cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get rid of this guy?

I've posted about him before.  He's been my biggest buyer, he's probably spent $10k in the last 8 years.  Up until the last year or so he's been a good customer. The problem now is he comes in and scoops up all my auctions with no bidders at the very end, and then much of the time doesn't pay.  Last summer at one point he owed me $1500, all of which I had to write off and relist.  Then he bought them again.  And didn't pay.  Currently he has 9 outstanding auctions in addition to the 5 I canceled late last month because of non payment, totaling about $300.

I'm sure he gets non payment strikes and has his account suspended, but he just opens a new account.  His original account had over 25k feedback but now he has different accounts, all with very low feedback ratings.  I have my listings set to not allow anyone with non payment strikes but he always seems to have an account that can get past that.  It's like playing wack a mole - I can ban and report but he always has an account that he can use.  I'd have to count for sure but I think I've seen 8 or so in the last year.

I'm not sure what to do here.  He's costing me money and wasting my time.

Message 1 of 95
latest reply
94 REPLIES 94

you can block buyers. 

Message 76 of 95
latest reply

@huemobe0 wrote:

you can block buyers. 

@huemobe0 

When you have a buyer that creates multiple IDs, how is the seller to know which buyer to block?  

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 77 of 95
latest reply

I don't know if it's possible but I thought the seller can set up that they will not accept bids with buyers with low feedback like 0 or very low feedback.  Maybe the seller can set up that no bid can be accepted if the feedback is less than 50 or lower.  So when the person creates multiple accounts, it could delay or stop someone from bidding on his item.  Is this possible? 

As for the high feedback accounts, just file non-payer bidder strikes and block them. 

Message 78 of 95
latest reply

Make everything Buy it Now with Immediate Payment.

Message 79 of 95
latest reply

@cardsforauction wrote:

I don't know if it's possible but I thought the seller can set up that they will not accept bids with buyers with low feedback like 0 or very low feedback.  Maybe the seller can set up that no bid can be accepted if the feedback is less than 50 or lower.  So when the person creates multiple accounts, it could delay or stop someone from bidding on his item.  Is this possible? 

As for the high feedback accounts, just file non-payer bidder strikes and block them. 

@cardsforauction 

Ebay has never allowed that, nor would they.  That would be bad as it would discourage new buyers from coming to Ebay.  

Message 80 of 95
latest reply

I know in the late 90s and early 2000s several sellers on eBay used to write in the descriptions rules for their auctions and said 'Reserve the right to Cancel bid or Bidder must have feedback of at least 10 or more to bid" 

Message 81 of 95
latest reply

I do.  Every time he doesn't pay I cancel for that reason and block the ID.  The problem is he just creates another.  I've got a list of 19 accounts he's used to buy from me, all blocked.

Message 82 of 95
latest reply

It may come down to that.  The problem is I use auctions extensively to sell items by lot that I can't sell separately.  The idea is to get rid of them quickly yet still make a bit of money.  I used to take that stuff to swap meets and put it on the dollar tarp but I haven't done a swap meet in years because of the time and effort committment.

Message 83 of 95
latest reply

@cardsforauction wrote:

I know in the late 90s and early 2000s several sellers on eBay used to write in the descriptions rules for their auctions and said 'Reserve the right to Cancel bid or Bidder must have feedback of at least 10 or more to bid" 

Sellers can do that, but it's not allowed to cancel bids for that reason.

Message 84 of 95
latest reply

@cardsforauction wrote:

@cardsforauction 

Simply writing something in the description of your listings as part of your TOS [terms of sale] doesn't mean the seller can enforce it.  

I too remember sellers doing that and many other things.  Still they had no way to enforce it as Ebay doesn't allow it and never allowed it.  

Sellers back then however could manually go in and cancel the bids of new members and then put those members on their BBL.  A bad business practice, but it could be done back then.

Ebay has never allowed Ebay to block new members from purchasing or bidding.

Message 85 of 95
latest reply

OK, I THINK I've finally figured out how to get rid of him.

Customer service was useless. They didn't do anything.  What I finally did was in addition to continuing to block every account he used with me, I set all my listings to reject any bids or purchases from any account with 2 or more unpaid strikes in the last 12 months.  The last account he used had a feedback rating of less than  10, so hopefully Ebay has been suspending his accounts and his bad habits have finally caught up to him.

Message 86 of 95
latest reply

I thought you stated in your first post you had already been doing this.

Message 87 of 95
latest reply

Competitor?  I've had that happen.  I had it happen three times in a row on a large cumbersome computer.  I finally sold it cash for more to a local and mentioned my ordeal and they nonchalantly said it was probably a competitor.  Same thing, only bidder, no response. 

Message 88 of 95
latest reply

Am aware of the age of this post from 05/16/23, but had to reply anyway.

You have a chronic nonpayer.  Sorry to hear that.

When you use the term "write off", are you saying that you don't cancel, citing "buyer did not pay" as the reason? Why are you not doing that?  

Message 89 of 95
latest reply

So you are actually cancelling, citing "buyer did not pay" as your reason?

Then why do you mention "taking a write off" in your original post? 

Message 90 of 95
latest reply