cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free Returns!!!! Why would anyone ever shop at a store again?

Okay so now ebay is going to start making everyone have 30 Day FREE Returns!!!! When is this madness going to STOP?!? We ship everything with free shipping unless a buyer wants faster shipping and now we actually have to reconsider not having free shipping or opting to not be a Top Rated seller anymore due to this new policy ebay is going to put into place in May/June 2018.

Now if I were a buyer why in the heck would I ever go the stores anymore to buy anything because if I don't like what I bought I would have to jump in my car, go to the store, wait in line, and return it. Now I can sit in the comfort of my home, order something that I'm not really sure I want, have it shipped to me for free, once I get it I see ahh I don't like the color (listing stated what the color was and is correct according to the listing description), well I'll just start my FREE return, I'm going to wait 29 days to do so, I will print off the FREE Pre-Paid shipping label from my wonderful lazyboy, and wait for my refund so I can do it again!!!! 

When is this stuff going to END!!!! I think all the selling platforms have lost sight at how a return works. When you buy something from a physical store you WILL have to pay for that return if you don't like it with your time and effort of getting in your car, wasting the gas to go there, and your TIME, but now they've made it so that's not the case anymore with online shopping.

Since when is it okay for someone to have buyer remorse and not have to pay for that remorse? Why should us sellers have to pay for their remorse? We didn't make them buy anything and we clearly stated the facts on what they're buying in the listing description.

Message 1 of 82
latest reply
81 REPLIES 81

Re: Free Returns!!!! Why would anyone ever shop at a store again?

@pburnwrote:

**Replying to no one in particular**

I'm a buyer only. I have been a member since November of 1998. I do not purport to be typical of an eBay buyer; however, as I read this thread, some things occur to me.

• eBay is the best place for me to find gently used items, unique items, bizarre items, items on the dark side of macabre, and orchids.
  • I've virtually always been pleased with my purchases and have had neither conflicts with nor disappointments in any sellers.
  • I have never paid any attention to a TRS badge. In fact, I think they're kind of hokey. As a buyer, I have no idea how sellers get them, and I don't really care.
  • I would never buy from a seller who didn't offer free returns. If I can't return an item (which I've never done, by the way), I'm just going to throw it in the trash or donate pile and never buy from that seller again. 
  • I have rarely, if ever, found a new, currently marketed item on eBay that was less expensive than I could find it elsewhere online or even in bricks-and-mortar stores. eBay shops selling brand new, current items are almost always higher than their competition for things I'm shopping for. 

This might be my favorite online-retailer story:  Before Christmas, I ordered some latte bowls from an online retailer. In the hustle and bustle of the season, I didn't get around to opening the box until March--probably four months after my purchase. Several of the bowls were broken. I emailed the retailer just to let them know they may want to up their game in the packaging department. I didn't ask for a refund or a replacement or any kind of consideration. They emailed back the same day to say they had credited back my debit card and apologized for the inconvenience. (By that time, the bowls were out of stock.)

For better or worse, this is what consumers have come to expect from an online retailer. 

These are just some of my thoughts as a buyer. I'd be interested the perspectives of other buyers.

Thank you for your input but you're an exception to the rule most buyers aren't like you sadly.

In the case of your broken dishes we probably would've refunded you also.

We are extremely fair with our buyers if something is damaged, if our listing is truly incorrect, or something is truly lost/broke during shipping we always do free returns/exchanges/refunds I'm only talking about the large number of buyers that change their mind or have buyer remorse, they're the ones that are going to hurt out business. 90% of our returns across the board are buyer remorse, purchased the wrong item, or just plain don't really want it anymorse, those used to not cost us anything because we would get our shipping back with the re-stock fee which varied item to item but we won't have that option anymore and we're going to have to probably pay for them to send it back to us. 

Message 31 of 82
latest reply

people will still want to shop in a store,say if I need an item now,not 2 days delivery and I want to make sure it will work once I take it home OR I AM NOt exactly sure what I need or understand how it works and how I would like it?
I see IT engineers buying what they need at BBY ,pay and take them back to their office during work hours,ditto you would too if you cant wait.
also if there is something we are not familiar,we would like to test it,choose among color and style,kind of kicking the tires?
returning free is not exactly effortless,you may have to drop them off somewhere ,I am still waiting for a free exchange return label from a non Ebay site I made last night,I am still waiting and waiting??
Put lime in the coconut and call me in the morning !
Message 32 of 82
latest reply

@partial*eclipsewrote:

@total.sports.llcwrote: ....if I were a buyer why in the heck would I ever go the stores anymore to buy anything because if I don't like what I bought I would have to jump in my car, go to the store, wait in line, and return it. Now I can sit in the comfort of my home, order something that I'm not really sure I want, have it shipped to me for free, once I get it I see ahh I don't like the color (listing stated what the color was and is correct according to the listing description), well I'll just start my FREE return, I'm going to wait 29 days to do so, I will print off the FREE Pre-Paid shipping label from my wonderful lazyboy, and wait for my refund so I can do it again!!!! 

That's exactly why Amazon is growing and retail stores and malls throughout the country are going out of business.    

eBay perceives Amazon as their primary role model and competition.  That's the underlying reason for many  policy changes, which are camouflaged with the phrase "buyer expectations" which actually means "what buyers get from Amazon" whether it's 3-day delivery or free 30-day returns.

Well, it is not really true at all.

Since we sell on amazon, let me tell you:

- 1. 3rd party Seller doesn't pay for shipping back in ANY case, even it is AZ claim

- 2. Amazon itself only have free returns on some stuff, not on all and will monitor your account for return rate. if you start to buy value based product , like expensive electronics and etc and returnm them for no reason, they will cut you off at no time

-3. if you look at Amazon bsuiness model, it is NOT to make money on items. They make money on SERVICES and actually lossing money on sales (ro hoovering around break in ). 

And for quite a few catagories , like business equipment for example, returns are limited, not across a board like on ebay

So do not compare two...

Message 33 of 82
latest reply

@tweetystwadeswrote:

Yes, the handmade stuff is over done. There is only one other site similar to ebay and that is Bnz, and I don't know why they don't do well. Have not had 1 sale there in  2 years.  There are a few clothing apps popping up. One is mostly about socializing and people just taking pics of themselves wearing the clothing, no sales there either.  The other is mostly used stuff, and no one wants to pay for brand new items, my offers are aways $5-$8. I can't sell something for less than I paid for it.  I think there is so much competition, people have so many more options than ebay. I said this before, if ebay put more restrictions on the scammer's instead of enforcing so many other rules, ebay would be a more pleasant place to shop.  The Top Rated + sellers should be rewarded, all we get are more rules inflicted on us that hurt our business.  Oh, and that measly 10%, which I will now lose because I can't offer free returns.  That is my rant for the day. 

Yes we might too we're still in the discussion stages on how we're going to handle the new policies but we'll most likely do what ebay says just like we do with Amazon but we'll probably have to up our prices and or do away with free shipping.

The platform I am working on wasn't/isn't going to be just clothes it's going to be anything handmade so anything from jewelry to furniture. 

Message 34 of 82
latest reply

@total.sports.llcwrote:
Yes it is because the buyer looks for that on listings, we've been tracking it for years now, and on the rare occation where we lost that badge our sales dropped dramatically. ebay is playing us just like Amazon does now.

With all due respect, I understand that this badge may mean a lot to sellers, but it may make you feel better to know that the badge doesn't really mean all that much to all buyers as some feel, as threads and posts attest to, that you may have no greater chance of a successful transaction with a TRS than you might have with a complete newbie.  No offense intended.  There were recent threads by well known, highly respected sellers who outlined their history of recent buying transactions, and to say the experiences were not good is an understatement.

I'm a buyer.

Message 35 of 82
latest reply

@svsurpluswrote:

@partial*eclipsewrote:

@total.sports.llcwrote: ....if I were a buyer why in the heck would I ever go the stores anymore to buy anything because if I don't like what I bought I would have to jump in my car, go to the store, wait in line, and return it. Now I can sit in the comfort of my home, order something that I'm not really sure I want, have it shipped to me for free, once I get it I see ahh I don't like the color (listing stated what the color was and is correct according to the listing description), well I'll just start my FREE return, I'm going to wait 29 days to do so, I will print off the FREE Pre-Paid shipping label from my wonderful lazyboy, and wait for my refund so I can do it again!!!! 

That's exactly why Amazon is growing and retail stores and malls throughout the country are going out of business.    

eBay perceives Amazon as their primary role model and competition.  That's the underlying reason for many  policy changes, which are camouflaged with the phrase "buyer expectations" which actually means "what buyers get from Amazon" whether it's 3-day delivery or free 30-day returns.

- 1. 3rd party Seller doesn't pay for shipping back in ANY case, even it is AZ claim

- 2. Amazon itself only have free returns on some stuff, not on all and will monitor your account for return rate. if you start to buy value based product , like expensive electronics and etc and returnm them for no reason, they will cut you off at no time

-3. if you look at Amazon bsuiness model, it is NOT to make money on items. They make money on SERVICES and actually lossing money on sales (ro hoovering around break in ). 

And for quite a few catagories , like business equipment for example, returns are limited, not across a board like on ebay

So do not compare two...

Are those recent changes? #1 and #2 certainly weren't like that when I sold there.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 36 of 82
latest reply

@total.sports.llcwrote:

@pburnwrote:

**Replying to no one in particular**

I'm a buyer only. I have been a member since November of 1998. I do not purport to be typical of an eBay buyer; however, as I read this thread, some things occur to me.

• eBay is the best place for me to find gently used items, unique items, bizarre items, items on the dark side of macabre, and orchids.
  • I've virtually always been pleased with my purchases and have had neither conflicts with nor disappointments in any sellers.
  • I have never paid any attention to a TRS badge. In fact, I think they're kind of hokey. As a buyer, I have no idea how sellers get them, and I don't really care.
  • I would never buy from a seller who didn't offer free returns. If I can't return an item (which I've never done, by the way), I'm just going to throw it in the trash or donate pile and never buy from that seller again. 
  • I have rarely, if ever, found a new, currently marketed item on eBay that was less expensive than I could find it elsewhere online or even in bricks-and-mortar stores. eBay shops selling brand new, current items are almost always higher than their competition for things I'm shopping for. 

This might be my favorite online-retailer story:  Before Christmas, I ordered some latte bowls from an online retailer. In the hustle and bustle of the season, I didn't get around to opening the box until March--probably four months after my purchase. Several of the bowls were broken. I emailed the retailer just to let them know they may want to up their game in the packaging department. I didn't ask for a refund or a replacement or any kind of consideration. They emailed back the same day to say they had credited back my debit card and apologized for the inconvenience. (By that time, the bowls were out of stock.)

For better or worse, this is what consumers have come to expect from an online retailer. 

These are just some of my thoughts as a buyer. I'd be interested the perspectives of other buyers.

Thank you for your input but you're an exception to the rule most buyers aren't like you sadly.

In the case of your broken dishes we probably would've refunded you also.

We are extremely fair with our buyers if something is damaged, if our listing is truly incorrect, or something is truly lost/broke during shipping we always do free returns/exchanges/refunds I'm only talking about the large number of buyers that change their mind or have buyer remorse, they're the ones that are going to hurt out business. 90% of our returns across the board are buyer remorse, purchased the wrong item, or just plain don't really want it anymorse, those used to not cost us anything because we would get our shipping back with the re-stock fee which varied item to item but we won't have that option anymore and we're going to have to probably pay for them to send it back to us. 

Why? After sitting there for 4 months without opening it, anything could have happened to it.

If they had complained within 30 days(a week would be better), fine - but 4 months?  No.

@southern*sweet*teawrote:

@svsurpluswrote:

@partial*eclipsewrote:

So do not compare two...

Are those recent changes? #1 and #2 certainly weren't like that when I sold there.

Not sure of what they have changed, but we got some returns on Amazon during last few years and never paid for shipping it back. These were remorse returns mostly. Couple of times we had AZ claims, but again, buyer shipped it himself, not via our account

Retruns are higher here, than on Amazon. I think ebay is attracting that sort of buyers which now feels empowered and think that seller will bent backward for them. In same cases it is , some is not. Depends on what you sell

We took all risky items, like macboopros and such off ebay, we are not crazy enough to sell it and get a old toshiba/compaq back with shipping paid by us both ways and lossing $1000-2000 in process...

Message 38 of 82
latest reply

@castlemagicmemorieswrote:

@total.sports.llcwrote:
Yes it is because the buyer looks for that on listings, we've been tracking it for years now, and on the rare occation where we lost that badge our sales dropped dramatically. ebay is playing us just like Amazon does now.

With all due respect, I understand that this badge may mean a lot to sellers, but it may make you feel better to know that the badge doesn't really mean all that much to all buyers as some feel, as threads and posts attest to, that you may have no greater chance of a successful transaction with a TRS than you might have with a complete newbie.  No offense intended.  There were recent threads by well known, highly respected sellers who outlined their history of recent buying transactions, and to say the experiences were not good is an understatement.

I'm a buyer.

It's makes me feel a little better, I'm afraid of losing it every year because of changes. It looks like this is the year, can't do it with clothing.  Not trying to disrespect the other posting, when they say to take better pics and describe items more accurately. That makes no difference, BECAUSE PEOPLE DON'T  READ ANYMORE!!. They look at a pic and click "buy". That's all they want to do, and will now take zero responsibility for it because of free returns.   

Message 39 of 82
latest reply

@d-k_treasureswrote:

Why? After sitting there for 4 months without opening it, anything could have happened to it.

If they had complained within 30 days(a week would be better), fine - but 4 months?  No.

And that's one of the differences. You have made my case (on that point, anyway) for me.

Message 40 of 82
latest reply

@d-k_treasureswrote:

And therein lies the rub.
Message 41 of 82
latest reply

@castlemagicmemorieswrote:

@total.sports.llcwrote:

I'm a buyer.

Just want to add that yes, there were TRS sellers in the mix~and experiences ran the gamut of not as described, wrong item sent, improper packing, broken items, and abusive and hostile communication, up to and including false retaliatory buyer feedback posted by the seller, in response to an honest neg posted by the buyer, which they then got removed.  

Message 42 of 82
latest reply

I think everyone is getting concerned when there may be less to be concerned about - because each of your competitors are facing the same dilemma. I know of a couple of clothing sellers now who offer free returns - it does seem their sales have gone up a bit - but they've said if they get more than X amt of returns - they'll drop out of the program. 

They are trying it but that doesn't mean they'll stick to it. I am surprised tho that another site - that only offers 3 days to return an item has taken off and is doing as well as it is after being fed the line from many of the venues that buyers want a long return policy. Personally - if I can't chaeck out an item for fit, damage ect within a week - then it's on me. And believe me - I've bought things and not tried them on right away - pulled them out and they run differently. I just give the item away or sell it on Ebay.

Message 43 of 82
latest reply

@svsurpluswrote:

@partial*eclipsewrote:

So do not compare two...

Well we sell on Amazon also have for years and yes we DO pay for "Hassle Free" returns no matter the reason they are returning the item, started in Decemeber of 2017 I think,  we can take out the shipping cost and charge a restock fee on their refund but only if the item is returned as "no longer needed" but 9 times out of 10 the buyer doesn't mark it that way because they know Amazon will in fact refund them in full if it's not marked as "no longer needed". Yes you can start a Safe-T claim on a situation where you think it truly was a "no longer needed" return but you won't win unless you have pictures and or emails stating that the buyer is truly sending the item back as "no longer needed". 

Message 44 of 82
latest reply

@southern*sweet*teawrote:

@svsurpluswrote:

@partial*eclipsewrote:

So do not compare two...

Yes they changed their returns late 2017 that they automatically accept returns that fall under their return policies and give the buyer a pre-paid shipping label that the cost taken out of our account and if it's not a certain type of return like "no longer needed" the seller will have to eat the pre-paid shipping label because Amazon will automatically refund the buyer after a certain amount of days that the return package was marked as delivered to the seller...it's a joke as ebay is going to be doing.

Message 45 of 82
latest reply