cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I insure a seller's return label in the case that they are the swinlding type?

I bought an item from a seller. I got a better version of the item from family in the time that it took to get to me. The seller offers free returns, so I requested a return label, but they mentioned having to examine it first to offer the refund. Now, in a perfect world this would be a smooth transaction, but I've recently been the victim of SNAD/INAD fraud (costing me $1000), so I have little trust with how eBay will handle the situation in the event that the seller says it arrived broken. How can I insure a return package that has a label on it already that probably has insurance on it, but not in my name? That is, I want to insure an already labled package in my name too. Is that possible? Courier is UPS.

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Re: How can I insure a seller's return label in the case that they are the swinlding type?

eBay doesn't care what the condition of the returned item is.

As soon as the tracking shows that it was delivered back to the seller, they have around five days to issue a full refund.

Message 16 of 28
latest reply

Re: How can I insure a seller's return label in the case that they are the swinlding type?

@sam9876

I know that is usually the case. Just a suggestion. There have been a few times where the peace of mind was worth the $$ the extra insurance provided. So that's what I did.

I haven't seen any threads yet on how ebay is going to handle cases where a seller only issues a partial refund, and the buyer askes ebay to step in. I assume ebay will just pay the buyer the balance and add it to the seller's invoice.

Déjà Moo: The strange feeling that I've heard this bull before...
Message 17 of 28
latest reply

@sam9876 wrote:

eBay doesn't care what the condition of the returned item is.

As soon as the tracking shows that it was delivered back to the seller, they have around five days to issue a full refund.

Nope. Not anymore thanks to the summer update. The OP offers free returns. They don’t have to issue a full refund. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 18 of 28
latest reply

@psychecafe63 wrote:

No the SNAD incident was me as a seller. The person who said it arrived "broken" got a free generator with the forced refund. Yeah... They sent in photos of an open panel and a small crack on the top corner that costs like $20 to replace, which I offered to replace... c'est la vie eBay seems to think what happened was a fair judgement.

Oh, I see...and I remember that.  Sorry that happened to  you.  Smiley Sad

Message 19 of 28
latest reply

What made me think you didn't know that was that you posted in the first place. I didn't realize you were also a seller as I didn't think a seller would hurt another seller with a remorse return.  Now that seller is out shipping both ways.

Message 20 of 28
latest reply

"There have been a few times where the peace of mind was worth the $$ the extra insurance provided."

How would insurance on a return provide peace of mind?

Message 21 of 28
latest reply

"Nope. Not anymore thanks to the summer update. The OP offers free returns. They don’t have to issue a full refund. "

What happens if the buyer files a SNAD complaint with PayPal?

Message 22 of 28
latest reply

@sam9876 wrote:

"Nope. Not anymore thanks to the summer update. The OP offers free returns. They don’t have to issue a full refund. "

What happens if the buyer files a SNAD complaint with PayPal?

You mean after a partial eBay refund is issued? That I would like to know the answer to.

The buyer could appeal through eBay and possibly receive a courtesy credit for the balance. If they go straight to PayPal will PayPal force the seller to refund the balance? A credit card chargeback would probably force the seller to refund the balance.

Message 23 of 28
latest reply

@moo*cow*corner wrote:

If you have the tracking number and the details of the package, I don't see why you couldn't use an independent 3rd party insurer such as U-PIC or Shipsurance.

Of course, if the seller receiving the return doesn't cooperate with a claim, then I dunno, you may be SOL. I think most 3rd party insurers usually require email affidavits before paying out on a claim.

Plus, a claim payment would be reduced by whatever amount of insurance is provided by the carrier. UPS liability is max $100 unless more coverage is purchased with the label.

I have a recent order which I insure with U-PIC and shipped USPS priority,which has a $50 insurance included,I am not a toprated seller.

I insure the item for $1k with UPIC,the item was damaged and the loss is $600.

Now here comes this screwy situation-

To get the $50 from USPS,they want me to take it to the post office and have them look at it,fill out forms and keep the item.

As the items is insured with U-PIC for $1k and  my claim with them is $600,no way am i going to let USPS keep the item, in case U-PIC wants to look at the item as well.

(U-PIC has on ocasion ask the filer to ship them the item,for review).

So that $50 insurance is useless in this case,I CANT let them keep the item for $50 and face my claim being denied by U-PIC if they ask me to ship the item to them so they can look at it.

Lucky me,U-PIC approved my claim last week.

But just let you know and I also wrote a letter to USPS in St louis and let them know of this dilenma/

Message 24 of 28
latest reply

@moo*cow*corner wrote:

I haven't seen any threads yet on how ebay is going to handle cases where a seller only issues a partial refund, and the buyer askes ebay to step in. I assume ebay will just pay the buyer the balance and add it to the seller's invoice.

I can't help but believe it is just a matter of time before we see them start.  Ebay is playing a game of whack a mole with returns. 

How soon before all returns are tracked and fees increased to cover what ebay is paying out to make buyers whole when sellers keep up to one half the money on returns?

It seems given a window of opportunity will bring out the worst in some people on either the buyer or seller side.

Message 26 of 28
latest reply

I find this question humerous as it's usually the sellers who need to and should be asking this question. Sellers get hit constantly with false NAD claims merely so the buyers can return whatever the feel like sending back and get paid for the item and 2 way shipping-often keeping the original item too. 

Also everytime a seller accepts returns for items there is nothing wrong with the seller looses money by having to pay for the original and then repeat listing and a Paypal fee because the financial transaction was completed.

I realize there are some bad sellers and have been hurt by them myself but truthfully almost every time the seller was one of those cheap Chinese vendors Ebay loves.

Message 27 of 28
latest reply

This is pretty cool. Definitely something to consider in the future. Just checked Shipsurance out of curiosity. So they've been around since 2003, that's a good sign I think:

Screen Shot 2018-07-02 at 9.26.03 PM.png

whois icann ^^^

Screen Shot 2018-07-02 at 9.29.17 PM.png

businesssearch.sos.ca.gov ^^^

Screen Shot 2018-07-02 at 9.31.33 PM.pngshipsurance website footer ^^^

I noticed in their filings that they are a "SMALL parcel" shipping insurance provider:

Screen Shot 2018-07-02 at 9.35.33 PM.png

Anyone had experience with this? What does "SMALL" mean? I guess they were G&S Insurance before. They've got an A+ BBB.org rating. Here is a good example of some complaints vis-a-vis eBay and INAD/SNAD claims:

Screen Shot 2018-07-02 at 9.41.52 PM.png

Message 28 of 28
latest reply