cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I insure a seller's return label in the case that they are the swinlding type?

I bought an item from a seller. I got a better version of the item from family in the time that it took to get to me. The seller offers free returns, so I requested a return label, but they mentioned having to examine it first to offer the refund. Now, in a perfect world this would be a smooth transaction, but I've recently been the victim of SNAD/INAD fraud (costing me $1000), so I have little trust with how eBay will handle the situation in the event that the seller says it arrived broken. How can I insure a return package that has a label on it already that probably has insurance on it, but not in my name? That is, I want to insure an already labled package in my name too. Is that possible? Courier is UPS.

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: How can I insure a seller's return label in the case that they are the swinlding type?

If you have the tracking number and the details of the package, I don't see why you couldn't use an independent 3rd party insurer such as U-PIC or Shipsurance.

Of course, if the seller receiving the return doesn't cooperate with a claim, then I dunno, you may be SOL. I think most 3rd party insurers usually require email affidavits before paying out on a claim.

Plus, a claim payment would be reduced by whatever amount of insurance is provided by the carrier. UPS liability is max $100 unless more coverage is purchased with the label.

Déjà Moo: The strange feeling that I've heard this bull before...

View Best Answer in original post

Message 15 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Re: How can I insure a seller's return label in the case that they are the swinlding type?

I don't think you can
Message 2 of 28
latest reply

In a perfect world you would graciously take up the seller's offer of a free return and understand that most sellers want to briefly inspect a return before issuing the refund.  Also remember that your purchase is fully backed by Ebay.  So there is actually little for you need to do other than sit back and chill.

Message 3 of 28
latest reply

It's normal for a seller to want to check out the item before offering a refund. People have been known to send rocks back.

It sounds like this was a smooth transaction and you probably have nothing to worry about.

Message 4 of 28
latest reply

What would the insurance accomplish? I think the seller is more concerned that you used the item and that's why they are talking about inspecting it.

Message 5 of 28
latest reply

Sellers like to make sure they don't receive garbage back before refunding. Ebay will side with you, the buyer, anyway. In a perfect world you would not return something for buyers remorse. This seller just lost time and money.

Message 6 of 28
latest reply

The seller can issue a partial refund up to 50% since he offers free returns. shipping Insurance doesn't protect you from that kind of loss. If the seller feels you returned the item in an altered condition and he issues a partial refund, you can ask ebay to step in.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 7 of 28
latest reply

Just a thought~why not try to sell the item yourself on Ebay?  After all, that is where you bought it.  

Regarding the $1,000.00 SNAD/INAD, that is surprising as the Buyer Protection is great here, if you use it properly.  You do have a 30 day deadline to file a request.

Message 8 of 28
latest reply

No the SNAD incident was me as a seller. The person who said it arrived "broken" got a free generator with the forced refund. Yeah... They sent in photos of an open panel and a small crack on the top corner that costs like $20 to replace, which I offered to replace... c'est la vie eBay seems to think what happened was a fair judgement.

Message 9 of 28
latest reply

Nah, it's all in good condition. I just hate it when people take advantage of eBay's loophole policies, and I'm left in the rain like an idiot.

Message 10 of 28
latest reply

In my head, if they said it arrived broken, then I'm made whole because I originally spent $X on it, and I have the receipt, so I could file a claim and get my money back. They'd keep their money and have the item because some guy in India okayed the return and Corrupto Co. can continue business as usual. Keep in mind my comments only sound this way because I lost my expensive property to a 1" cosmetic crack to eBay's resolution team.

Message 11 of 28
latest reply

What makes you think I don't get that?

Message 12 of 28
latest reply

That's what I'm going to do, but you must admit, people can apparently just say it's broken and eBay believes it. Again, I'm biased by my recent experience with eBay's resoluation team.

Message 13 of 28
latest reply

I remember your thread about the generator, now I could be wrong, but it's coming off like you started this thread so you'd be able to go back and forth with posters again about the generator in a roundabout way.

Message 14 of 28
latest reply

If you have the tracking number and the details of the package, I don't see why you couldn't use an independent 3rd party insurer such as U-PIC or Shipsurance.

Of course, if the seller receiving the return doesn't cooperate with a claim, then I dunno, you may be SOL. I think most 3rd party insurers usually require email affidavits before paying out on a claim.

Plus, a claim payment would be reduced by whatever amount of insurance is provided by the carrier. UPS liability is max $100 unless more coverage is purchased with the label.

Déjà Moo: The strange feeling that I've heard this bull before...
Message 15 of 28
latest reply