cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! Nothing I have up is selling!!

So, this year I decided to reopen shop after Ebay wiped all of my listings from 2018 that had ended. Now, I sell use sheet music and books. I am NOT an expert seller and just a beginner. But I've had this Ebay account for 16 months and only sold maybe 5 or 6 items? This year, 0 items? And I know I'm not perfect at this, but it seems so slow and I have many items at a base price where with fees, I would make almost nothing if I went lower. 

I donno if it's me, but nothing's selling and I am up to 'here' with it.

Help me, please!!

Thanks.

Message 1 of 71
latest reply
70 REPLIES 70

Re: Help! Nothing I have up is selling!!

Thanks for all of this helpful information. I am at a loss then at what to do. Toss all of my books for sale in a dumpster? Find something else to sell? Or keep trying and give them away for about free? I don't know what to do. Help?
Message 31 of 71
latest reply

What I would do is research the sold prices and whether or not they're actually selling, like fashionu4euuh said.  Once you've determined that, that will probably give you a better idea of what will be the best option.

When purchasing future inventory, it's always a good idea to look at the Sold section to see a) whether or not this particular item is selling, and b) what price it's selling for.  If there are 90 listed for sale but only 3 have sold in the past three months, it's probably not worth spending the money on unless you want to have it sitting around for a long time, for example.  But if it seems to be selling on a regular basis at a price that would earn you a decent profit, it's probably worth investing in.  You make your profits when you buy, not when you sell.  For example, a couple of years ago I bought a set of three Christmas ornaments from a church rummage sale for a total of 75 cents.  I held onto them until that Christmas and then listed them for $8 each and ended up getting $24 total for something that only cost me 75 cents.  That's a worthwhile investment.  Something that costs $5 to buy and then only sells for $8?  Probably not worth it.

It's all about sourcing wisely, seeing what is selling and for what prices and then using that as a basis to decide what is worth getting and what isn't.

Message 32 of 71
latest reply

I looked at your items. Seriously speaking , you need to try a different product line. Many of your items are found in book nooks that sell for practically nothing. I'm not knocking what you are trying to sell but you need to upgrade your inventory to something that has a chance to sell. Keep your current items an add more desirable items !! There are many,many items that will sell and trying anything is better than keeping the same !! And LOOKING at PAST SALE PRICES of a PRODUCT is a BOGUS SYSTEM !! What ( 1 ) person PAID yesterday may not be what ( 1 ) person will pay for it TOMORROW !! Don't Worry Be Happy 😄

Message 33 of 71
latest reply

Thanks for the feedback. Any thoughts on what I can sell? I don't know clothing or tech well enough to sell it. I have been wanting to branch into a different niche, but I donno how or what. Please, help?
Message 34 of 71
latest reply

I did concider doing a lot. Maybe when these expire, I will bunch them together.
Message 35 of 71
latest reply

I'd buy stuff on Ebay if there was anything worth buying. Its so barren of any unique, interesting product that I pretty much just have given up

Message 36 of 71
latest reply

Oh, it is easy to move it there. As you said, no sales... I mean 1 a month and things would expire on ebay and still be there and trying to manage that outside my software was just getting to be tedious as it doesn't support Bonanza.... blech... I sold something on Bonanza that was in a box to send to auction and I had forgotten it was even listed anywhere and that was when I said, enough of that 🙂
Message 37 of 71
latest reply

Sheet music has 411,000+ items listed.
Books have 18 million listings in fiction and non-fiction.
You have 20 items combined amount those two categories.
You tell me why you're not selling anything.
Message 38 of 71
latest reply

@thefieryfairy wrote:

So, this year I decided to reopen shop after Ebay wiped all of my listings from 2018 that had ended. Now, I sell use sheet music and books. I am NOT an expert seller and just a beginner. But I've had this Ebay account for 16 months and only sold maybe 5 or 6 items? This year, 0 items? And I know I'm not perfect at this, but it seems so slow and I have many items at a base price where with fees, I would make almost nothing if I went lower. 

I donno if it's me, but nothing's selling and I am up to 'here' with it.

Help me, please!!

Thanks.

My sales aren't so great either  so I can understand . The only advice I can offer  are on the only things that have helped me in the past . One is to diversify ,, if you really want to make money on e bay  then try expanding on the types of items you sell . Secondly  try the promotions ,, they cost a bit  but I've noticed  they do help . Good luck  - tulips 

Message 39 of 71
latest reply

I see 9 listings. Perhaps you sold a few things. What I am seeing is that your prices are very high. I am a musician and we (mostly are not Adele $$$) can't pay 15 bucks plus shipping for a music book.
Message 40 of 71
latest reply

"Sheet music, cookbooks" Clogs what? Where are you, I will drive there! Cookbooks are incredibly collectible..are you kidding me? And I have shelves of sheet music, and music books and 3 keyboards and a vintage piano and DH has at least 7 guitars (I've lost count)....

Long rant short, where I am, there are NO cookbooks or music books at any of our thrift shops. And we are like the thrift shop capital of the state. If not the world.
Message 41 of 71
latest reply

@thefieryfairy wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. Any thoughts on what I can sell? I don't know clothing or tech well enough to sell it. I have been wanting to branch into a different niche, but I donno how or what. Please, help?

There is a website called WatchCount.com  that shows the hot selling items on eBay. That might help give you some ideas of what to sell. I would stay away from items you are not well versed in, but hone in on what you do know. Build on your strengths. 

Message 42 of 71
latest reply

@yuzuha wrote:

@robot-hands wrote:

Sheet music, cookbooks and C list manga.

That's what clogs the shelves of every thrift shop.

Diversify and dump dead stock.

Actually, D.N.Angel is one probably worth hanging on to, as it was just recently announced that the author would FINALLY be continuing the series after a multi-year hiatus.  I expect to see a surge in popularity for that series and I believe it's out of print in English now.

Most, if not all B & C list manga go out and are out of print.

Tokyopop anything is good to pick up...not going to be any more of that

Message 43 of 71
latest reply

@thefieryfairy wrote:
 I have thought of selling something else. But the problem is, I don't know WHAT exactly. 

Sell what you know.

Slowly branch out as you learn other items/lines/products.

No one does this overnight and is a smash success. It takes a lot of time and a lot of knowledge. 

When I started, my weekly sales totals would be lucky if they were $50.

Now less than $250 a day is considered a failure and by the end of this year I want my daily sales to be in the $275-300 a day range.

Message 44 of 71
latest reply

@moondogblues wrote:
"Sheet music, cookbooks" Clogs what? Where are you, I will drive there! Cookbooks are incredibly collectible..are you kidding me? And I have shelves of sheet music, and music books and 3 keyboards and a vintage piano and DH has at least 7 guitars (I've lost count)....

Long rant short, where I am, there are NO cookbooks or music books at any of our thrift shops. And we are like the thrift shop capital of the state. If not the world.

Middle of Illinois.

You can't walk into a thrift store without seeing piles of the things and most shops throw out the unsold junk books every month. Cookbooks here self replicate or something. I don't think they can throw them out fast enough.

I haven't even bothered to look in the direction of the cookbook shelves (8 years or so) since I pulled the Vincent Price one out.

Honestly, I'd bet that there are no cookbooks because your thrift stores don't want them taking up valuable space, they are probably ahead of the curve....my places still hold longaberger baskets and beanie babies aside as "collectibles" even though they never sell...and I have a 30 mile radius I hit.

Message 45 of 71
latest reply