cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to clean?

What is the best way to clean something like this? It is Guardian Service cast aluminum.PXL_20240501_135331673.jpg

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

How to clean?

@deserdog 

Had that before, I use 

17145728292472023686598253127521.jpg

 Walmart automotive section

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

How to clean?

I will give it a try. 

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

How to clean?

Great tip.  I'll buy that on my next trip to Wal*Mart.   Thank-you!

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

How to clean?

don't have a product tip........but using a toothbrush with whatever can help in the nooks and crannies....

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

How to clean?

@toysaver 

If my brother uses it on his baby 62 then that tells ya something! The stuff is great!

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

How to clean?

@dhbookds wrote:

don't have a product tip........but using a toothbrush with whatever can help in the nooks and crannies....

I was thinking along those same lines... it's got a lot of embedded crud that will probably come out completely once you go at it with a soft brush. The bristles will get into the recesses and physically push the dirt out.

If that were mine, I'd let it soak a short while in warm water, then go at it with a soft brush and liquid dishwashing detergent applied directly to the brush. Once it's all clean and dry, follow up with the recommended polish (above).

P.S. Found this on-line while looking for something else: "Guardian Service cookware was made by Century Metalcraft Corp., a company that started in Chicago in 1933 and moved to Los Angeles in 1938. It closed after the factory burned down in 1956." I have a thing about old family cookware... I just find it kind of neat that it can survive for decades if not a century or two... imagine all the meals prepared over all those years... 😋

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

How to clean?

@deserdog 

Maybe Tarnex?, but not a lot.  I like @dhbookds idea concerning a toothbrush.  

Happy Selling.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

How to clean?

A toothbrush will never work.  I clean gunky greasy silverware on a daily basis.  You need a stiff metal brush to clean that type of decades old food out.   I soak old silverware in boiling soapy water then work on the crevices of the design with a wire brush, sometimes a dental tool helps. 

Most stores have something like this in the paint section.  A bigger version for an outdoor grill will likely be good on a big old pot. 

3 Piece Detail Wire Brush Set - P40439 - Small - New | eBay

In the end it's elbow grease that get the job done.  

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

How to clean?

@deserdog wrote:

What is the best way to clean something like this? It is Guardian Service cast aluminum.

Bar Keepers Friend i found works wonders. If you do a lot of pot/pan cleaning, i would suggest investing in a Dremel Versa Power Scrubber (not much money) and also get some rubber gloves to protect your hands from the chemicals. (dollar store sells them cheap)

-Good Luck

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

How to clean?

A tooth brush does not work. I have used barkeeps friend, and it took some of the gunk off, not that in the dips and crevices though. I tried boiling for a while in a water white vinegar solution, it just softened it some. 

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

How to clean?

@deserdog wrote:

A tooth brush does not work. I have used barkeeps friend, and it took some of the gunk off, not that in the dips and crevices though. I tried boiling for a while in a water white vinegar solution, it just softened it some. 

I use the powder form of Bar Keepers Friend (with a power scrubber) for bigger areas and use the liquid form of Bar Keepers Friend with a small brush for the nooks. Works amazing on Revere Copper Pots/Pans as well. If you have a lot of gunk from years of accumulation, it may take a few times to get it squeaky clean.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

How to clean?

@chevymontecarlo88 wrote:
If you have a lot of gunk from years of accumulation, it may take a few times to get it squeaky clean.

Oh, Gawd, yes; ain't that the truth. After all, if the problem crud was all that easy to clean, it wouldn't have built up in the first place, so you should not expect perfection on the first attempt. What you're looking for is to see whether your cleaning strategy is at least reducing the buildup, and if it is, then you're headed in the right direction.

I find that when cleaning things in general, the toughest step is the first one. Once you've gotten through the outer crust of whatever you're attacking, the rest of it goes a little easier.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply