cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to accept a return?

I am having a buyer return a ring because it did not fit. I have no problem with that.

But it has been so long since I had a return I am not sure of Ebays way to do things anymore.

I used to just say "fine, mail it back to me" and when I got it I refunded.

Do buyers need to click on Return and go through the Ebay procedures these days?

And in this case, I do not have free returns (it is from my other ebay store).

Cece
My Jewels
Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Re: How to accept a return?

@hawaiibeads wrote:

I am having a buyer return a ring because it did not fit. I have no problem with that.

But it has been so long since I had a return I am not sure of Ebays way to do things anymore.

Do buyers need to click on Return and go through the Ebay procedures these days?

It benefits both buyers and sellers to have the buyer open a return request through there purchase history page.  All they have to do is find the transaction in there purchase history and use the drop down box from that transaction and choose one of the options.

Good Luck Selling!

Message 2 of 25
latest reply

Thank you! Wanted to be sure I told my buyer the right way to go.

Cece
My Jewels
Message 3 of 25
latest reply

NO you do not have to have the buyer open a claim.  It is an option, but NOT a requirement.  

If I have a buyer contact me via Ebay email with an issue, I have no problem taking care of the needs of my customer.  Opening a claim does not make me give my buyer better customer service.  

I just have the buyer return the item, when it comes back I issue the refund to my customer.  If the FVF is of importance, I call Ebay and get it refunded.  They will do that as they can see that I issued a refund.

When you have the buyer open the claim, if it is a SNAD, it counts against you in the Service Metrics.  No matter the reason it is opened or the outcome, a SNAD counts against you in the Service Metrics.  So I don't advise sellers to insist the buyer opens a claim as it really isn't in the seller's best interest.  But that does mean that the seller is still responsible for taking proper care of their customer.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 4 of 25
latest reply

It's better that you ask your buyer to return the item directly, rather than have them start a return request at eBay. That way, after you get the item back and refund your buyer, you'll get an out of stock defect. Just ask eBay to remove that defect when you call to get your FVF credit on the refund, no problem.

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

@alseyf-73 wrote:

It's better that you ask your buyer to return the item directly, rather than have them start a return request at eBay. That way, after you get the item back and refund your buyer, you'll get an out of stock defect. Just ask eBay to remove that defect when you call to get your FVF credit on the refund, no problem.

No you don't.  This was a much discussed topic on a Weekly Chat or two an another thread.  This is a bit of reading, but you may find it useful.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/PP-Refunds-or-Cancel-Transaction/m-p/29599867/highlight/false#...

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Weekly-Chat-with-eBay-Staff/Community-Chat-Feb-13-from-1-00-pm-PT-Gene...

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Weekly-Chat-with-eBay-Staff/Community-Chat-Feb-20-from-1-00-pm-PT-Gene...

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

NO you do not have to have the buyer open a claim.  It is an option, but NOT a requirement.  

If I have a buyer contact me via Ebay email with an issue, I have no problem taking care of the needs of my customer.  Opening a claim does not make me give my buyer better customer service.  

I just have the buyer return the item, when it comes back I issue the refund to my customer.  If the FVF is of importance, I call Ebay and get it refunded.  They will do that as they can see that I issued a refund.

When you have the buyer open the claim, if it is a SNAD, it counts against you in the Service Metrics.  No matter the reason it is opened or the outcome, a SNAD counts against you in the Service Metrics.  So I don't advise sellers to insist the buyer opens a claim as it really isn't in the seller's best interest.  But that does mean that the seller is still responsible for taking proper care of their customer.

The OP asked about the correct way to do this and eBay highly recommends sellers and buyers use the process in place which is what I explained.  There is great benefit for both parties to conduct this action in a way that everyone including eBay can see the actions each party has performed.

We see lots of thread where sellers making claims of buyers getting refunds and also keeping the item.  This is because sellers are reading your type of loophole directions  and doing these returns outside of the eBay recommended processes and they end up losing everything.

How many sellers have to lose everything before you quit recommending they operate within a loophole versus the high recommended way eBay has in place?

Good Luck Selling!

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

@alseyf-73 wrote:

@alseyf-73 

Absolutely wrong! Why would a seller want to possibly get a defect and then have to go through the rigamorole of having the defect removed.

There are processes in place for returns. These processes protect both the buyer and the seller.

A return for "Does not fit" causes no defect or service metrics ding for the seller...it is a Remorse reason.

Opening a return is not "opening a case". A return request only becomes a case if eBay has to step in on an MBG Reason return.

Just for reference, these are the reasons that eBay gives to a buyer in the dropdown return menu: (pink are MBG / SNAD, black are remorse)

Doesn't fit
Changed my mind
Found a better price
Just didn't like it
Ordered by mistake
Doesn't work or defective
Doesn't match description or photos
Wrong item sent
Missing parts or pieces
Arrived damaged
Doesn't seem authentic

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

@goodluckselling wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

The OP asked about the correct way to do this and eBay highly recommends sellers and buyers use the process in place which is what I explained.  There is great benefit for both parties to conduct this action in a way that everyone including eBay can see the actions each party has performed.

We see lots of thread where sellers making claims of buyers getting refunds and also keeping the item.  This is because sellers are reading your type of loophole directions  and doing these returns outside of the eBay recommended processes and they end up losing everything.

How many sellers have to lose everything before you quit recommending they operate within a loophole versus the high recommended way eBay has in place?

Good Luck Selling!

You and I have been around and around this subject on various threads and you called it out on the Weekly chat as well.  In the first link I gave a few posts back, on that thread Trinton explained things a bit better than they had in the past.  This was a thread that you were on as well.  While you never acknowledged Trinton's post, I'm sure you have seen it.

You are correct, Ebay does recommend that a claim be open.  But there is NO REQUIREMENT to do so.  And Trinton supported that on the thread.

So while you agree with Ebay's recommendation is just that.  You agree with the recommendation.  It does NOT mean it is the only CORRECT way to handle the situation.  It is simply your recommendation and that of Ebay's.

Ebay makes all kinds of recommendations about all kinds of things across the site.  That does not mean they are requirements nor does it mean it is the only RIGHT way to do something.  There is a difference between a requirement and a recommendation.

I respect that your recommendation is to have the buyer file a claim.  I respect that you have no problem supporting the Service Metrics.  So please respect my recommendations as they do NOT breach policy or any rule on Ebay.  And please stop treating it like I do.  I've been a responsible seller on this site for a long time and have no need or desire to mislead other members.

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

@penguins_dont_fly wrote:

@alseyf-73 wrote:

@alseyf-73 

Absolutely wrong! Why would a seller want to possibly get a defect and then have to go through the rigamorole of having the defect removed.

There are processes in place for returns. These processes protect both the buyer and the seller.

A return for "Does not fit" causes no defect or service metrics ding for the seller...it is a Remorse reason.

Opening a return is not "opening a case". A return request only becomes a case if eBay has to step in on an MBG Reason return.

Just for reference, these are the reasons that eBay gives to a buyer in the dropdown return menu: (pink are MBG / SNAD, black are remorse)

Doesn't fit
Changed my mind
Found a better price
Just didn't like it
Ordered by mistake
Doesn't work or defective
Doesn't match description or photos
Wrong item sent
Missing parts or pieces
Arrived damaged
Doesn't seem authentic

@penguins_dont_fly 

@alseyf-73 

If there is communication present in Ebay messages where the buyer and seller agree to return and subsequent refund, the seller WILL NOT get an OOS defect for issuing a full refund.  But the communications need to be there.

Post 45 on the thread below.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/PP-Refunds-or-Cancel-Transaction/m-p/29599867/highlight/false#...

Message 10 of 25
latest reply

@hawaiibeads wrote:

Yes, once a buyer opens a return the seller has to physically "ACCEPT" the return by going to this screen:

https://www.ebay.com/sh/ord/return

A seller may alternatively opt to "automatically accept" returns by setting up rules (works similar to setting up email filters) from this screen:

https://www.ebay.com/rtn/Return/SellerRules

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

@alseyf-73 wrote:

Allowing a buyer to circumvent the returns process places that buyer outside the Money Back Guarantee which means the seller can take the item back and then fail to issue a refund.  If both sides follow the process the buyer is always protected and we want our buyers to not only be protected but also educated on the proper methods so that they have recourse against certain unscrupulous sellers.

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

NO you do not have to have the buyer open a claim.  It is an option, but NOT a requirement.  It is not just an option.  It is the direction eBay gives to buyers and sellers in the help pages, weekly chat,  several threads you mentioned, and the only way for the buyer and seller to retain there MBG benefits.  Not a requirement is an option to the written and highly recommended eBay MBG path but it comes with drawbacks.

If I have a buyer contact me via Ebay email with an issue, I have no problem taking care of the needs of my customer.  Opening a claim does not make me give my buyer better customer service.  Actually it does.  When a buyer, seller and or eBay can all see the actions of all parties this makes things easier for any of the parties to go to one location and be able to see all actions.  What if the buyer has to contact eBay for whatever reason and eBay has to tell them I do not see any request opened I can not help you with anything you just said.

I just have the buyer return the item, when it comes back I issue the refund to my customer.  If the FVF is of importance, I call Ebay and get it refunded.  They will do that as they can see that I issued a refund.  Your path is not a guarantee that you will get fees back or that you will not get  defects.  It just is not as simple as you want to make it and you should not be encouraging others looking for help to work through this loophole.

When you have the buyer open the claim, if it is a SNAD, it counts against you in the Service Metrics.  No matter the reason it is opened or the outcome, a SNAD counts against you in the Service Metrics.  So I don't advise sellers to insist the buyer opens a claim as it really isn't in the seller's best interest.  But that does mean that the seller is still responsible for taking proper care of their customer.  So you are telling buyers how you want to handle snad returns outside of the designed paths eBay setup because it is not in you the sellers best interest?  What about giving the buyer the directions that are in there best interest so they can retain there MBG benefits?  It is almost as if you are trying to get something over on them?

Message 13 of 25
latest reply

@goodluckselling wrote:

So you are telling buyers how you want to handle snad returns outside of the designed paths eBay setup because it is not in you the sellers best interest?  What about giving the buyer the directions that are in there best interest so they can retain there MBG benefits?

Returning an item using the MBG, the buyer gets step-by-step notices, and eBay Help pages.

Going through the loophole instead, the buyer doesn't have any help pages, and forfeits the oversight to force a refund, for one of numerous fiascos, should the trustworthy-until-now seller go silent after the return outside the MBG is delivered back.

The latter route is: Highly UN-recommended.

We have no bahamas today.
Message 14 of 25
latest reply

@coco9619 wrote:

@goodluckselling wrote:

So you are telling buyers how you want to handle snad returns outside of the designed paths eBay setup because it is not in you the sellers best interest?  What about giving the buyer the directions that are in there best interest so they can retain there MBG benefits?

Returning an item using the MBG, the buyer gets step-by-step notices, and eBay Help pages.

Going through the loophole instead, the buyer doesn't have any help pages, and forfeits the oversight to force a refund, for one of numerous fiascos, should the trustworthy-until-now seller go silent after the return outside the MBG is delivered back.

The latter route is: Highly UN-recommended.

It isn't a "loophole".  It has been done for years and years on Ebay.  It is ONLY since the fall of last year with the birth of the Service Metrics that Ebay's recommendations on returns changed.  BEFORE the Service Metrics, there was even a reason in the cancellation process that sellers could choose that was for refunding the buyer.

Before the Service Metrics Ebay use to encourage sellers to take care of their customers when they emailed us with a problem.  It was last year when there was some dramatic changes to the site.  

Its the choice of the trading partners.  Each has a right to decide for themselves what they want to do.  If a buyer wants to request the return via a claim, then that is what they should do.  If the buyer would prefer not to have a claim and work directly with the seller instead, there is nothing wrong with that either.  The seller just needs to make sure to take proper care of the buyer using either method.

Message 15 of 25
latest reply