cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HERE WE GO AGAIN. Item specifics missing and wrong

Check your listings.  I ALWAYS make sure I fill in all of my item specifics.  As we know Ebay programmers attempted a disastrous migration of item specifics .. Since then every other week there are issues. 

I just looked at my ebay page and out of 650 listings that ebay says I have.  Ebay has flagged 446 of the listings and put them in  purgatory.

I have been going through one by one , most of the item specifics that ebay claim I haven't filled out. Actually are filled out.  But ebay changed the prefilled option..

example.

shoes..  ebay used to have one of the styles as  "pumps,classics"

now the drop down options have replaced that with "pump"

however, ebay did not migrate the listings that has previously selected pumps classics. over to pump.. so now when buyers search using the left hand filters.. if they select pump.. your listing will not show up.. it is thrown into the unspecified category!..

Um. I'm pis***

Can other people check their listings and let me know if ebay has flagged most of your listings also..  thus making them less searchable and discoverable by buyers. 

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

head_on_table.gif

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 2 of 35
latest reply

Yeah they don't migrate they just light the baby on fire then throw it out with the bath water.  I have a bunch that need fixing.  I should send eBay a bill for my time for the problems they like to create.  On site IT people are worth quite a bit these days.

Message 3 of 35
latest reply

shouldn't ebay have announced to sellers that their changes are affecting all existing listings negatively! so basically.. you have to manually revise every listing.

Message 4 of 35
latest reply

I hate to say it, but this is nothing new.  Just look at their clothing screw up in October 2019.  They broke a bunch of my electronics listings when they meddled with that.  On top of that eBay expects me to fix their mistakes on my dime which is a load of 💩

Message 5 of 35
latest reply

@lasantino wrote:

Check your listings.  I ALWAYS make sure I fill in all of my item specifics.  As we know Ebay programmers attempted a disastrous migration of item specifics .. Since then every other week there are issues. 

I just looked at my ebay page and out of 650 listings that ebay says I have.  Ebay has flagged 446 of the listings and put them in  purgatory.

I have been going through one by one , most of the item specifics that ebay claim I haven't filled out. Actually are filled out.  But ebay changed the prefilled option..

example.

shoes..  ebay used to have one of the styles as  "pumps,classics"

now the drop down options have replaced that with "pump"

however, ebay did not migrate the listings that has previously selected pumps classics. over to pump.. so now when buyers search using the left hand filters.. if they select pump.. your listing will not show up.. it is thrown into the unspecified category!..

Um. I'm pis***

Can other people check their listings and let me know if ebay has flagged most of your listings also..  thus making them less searchable and discoverable by buyers. 

This is also happening to me. I have caught the problem when relisting items.

Sorta concerning when eBay tries to do a good thing and gives us 100000 free listings!!! I thank eBay for trying to do a good deed but the system needs to be able to handle it.

Hope this gets fixed.

regards

Message 6 of 35
latest reply

hi, lasan: they still have not provided my AW2000 program guy with the clean ups for the october 2019 debacle...i still have to enter custom specifics into my program to match what ebay now shows for IS. and the only way i know what they changed, is to go into ebay list page direct not using my program to see what they have changed, moved, or deleted. then keep both ebay listing page open and my program open to copy data over. yes, obviously as usual, did not notify anyone of any changes which does affect your visibility...some days just not worth it...

I ain't got the brains to make this up (Fantastic Beasts)
Message 7 of 35
latest reply

Are you sure it's not just recommending adding specifics? I had the same problem but i read the email more closely and it doesn't say required...it said recommended.  I must ignored it. Hope that helps.

Message 8 of 35
latest reply

yes, I'm talking about the recommended.  However, ebay has always said, fill out all the recommended item specifics.

So now all my listings that had the recommended specifics filled out are now being put into the not specified category for that item specific.   Which means buyers who use the left hand filters will not see my items even though I did fill out the item specific.  does this make sense.

Message 9 of 35
latest reply

What happens is that eBay tinkers with the taxonomy.  Sometimes it's adding an apostrophe or a plural, sometimes it's moving a small element.  Every time they do that, because they can't seem to grok migrating (it's a good thing they're not geese), we have to burn time fixing them all. 

I've stopped doing it - if major specifics are OK, then that's the way it is. I try to use good SEO to make up for the other stuff.  Now that I have so few items listed, though, I can go through them this time.  When I had 600, after about the third iteration after the October 2019 debacle (when they actually LOST IS's that I had fixed), I gave up and moved about half my stock elsewhere where it is all gone now.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 10 of 35
latest reply

The issue I have been having is eBay claiming I am missing item specifics on items in the eBay catalog when I am not. I have been having to remove my products from eBay's catalog in order to get the "item specifics missing" messages to go away.

This is the kind of thing that makes me nervous about managed payments. with how common these glitches/bugs/errors are, and with how it ALWAYS hurts the sellers and never eBay, It's only a matter of time before something goes wrong and sellers get screwed on payments.

Message 11 of 35
latest reply

Not really!

I never used item specifics unless specifically required by certain categories.

For most listings the requirements could be met by filling in a couple base item specifics with generic settings such as "unspecified" that are shared by all listings.

As I use GarageSale, I simply created a Applescript to change all the item specifics for me. A double-click of a Applescript app saved on the desktop and the several thousand listings and templates I had were all altered in less than two seconds.

Message 12 of 35
latest reply

@lasantino 

I've been getting a steady stream of these REQUIRE UPDATING with options that are not even close to applicable or easily confirmed. Very frustrating.  In the past when they did come up was easy in most cases to bypass. Now getting closer to impossible.

-Lotz

Message 13 of 35
latest reply

Anyone looking for a quick direct shortcut to add to sellers hub for your "problem" listings this one does the trick.

https://www.ebay.com/mys/overview

-Lotz

Message 14 of 35
latest reply

Now in clothing, some really nonsense items specifics have been moved to the "recommended" area....like "theme" and "character family"!  A normal sweater has NO character family!  I had just about ALL of my over 2000 listings filled in for the recommended specifics....now even if I add "none" in those fields, it still does not fill in the ball that says everything has been added!  UGH!!

Message 15 of 35
latest reply