a report and ask for this case to be elevated because it’s blatantly obvious this guy is a scam artist. After filing a report and showing tons of proof the eBay customer support representative(Kyle) assured me that this case will end on my favor. I upload my affidavit and proof to the eBay uploaded as requested. I wake up this morning with two emails from eBay, one saying the documents I uploaded can not be viewed and other stating that this case has ended and eBay has decided to end this case on the buyers behalf !?! What is going on over there at eBay ? I’ve called 5 times and filed 5 reports for this one case and have showed tons of evidence of this guy maliciously violating the eBay terms of service and use. He’s blatantly scamming me and eBay is doing nothing about it. You guys have held his money since December 15th it is now January 17th and the day after the computer arrives broken, even after all the reports you guys still refund him in full? This is just strait fraud and unethical practices. I highly advise any hard working American to stay far away from selling on eBay. 

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I am getting blatantly scammed on eBay. This platform is no longer viable for small sellers?

So you take back the things you said about eBay and thank them? 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 20 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

The phone reps have a terrible reputation for getting you off the phone as soon as possible even if that means giving you the advice you want to hear instead of the advice you need to have.

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness/ — Message button in upper right on landing page.

https://www.instagram.com/ebayforsellers/

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/How-do-I-contact-Customer-Support/m-p/32016431#M1783851 -> Automated Assistant, type AGENT -> enter. You will then get more options.

The social media Chat accounts are covered by trained eBay employees with some authority.
And you get a transcript so you can compare what you heard with what you were told.

Message 2 of 29
latest reply

Sorry this happened but know this:

Nothing will change: there is NO PROOF what he sent you as pictures, video, affidavits etc. can ALL be for 'of another thing' or 'manipulated' to show whatever. 

There is no amount of phone calls (and you will be told all the fluffy happy stuff, but nothing will EVER happen) will change anything. 

Top Rated Sellers that accept Returns can deduct up to 50% of the purchase price when refunding.  If you are not, just a learning lesson selling higher dollar items without being protected by that 'seller protection of 50%). 

This is all done because this site NEEDS to be viable for Buyers BEFORE sellers because there are scammers everywhere, and it there were NOT protections for Buyers, more and more 'thieves' would sell things and ship rocks. 

Message 3 of 29
latest reply

Make sure in your legal case that they they have fraudulent customer service people providing known incorrect information and they have been doing this for years, as evidenced by everyone who posts here and says this.  Ebay has known about the problem for years and years and has done nothing to fix it.  They dont want it fixed.  They want the incorrect info given out to pacify sellers.  Thats what they've done for years.

This is plain fraud.  Fraud against sellers in terms of business partners and also as people who pay ebay for their services.

Message 4 of 29
latest reply

Tough lesson to learn.

eBay will 95% of the time side with the buyer. 

Read the MBG. 

eBay will not look at your proof or the buyers proof. He said she said.

You can file a small claims case against the buyer.

I see you are advising hard working Americans to stay away, yet you still have items listed. 

#1 rule - dont sell online what you cant afford to give away.

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 5 of 29
latest reply

@rugerskick 

I agree, but what would you do if you were to handle those cases for eBay? If they don't refund the buyer, the buyer will open a chargeback case and show they sent the item back to seller, end of story for CC companies.

Message 6 of 29
latest reply

Why did you tell ebay that anything was returned at all. 

If he returned it outside of ebay then why in the world did you report that he had returned it at all. 

Message 7 of 29
latest reply

I am discussing this case.  The seller said that ups told him the buyer sent a bogus tracking number and that the buyer had mailed the package back to his own po box.

All the available evidence points to the buyer committing mail fraud.

Message 8 of 29
latest reply

eBay seller protection will not stand a chance against credit card buyer protection, as simple as that.

Message 9 of 29
latest reply

Please legally eviscerate him and make it known to everyone who did this. 

Message 10 of 29
latest reply

Let me be blunt and please don't take it the wrong way.

We don't know who is scamming who and neither does ebay.

It's your word against the buyer.

Ebay does not consider or even look at evidence.

That's why ebay will almost always side with the buyer.

Sorry this happened to you.

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 11 of 29
latest reply

....even after all the reports you guys still refund him in full?

@mrtechnyc   

Actually, you refunded from your proceeds, correct (even though it was forced)?   eBay does not provide seller protection for faulty/fraudulent returns.  They consider it "part of doing business" (for YOU).  eBay got their take.   By using this site, you agree to let eBay decide these things,   Those that control the money, control the outcome.  

By giving you that information, it doesn't mean I agree with how things are. Most of the responders here know how it works, and know what you are told by the CS reps is often not true.  Basically, your fate is decided as soon as the buyer chooses a 'not as described' reason from the drop down menu. Reports, pictures, and other evidence is basically busy work, for the outcome is already decided regardless of what the buyer sends back. 

From the timelines, and the fact that you got "something" back, I don't even think this was even a freight forwarder issue/out of US buyer that may have saved you from having to refund. 

I would seriously consider filing a complaint with the US  Postal Inspectors as it worked for me more than once:  

Dear Buyer, 

I just wanted to let you know that I received the package back today with the computer.  I don't know what happened, but there was more damage to the contents than would be expected by normal accidental shipping damage.  Apparently, something else happened to it after you shipped it back to me, and it needs to be reported and investigated to determine what may have happened on the way. 

I am going to file a report with the US Postal inspectors regarding this problem.  Though it is not necessary for filing the report, do you have a daytime contact phone number where you can be reached in case they need to speak to you as the sender of the parcel?  Your name and address should suffice.   They usually respond within  24 hours with a case number, and I will forward it to you so you can be kept informed on the progress of the case. 

Sincerely,
You

Of the few times I sent a letter similar to the above ^^^^^ I only had to actually file the case once.  As soon as the buyer got the case number, I was instantly refunded.   Everyone else caved and sent my money back before I filed. 

Fortunately for you, you have an attorney who can advise you.   Good luck, and let us know how it turns out. 

Message 12 of 29
latest reply

Actually what the OP said doesn't make any sense. If the buyer shipped it back to his own PO Box then how did it end up on the sellers front doorstep? 

Message 13 of 29
latest reply

He didn’t return through eBay

He is not required to "return through eBay". He is only required to have delivery confirmation to your address and provide that tracking number to eBay in his dispute. 

it’s blatantly obvious this guy is a scam artist

It is obvious to you, because you know what you sent and what was returned to you. It is not obvious to eBay because they do not know what you shipped or what was returned to you. 

This platform is no longer viable for small sellers?

It is not viable for sellers who encounter too much fraud. It is still viable for those who do not. Some items seem to attract scammers, and others do not. Having read this board for 20 years, I would never sell a computer or phone or gaming system on here. 

Message 14 of 29
latest reply

If the buyer shipped it back to his own PO Box then how did it end up on the sellers front doorstep? 

@asset_liquidators 

As I understand it, that was the buyer's first attempt.  Subsequently, they sent it again with different tracking......" He didn’t return through eBay.."

Message 15 of 29
latest reply