cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free Returns!!!! Why would anyone ever shop at a store again?

Okay so now ebay is going to start making everyone have 30 Day FREE Returns!!!! When is this madness going to STOP?!? We ship everything with free shipping unless a buyer wants faster shipping and now we actually have to reconsider not having free shipping or opting to not be a Top Rated seller anymore due to this new policy ebay is going to put into place in May/June 2018.

Now if I were a buyer why in the heck would I ever go the stores anymore to buy anything because if I don't like what I bought I would have to jump in my car, go to the store, wait in line, and return it. Now I can sit in the comfort of my home, order something that I'm not really sure I want, have it shipped to me for free, once I get it I see ahh I don't like the color (listing stated what the color was and is correct according to the listing description), well I'll just start my FREE return, I'm going to wait 29 days to do so, I will print off the FREE Pre-Paid shipping label from my wonderful lazyboy, and wait for my refund so I can do it again!!!! 

When is this stuff going to END!!!! I think all the selling platforms have lost sight at how a return works. When you buy something from a physical store you WILL have to pay for that return if you don't like it with your time and effort of getting in your car, wasting the gas to go there, and your TIME, but now they've made it so that's not the case anymore with online shopping.

Since when is it okay for someone to have buyer remorse and not have to pay for that remorse? Why should us sellers have to pay for their remorse? We didn't make them buy anything and we clearly stated the facts on what they're buying in the listing description.

Message 1 of 82
latest reply
81 REPLIES 81

Re: Free Returns!!!! Why would anyone ever shop at a store again?

***Not responding to anyone in particular. Just using last post to reply.***

I sometimes wonder, as I read all the discussion board threads, whether one of the differences between eBay sellers (and those who are third-party sellers on other venues) and other online retail vendors is the, and I'm not sure what to call it, maybe "pride of ownership?"

• eBay sellers have chosen their inventory personally. 
  • eBay sellers have listed their items personally.
  • eBay sellers have packaged and mailed their items personally.
  • eBay sellers may have to take abuse from buyers directly--personally.
  • eBay sellers have to fund returns out of their pockets (essentially).
  • eBay sellers have to deal with negative or neutral feedback personally.

None of those things can be said about other online retailers.

• Store buyers select the merchandise.
  • Marketing staff advertises the merchandise.
  • IT staff list or create the online shopping function.
  • A warehouse employee packs and ships the merchandise.
  • Customer service reps receive customer complaints.
  • Refunds come out of the profits of a big company.
  • No one personally receives the direct criticism of negative ratings.

I just don't have thick enough skin to sell on eBay (or anywhere else). I would take each criticism personally, consider every return as an insult, be suspicious of every buyer, etc. I think my feelings are much too sensitive, or my tolerance level is too low, or any other of a myriad character faults in my nature would prohibit me from being successful as a seller.

That being said, I wonder if some sellers might find it useful to try to remove themselves from their products and their services, just to protect their egos. (And I mean "ego" in a good way--more like their self image.) "Hey. The buyer didn't like the shirt I sold him. So what?"

Message 46 of 82
latest reply

@svsurpluswrote:

@southern*sweet*teawrote:

@svsurpluswrote:

@partial*eclipsewrote:

@total.sports.llcwrote: ....if I were a buyer why in the heck would I ever go the stores anymore to buy anything because if I don't like what I bought I would have to jump in my car, go to the store, wait in line, and return it. Now I can sit in the comfort of my home, order something that I'm not really sure I want, have it shipped to me for free, once I get it I see ahh I don't like the color (listing stated what the color was and is correct according to the listing description), well I'll just start my FREE return, I'm going to wait 29 days to do so, I will print off the FREE Pre-Paid shipping label from my wonderful lazyboy, and wait for my refund so I can do it again!!!! 

That's exactly why Amazon is growing and retail stores and malls throughout the country are going out of business.    

eBay perceives Amazon as their primary role model and competition.  That's the underlying reason for many  policy changes, which are camouflaged with the phrase "buyer expectations" which actually means "what buyers get from Amazon" whether it's 3-day delivery or free 30-day returns.

Well, it is not really true at all.

Since we sell on amazon, let me tell you:

- 1. 3rd party Seller doesn't pay for shipping back in ANY case, even it is AZ claim

- 2. Amazon itself only have free returns on some stuff, not on all and will monitor your account for return rate. if you start to buy value based product , like expensive electronics and etc and returnm them for no reason, they will cut you off at no time

-3. if you look at Amazon bsuiness model, it is NOT to make money on items. They make money on SERVICES and actually lossing money on sales (ro hoovering around break in ). 

And for quite a few catagories , like business equipment for example, returns are limited, not across a board like on ebay

So do not compare two...

Are those recent changes? #1 and #2 certainly weren't like that when I sold there.

Not sure of what they have changed, but we got some returns on Amazon during last few years and never paid for shipping it back. These were remorse returns mostly. Couple of times we had AZ claims, but again, buyer shipped it himself, not via our account

Retruns are higher here, than on Amazon. I think ebay is attracting that sort of buyers which now feels empowered and think that seller will bent backward for them. In same cases it is , some is not. Depends on what you sell

We took all risky items, like macboopros and such off ebay, we are not crazy enough to sell it and get a old toshiba/compaq back with shipping paid by us both ways and lossing $1000-2000 in process...

They changed their policy late 2017, Amazon now has hassle free returns and they will provide the buyer with a pre-paid shipping label for any type of return that comes straight out of our account and the only way we can charge for that shipping label is if the return is marked "no longer needed" and we can take it out of their refund. 

Our returns are way higher on Amazon then ebay but this will now change since ebay is essentially doing the same thing as Amazon now. Expect your returns to probably double after June on ebay.

Message 47 of 82
latest reply

Exactly!!!!
Message 48 of 82
latest reply

They'll only have the chance of doubling if we decide to accept the Free Returns option. It is still an option -just like global shipping and guarenteed delivery - and we don't have to enroll in it unless we want that badge and 10% off FVFs.

Message 49 of 82
latest reply

@pburnwrote:

**Replying to no one in particular**

• I would never buy from a seller who didn't offer free returns. If I can't return an item (which I've never done, by the way), I'm just going to throw it in the trash or donate pile and never buy from that seller again. 

One point you made as a buyer really concerns me.  Do you really mean you only buy from sellers that offer free returns or do you mean sellers that have a return policy?

I wonder, since before this new TRSplus push to have free returns, I haven't seen that many sellers that offered them.  I have a return policy but was leaning toward not doing the free returns.  

Message 50 of 82
latest reply

@tofu107wrote:
people will still want to shop in a store,say if I need an item now,not 2 days delivery and I want to make sure it will work once I take it home OR I AM NOt exactly sure what I need or understand how it works and how I would like it?
I see IT engineers buying what they need at BBY ,pay and take them back to their office during work hours,ditto you would too if you cant wait.
also if there is something we are not familiar,we would like to test it,choose among color and style,kind of kicking the tires?
returning free is not exactly effortless,you may have to drop them off somewhere ,I am still waiting for a free exchange return label from a non Ebay site I made last night,I am still waiting and waiting??

Actually if the item you purchased is going USPS you don't have to go anywhere because you can print the label at home, tape the pre-paid return shipping label on your package, and stick in your mailbox and put the flag up so no there's almost absolutely no effort to do all that other then a few clicks and a small walk in your PJ's to the door. 

Message 51 of 82
latest reply

@tunicaslotwrote:

They'll only have the chance of doubling if we decide to accept the Free Returns option. It is still an option -just like global shipping and guarenteed delivery - and we don't have to enroll in it unless we want that badge and 10% off FVFs.

Or if ebay slips it into the listings in the middle of the night ..........

All good points.  I think ebay could learn some things from these smaller companies.  3 days is more than enough time to figure out if something fits, or if there is a problem with it.  There has to be a problem I believe, I don't think a buyer can return something because of fit, color variation, smell or doesn't like it.  I don't usually return things either, unless I was sent the wrong item. If it doesn't fit, I resell it.  Now we're opening the door for opportunists to buy, wear and return. They have 30 days to do it, no problem.  Sellers that sell occasion specific clothing are in trouble, Prom Dresses, Holiday Clothing, and Party Dresses will have a higher return rate.        

Message 53 of 82
latest reply

Everything I list I use 60 day free returns and have no problems at all. You have to embrace these things  , the concept of online shopping is not to make it hard for shoppers it's to make it easy so more people will buy online. Every major retailer offers free returns. Put yourself in the buyers shoes for a moment. If you made a purchase online, received the item and realized you didn't like for any reason how would you feel if you had to pay to get your money back.

This is the cost of doing business, it very rarely happens if you are doing the following:

1. Selling quality merchandise

2. Describing the product like there is no pictures

3. Posting great clear professional photos

4. Shipping fast and professionally

If you are getting a lot of returns and have to keep paying for the returns then it's not a customer problem it's a business problem. 

Another thing YOU MUST keep in mind is that you should never treat the customer like a villain when they return something. You need to treat them like gold because this is an opportunity for them to shop again with you.  

Someone returns something to me, no problem. I don't even ask questions I simply accept the return offer an apology that the product did not fit their needs and send them a 30% off coupon for anything else in my store. Customer service happens before, during and after and even during the refund time. 

Dean

Message 54 of 82
latest reply

@knotaroundyourneckwrote:

Everything I list I use 60 day free returns and have no problems at all. You have to embrace these things  , the concept of online shopping is not to make it hard for shoppers it's to make it easy so more people will buy online. Every major retailer offers free returns. Put yourself in the buyers shoes for a moment. If you made a purchase online, received the item and realized you didn't like for any reason how would you feel if you had to pay to get your money back.

This is the cost of doing business, it very rarely happens if you are doing the following:

If you are getting a lot of returns and have to keep paying for the returns then it's not a customer problem it's a business problem. 

Another thing YOU MUST keep in mind is that you should never treat the customer like a villain when they return something. You need to treat them like gold because this is an opportunity for them to shop again with you.  

Someone returns something to me, no problem. I don't even ask questions I simply accept the return offer an apology that the product did not fit their needs and send them a 30% off coupon for anything else in my store. Customer service happens before, during and after and even during the refund time. 

Dean

Everything you sell can ship cheap via first class.

Try free shipping and 60 day free returns for quality antique/vintage items and you'll change your tune.

Your reply tells me that the problem is not the customer. I just purchased a 100 lb mini electric motorcycle on Amazon and returned it because it was way smaller than my son needed. Because they are a REPUTABLE business they paid the $85.00 return shipping. 

You're operating your business in the past not the future. 

Dean

Message 56 of 82
latest reply

@mr_lincolnwrote:

@total.sports.llc  Free Returns will elimnate SNAD claims and pretty much any other type of claim except INRs ... one answer of course is to include some $$ in the sale price to cover at least a % of the return shipment in the unlikely event it occurs.  We use Calculated shipping here, collectibles can be large and heavy to ship ... so taking a $ 7 - $ 18 (or more) Free Return shipping hit is not desireable to be sure.  We recently sold a SAD Cast Iron clothes iron for about $ 15 with a coast to coast shipping cost of just over $ 20 ... with eBay & PP fees on both item and shipping the amount we pocket is like $ 10 - $ 11(this came from a lot that's already in the profit column so no "cost" included with the math in this post).  Fortunately, the buyer loved it but something like this with Free Returns would mean a loss of around $ 9 - $ 10.  We're not selling here to do that ...

In my genre, if I get SNADs, they're usually for real SNADs. (Sometimes it's a scam, like the buyer picked up on a mistake in identifying the coin, so they could file a SNAD, it's happened before). I have a disclaimer in world coin auctions that I don't read foreign languages and that items may not be identified correctly, but we did our best, and the thing in the picture is what I'm shipping.

I don't want to offer free returns. My stuff isn't things you can use and send back, I just don't want to be on the hook for all sorts of postage for things coming and going if people are going to buy my item to see if they like it, and then they don't like it or find a cheaper one and want to send it back. If the store rules are that a buyer pays for remorse returns, I can send them a label if I want to, but I don't want that to be part of the deal every transaction.

Cheers, C.

Message 57 of 82
latest reply

@total.sports.llc

@total.sports.llcwrote:

@mr_lincolnwrote:

@total.sports.llc

@total.sports.llcwrote:

Yeah we definitely know we will have to do some restructuring due to this new policy if we want to stay a Top Rated Seller it's just what has yet to be determined. 

The really sad part to this is that Sellers who have attained TRS Plus have done so by being, well Top Rated, in how they conduct their business.  For us, we could care less about the 10% FVF discount but having the TRS badge displayed on listings, in our opinion, improves sales and Buyer confidence. 

They are clueless on what motivates people ...

Actually their not that's why ebay has it set up for you to loose the badge if you don't participate. 

No, they have a manage by intimidation mentality and use negative management skills to try and motivate Sellers in to complying with their "me too" vision as to what online sales should be.   If they were truly on top of their game THEY would be the ones the other guy(s) would be trying to mimic with regard to selling online ...

They ALREADY have a Buyer's tool to get a FREE  RETURN and many Buyers use and abuse the system, its called a SNAD and they don't care what its called, they will use it.  So why punish Sellers with losing their hard earned TRS Plus Badge if they don't offer FREE returns which again, the system already has a tool for anyway?

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 58 of 82
latest reply

@knotaroundyourneckwrote:

Dean

The reason stores have free returns is because it doesn't cost them shipping and processing time to get it to the buyer, the buyer drives there, walks the isle, picks up their item, goes through the checkout, brings it home, opens it at home or doesn't, besides they don't want it anymore, gets in vehicle, drives back to the store, stands in line again, and finally gets their refund. See the effort, time, and cost for the buyer and do you see how that didn't cost the store anything?

I probably buy 95% of my non grocery type stuff online so I've been on the other the buyer side more than once and I have purchased something by mistake or wasn't something I really liked once I got it but I have NEVER expected the seller to have to pay for me to ship it back because why should they? I made the mistake or I really just didn't like it, it wasn't something the seller did and they shouldn't have to pay for me changing my mind or my ordering error. It's like walking into Walmart with something you bought from there and expecting them to pay for your gas because you had to come back and return the item, that's kind of what it's like when you send things with free shipping like we do, we're not getting our gas money back for bringing it to them and then we have to pay for their gas to bring it to us.

When someone returns something to us we are respectful and take the necessary steps to figure out how to handle the return we never deny someone that received something damaged, never delivered, or we sent the wrong, I'm only talking about ordered wrong, not what they thought it would be so on so forth, the buyer issue returns. 

Btw if you have 60 returns I would love to know what you sell

Message 59 of 82
latest reply

@svsurpluswrote:

Retruns are higher here, than on Amazon. I think ebay is attracting that sort of buyers which now feels empowered and think that seller will bent backward for them. In same cases it is , some is not. Depends on what you sell

Every site has its profile of buyers.  eBay attracts bargain hunters, penny pinchers, and scavengers.  Since every dime matters to these types of buyers, returns are going to be higher if they don't feel that they get bottom dollar pricing, and these types of buyers are also more likely to manipulate the system to save money whereever they can (including abusing the MBG).

Message 60 of 82
latest reply