cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to "Add to the item description" for a listing with bidders and more than 12 hours left

The Revise a listing help page says that, for listings with more than 12 hours left that have bids, you can't edit the listing description, but you can add to the item description.

How do I do that? When in the Revise listing dialog, I only see that I can't edit the description.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

How to "Add to the item description" for a listing with bidders and more than 12 hours left

Are you using the website or the app? I had the same issue. The app gave me the option to add information.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

You should see a second description box below the first description box where you can type in your addition. If you have active bidders it's also a good idea to message them and alert them to the changes.

Do you not see that second description box? Are you using the app or the website?

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

I'm having the same issue. I am not seeing the second description box in either the app or the website. Very frustrating.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Keep in mind that if you add something to the description of an item after there has been bids, you can't try to hold your bidder or bidders to what you have added.  Similar to when it is a BIN, the purchase agreement is what it is at the time of purchase on a BIN and at the time of a bid on Auctions.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Ebay is selling everyone short by no longer allowing adding to the description on active items. Improved and often important details add to an item's value and everyone's bottom line. ( pronounced $$$$$$$$$$$$) And clears up confusion that may have occurred. 

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@oldantiochian wrote:

Ebay is selling everyone short by no longer allowing adding to the description on active items. Improved and often important details add to an item's value and everyone's bottom line. ( pronounced $$$$$$$$$$$$) And clears up confusion that may have occurred. 

I firmly disagree.  No seller has the right to change what is being described / sold on someone that has already bid on the item.  This applies to auctions only.  No one, not the seller or the buyer has the right to change the terms of the purchase agreement once it has been purchased.  If your added information is really important to the listing, then you need to send apology emails to all your buyers.  Cancel their bids.  End the listing and then relist with the corrects.  You can then notify the buyers that it is relisted with the corrects and they can then decide if they still want the item.  That is the safest way for you to do this.

Fixed price listings can be changed at any time.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@oldantiochian wrote:

I firmly disagree.  No seller has the right to change what is being described / sold on someone that has already bid on the item.  This applies to auctions only.  No one, not the seller or the buyer has the right to change the terms of the purchase agreement once it has been purchased.  If your added information is really important to the listing, then you need to send apology emails to all your buyers.  Cancel their bids.  End the listing and then relist with the corrects.  You can then notify the buyers that it is relisted with the corrects and they can then decide if they still want the item.  That is the safest way for you to do this.

Fixed price listings can be changed at any time.

Disagree or agree is not the issue here 

This poster isn't saying Change they are saying Add to 
ebay always allowed sellers to add to the item description of any auction with over 12hrs & with bids it still remains in the Help section as ALLOWED .

Sure I would message a bidder that I had to add some information and offer to cancel their bids if it resulted in a problem with the item
Maybe I want to add information to avoid a ton of questions which cannot easily be found under the Contact seller ( Because from being on these boards all these years I can tell you many users have no idea that is where to find posted answers anymore.)
ebay should update the help pages if they have removed this option 

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/listings/revising-listing?id=4356

Bids
You can:
Add a second category, unless there are category restrictions (fees may apply)
Add to the item description
Add photos
Add optional listing upgrades to increase your item’s visibility

Message 8 of 8
latest reply