cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am getting blatantly scammed on eBay. This platform is no longer viable for small sellers?

Hello everyone, so on December 15th I sold a new gaming computer to a buyer right before Christmas. I quickly shipped out the brand new computer so he can have it before Christmas for his son. On Christmas morning he messages me telling me the computer won’t power on(keep in mind this system was built, tested and packaged by me with over a decade of experience in the field) so without hesitation I quickly walk him through the troubleshooting process and try everything to accommodate his needs. After a while he sends me pictures of the computer on saying “we have a lift off”. The computer was fully intact without any damage and was powered on. Later that night he messaged me again claiming the computer won’t turn on again.(First red flag) I asked him for photos/video proof of the computer not turning on which he didn’t do or provide. He requested a return and without hesitation I accepted it. After 3 days he randomly send me a picture of a usps recite claiming he’s shipping back the return.(Second Red Flag) After two days he messages me asking if I have received the computer yet, but I didn’t get any notifications from eBay.(Third Red Flag) I looked up the tracking number and confirmed with his local USPS that he sent me a fraudulent tracking number. He sent himself a package to his P.O. Box and gave me the tracking hoping to get refunded and keep my computer. I reported this to eBay immediately for him violating the terms of use and eBay’s policy. I also reported him to USPS. After opening the case with eBay they still advised I “wait” for him to send back the computer. I’m assuming they wanted the 30 day return window to close, which I was surprised they would be letting a blatant scammer still have more time to try other methods on me. After this two days ago I received the computer back on my front door step. He didn’t return through eBay and when I opened the perfectly intact shipping box I see my computer for which I worked so hard to build, afford and acquire in pieces. The motherboard is obviously physically bent and damaged beyond accidental damage, the case is shattered, most components are ripped out of place and tossed around the computer. And to make a long story short the computer was completely destroyed without the box having a dent. He mailed it back with all the foam and bubble wrap I provided in the initial package. After having a small melt down in my room I called eBay with my mom( whom is an attorney licensed at bar in New York State) to file a report and ask for this case to be elevated because it’s blatantly obvious this guy is a scam artist. After filing a report and showing tons of proof the eBay customer support representative(Kyle) assured me that this case will end on my favor. I upload my affidavit and proof to the eBay uploaded as requested. I wake up this morning with two emails from eBay, one saying the documents I uploaded can not be viewed and other stating that this case has ended and eBay has decided to end this case on the buyers behalf !?! What is going on over there at eBay ? I’ve called 5 times and filed 5 reports for this one case and have showed tons of evidence of this guy maliciously violating the eBay terms of service and use. He’s blatantly scamming me and eBay is doing nothing about it. You guys have held his money since December 15th it is now January 17th and the day after the computer arrives broken, even after all the reports you guys still refund him in full? This is just strait fraud and unethical practices. I highly advise any hard working American to stay far away from selling on eBay. 

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Re: I am getting blatantly scammed on eBay. This platform is no longer viable for small sellers?

Sorry but you’re misunderstanding me, he sent me a tracking number of a package he mailed himself to his own P.O. Box. He never sent the computer anywhere at that point he was trying to say the computer arrived at my house In order to receive a full refund and keep my computer. I confirmed with USPS and eBay that the tracking number he messaged me was no good. After all that a week later the computer showed up at my door step and the tracking number was completely different. It wasn’t returned through the eBay system. Take care.

Message 16 of 29
latest reply

Re: I am getting blatantly scammed on eBay. This platform is no longer viable for small sellers?

Thanks for your input. Take care 

Message 17 of 29
latest reply

Hello I would like to inform everyone that eBay accepted my appeal and overturned the case. I received my payout and the order will no longer affect my seller performance. Thank you all for your help and input. Take care. 

Message 18 of 29
latest reply

They will come and take the payment back if buyer files a chargeback, it happened to me after I won the case. Hf eBay refunded them, then you're good.

Message 19 of 29
latest reply

So you take back the things you said about eBay and thank them? 

Message 20 of 29
latest reply

Yes I thank them for making it right. I would still advise low level tech sellers on eBay to not provide returns. This was a headache and a half but I am just happy eBay was able to handle this matter correctly. Take care everyone and thanks again. 

Message 21 of 29
latest reply

Hello I would like to inform everyone that eBay accepted my appeal and overturned the case. 

@mrtechnyc 

Great news!  Surprising news, but happy for you!!!!!

Message 22 of 29
latest reply

Thanks I appreciate it. 

Message 23 of 29
latest reply

I would still advise low level tech sellers on eBay to not provide returns.

No Returns does not mean No Refunds.

It means that the seller never wants to see the item again.

But the buyer can still get a refund on his disappointing purchase.

Nevertheless, even a seller with a No Returns policy can demand that the purchase be returned before refunding.

The seller will likely have to pay for the tracked return shipping.

And if the buyer cannot prove delivery to the seller there is no refund.

In my opinion, a No Returns policy is more likely to lead to Claims and Disputes than the friendlier Returns Accepted. With No Returns a buyer may not file a Claim, but leave negative feedback. Or may change a  Buyer Remorse claim  and pay for the return themself for a sweater than doesn't fit to a Not As Described claim which means the seller is paying for return shipping.

No returns does not mean no refunds.

And our buyers are also protected by Paypal and by their credit card chargeback policies. While eBay restricts Claims to 30 days, PP and most cards allow 180 days from payment for claims and chargebacks.

But.

The seller has to keep on top of it.

The Buyer is not required to use eBay shipping, or even a prepaid label from the seller.

Weird not to, but not a requirement.

If the buyer is claiming that the purchase has been sent to the seller, the seller has to immediately inform eBay if the address was not theirs.

The Return Shipping Label information/tracking number would have shown that as soon as it was sent.

Accepting that the purchase was on its way, means you are an honest person who wouldn't think to check, but didn't help you when the eBay claim was closed -- at least the first time.

Some categories are more fraught than others.

Sellers have to take the long view.

What percentage annually of your sales go awry? Anything over one percent is above the industry average.

And that average is skewed by Amazon's report that they have 40% of their sales returned.

BTW- that could be number of transactions or value of transactions for the one percent.

Message 24 of 29
latest reply

Don't really care about the money its the principal i worked for that money I wasn't going to hand it to a scammer. I see you have a lot of free time giving useless input, i was just looking for help. Take care.

Message 25 of 29
latest reply

mrtechnyc comments to klhmdg--I see you have a lot of free time giving useless input..............

kabilab responds--I respect that is your opinion. I disagree as mine is you receive sound and concise advise from klhmdg.

Message 26 of 29
latest reply

No offense but no one ever says this when a buyer posts they were scammed by a seller.

The only time anyone decides to throw doubt/we don't know stuff on a poster who says they were scammed, is when it is a seller saying it.

Message 27 of 29
latest reply

So the seller cant provide a bogus tracking number, which he did, but send back a destroyed pc without tracking or different tracking?  The pc came back in pieces, do you really think the buyer exhibits they are playing with a full deck here?

Message 28 of 29
latest reply

Maybe if you could describe any details of the process ebay used to do their review and reversal, to put it down in writing here, especially for those who say it can never happen, that would be appreciated.  Any tips on how you approached them stating your case again would be helpful, too.

Message 29 of 29
latest reply