cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOW DO YOU DEAL WITH BUYER NOT READING DESCRIPTION?

I sell quite a few pairs of jeans and usually don't have much of a problem. When I list an item, I do the following

1.  Edit all photos to block out any indication of the size on the tags

2.  Put the measured size in the title

3.  In the condition description box I put in all caps PLEASE IGNORE ALL TAGS. ACUTAL MEASURED SIZE IS

I've had 3 returns since February, and each says item not as described because they looked at the tags and don't even try them on. 

I believe in the 4- or 5-day period from when I ship the item and they receive it they forget what the listing said and just assume I sent the wrong item.  I'm thinking of including a note inside the envelope reminding them to not pay attention to what the tags say.

Does anyone have a full proof way they use to get people to understand the listing short of hand delivering each package and sitting them down at the kitchen table to explain what they purchased

thanks for all help/advice

Message 1 of 49
latest reply
48 REPLIES 48

Re: HOW DO YOU DEAL WITH BUYER NOT READING DESCRIPTION?

Word!  I hate clothes shopping.  My solution is men's baggy cargo pants and knit tops, but still, even my cargo pants have a measured waist size up to 2+" different one from the other, yet they're all the same size. 🤔 

Even Levi's which tend to get cited as being 'absolutely consistent' aren't consistent - it depends upon the style, so if one sticks to the same style, it's all good.  If one doesn't, might not fit.  (I used to do alterations).

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 31 of 49
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

HOW DO YOU DEAL WITH BUYER NOT READING DESCRIPTION?

The short answer ... you can't.

amen to that.

Message 32 of 49
latest reply

Great explanation.  So, if I measure the waist at, let's say 34", should I then put in the title the equivalent of that.... for example, 34" waist might be a 14 or 16 so put the 14 or 16 in the title. I can do a search for the measurements for a particular brand and then try putting that number in..... or I can just stop selling women's jeans because my head hurts....haha!! 

Thanks

Message 33 of 49
latest reply

@hook-and-hanger wrote:

Great explanation.  So, if I measure the waist at, let's say 34", should I then put in the title the equivalent of that.... for example, 34" waist might be a 14 or 16 so put the 14 or 16 in the title. I can do a search for the measurements for a particular brand and then try putting that number in..... or I can just stop selling women's jeans because my head hurts....haha!! 

Thanks

Just list the label size In the title and where a size is required.  include your measurements in the description and item specs where measurements are asked for. Don’t put a measurement as the actual size.   I’m talking about women’s clothing.

Message 34 of 49
latest reply

What Fernwood said.  Do not put the measurements in the title at all, except in the few rare circumstances where it's on the label, as the actual size.   Only list the size in the title.  

Put your measurements in the description.   

In all honesty, yes, women's clothes sizing is complicated, but YOU are making this WAY more difficult by obscuring pics, listing measurements in the title, etc.  You should not be obscuring the size in your photos.  People want to know the size.  Yes, it's true that pre-owned clothes may not be that size anymore, that's why you list measurements in your description AND still 90% of the people won't read them & don't know their own measurements.   You can't make them read, but in your attempt to avoid confusion, you are actually making it more confusing 😀 

ETA:  And if you think this is confusing, it's really just standard, I haven't even gotten into brands that vanity size & stuff like that.   Also, be sure you know the difference between Jrs, Misses & Plus sizes. 

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 35 of 49
latest reply

@hook-and-hanger wrote:

Thanks

You know, I just re-read this.   You're still complicating it.  You do not need to do any searches, look for any equivalents or anything like that.  Do not "try" to figure out the measurement.  It's really simple, just put the size on the label, in your title & stop obscuring your photos.   That simple.  If the label says size 12, you put size 12 in the title.  If it says 2x, you put 2x.   Don't look anything up, don't go to brands webpages, just put what's on the label in the title & IS's.  That's what your buyer will shop for.   Women know what size they wear in which brand, for the most part.  

Then, if you wish to include waist & length, you can do that in the description as measurements. 

eBay Seller since 1996

Message 36 of 49
latest reply

@kensgiftshop wrote:

@hook-and-hanger 

Why do you block out the tags where they can't see what size they are?

So he can use the same picture to represent different (similar) jeans of  a different size ... which he shouldn't be doing. 

Smoke From A Distant Fire - Sanford Townsend Band
Message 37 of 49
latest reply

What Fernwood said.  Do not put the measurements in the title at all, except in the few rare circumstances where it's on the label, as the actual size.   Only list the size in the title.  

@simply-the-best-for-you@fern*wood 

^^^ This is what I try to do. Note, @hook-and-hanger, it's not foolproof. I have a Return open now (thankfully, remorse) where the buyer's note in the case says, "the tag size says 27 but they are more like a 25... definitely too small".

Check out #334116003895. I had 27 x 33 in the title, but also offer 9-point actual measurements in my description. 😕

Message 38 of 49
latest reply

@mtgraves7984 wrote:

@simply-the-best-for-you@fern*wood 

^^^ This is what I try to do. Note, @hook-and-hanger, it's not foolproof. I have a Return open now (thankfully, remorse) where the buyer's note in the case says, "the tag size says 27 but they are more like a 25... definitely too small".

Check out #334116003895. I had 27 x 33 in the title, but also offer 9-point actual measurements in my description. 😕

It still happens, but OP is making it much harder than it is.  Like I said & you well know, we can't get them to read.   But truth is that most people (myself included) don't know their measurements.  ALSO, complicating it, some brands publish the measurements of the garment, while others publish the measurements of the BODY it's meant to fit LOL.  

eBay Seller since 1996

Message 39 of 49
latest reply

1. Edit all photos to block out any indication of the size on the tags

Don't.

2. Put the measured size in the title

Don't

Just put the measurements in the description.

Any woman should have learned by the age of 14 that the size has no relationship to the measurements.

If you say the manufacturer's size is "2" and later say the bust is "36"  you have provided all the information she needs. Every maker has different sizing, some of it related to price.

You could also print out a copy of the listing and include that in your package. Outside the plastic or tissue wrapping the garment to prevent ink transfer.

Message 40 of 49
latest reply

I dont know how to deal with buyers who refuse to read listing titles and item descriptions.

the most ridiculous thing ever happened to me was  one buyer mistook a 2011 calendar for 2022 calendar,  The first  a few words of my listing title was  "2011 wall calendar...."  and the photos also showed Year 2011. --she bought it and returned it, she wrote to me "I want a 2022 new calendar, I dont want an old 2011 calendar"

I can never stop people  from messaging me & asking for lower prices even I wrote "Best offers are not acceptable" in my "Item descriptions" --these people make me nervous,  if they dont read descriptions or read but disrespect my wishes, there is a great potential  that the deal would go wrong.

Message 41 of 49
latest reply

@nidsel wrote:

I dont know how to deal with buyers who refuse to read listing titles and item descriptions.

the most ridiculous thing ever happened to me was  one buyer mistook a 2011 calendar for 2022 calendar,  The first  a few words of my listing title was  "2011 wall calendar...."  and the photos also showed Year 2011. --she bought it and returned it, she wrote to me "I want a 2022 new calendar, I dont want an old 2011 calendar"

I can never stop people  from messaging me & asking for lower prices even I wrote "Best offers are not acceptable" in my "Item descriptions" --these people make me nervous,  if they dont read descriptions or read but disrespect my wishes, there is a great potential  that the deal would go wrong.

Yeah, there's really nothing YOU can do to make them read.  You can't control other people.  Many buyers don't read.  You'll also never stop them from making offers, regardless of what you have in your listing. 

eBay Seller since 1996

Message 42 of 49
latest reply

@hook-and-hanger wrote:

I sell quite a few pairs of jeans and usually don't have much of a problem. When I list an item, I do the following

1.  Edit all photos to block out any indication of the size on the tags

2.  Put the measured size in the title

3.  In the condition description box I put in all caps PLEASE IGNORE ALL TAGS. ACUTAL MEASURED SIZE IS

I've had 3 returns since February, and each says item not as described because they looked at the tags and don't even try them on. 

I believe in the 4- or 5-day period from when I ship the item and they receive it they forget what the listing said and just assume I sent the wrong item.  I'm thinking of including a note inside the envelope reminding them to not pay attention to what the tags say.

Does anyone have a full proof way they use to get people to understand the listing short of hand delivering each package and sitting them down at the kitchen table to explain what they purchased

You currently have Levi's listed where the title and item specifics say 38x29 but the picture clearly shows the Levi's a tag that says 38x30. 

You did not do either 1) or 3) for that listing. 

I have no idea what my measurements are, and I buy my Levi's based on what the Levi's says the size is. You may think you are helping by putting a different size than Levi's gives them, but for me your listing is misleading. 

Message 43 of 49
latest reply

I sold  a fair number of  denims in my eBay sell days.  Very few return  on any of the 1665 I shipped during my tenure as an eBay seller

In my research of clothing  I found thee are not any universal size standards.  I know not  all same sized labeled its fit the  same.  All body shapes are not the  same..  In the 7 for All Mankind jeans  the number 36 is NOT a waist size but rather these low rise jeans sits on wears hips

But  consumers don't know this and the now  what  label size  of a given brand works for them.

I provided a pic of the size label - I'm not  smarter than the manufacturer for certain.  I also proved a lot of dimensions  - at least theses -  waist or rip band dimension, front rise,  ID  jeans as low rise, extra low rise, high rise, stand rise, of course in seam measurement, - thigh dimensions at 3" below the crotch in my pictures.  With each measurement provided described  from what  point to what point the dimensions were taken.

One more thin quirk thing I have found is that Levi's (a brand I wear al of)  If the  same style # is made in Mexico the fit different (snugger) than those style # made else where .

Same situation goes  with other clothing and foot wear items.   Especially with those   P S M L XL etc size labels

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 44 of 49
latest reply

Couple more things to add on  Denims

1.  Opening o at the leg bottom ( boot wearers like that)

2.  Belt loop opening and number of belts loops - they are either 7 or 5 - 5 tend to not fit so  nice with a belt and are found on less expensive(quality) brands

PS:  Worn denims my whole life, live in Texas where they starch denims and the better look right

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 45 of 49
latest reply