cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free Returns!!!! Why would anyone ever shop at a store again?

Okay so now ebay is going to start making everyone have 30 Day FREE Returns!!!! When is this madness going to STOP?!? We ship everything with free shipping unless a buyer wants faster shipping and now we actually have to reconsider not having free shipping or opting to not be a Top Rated seller anymore due to this new policy ebay is going to put into place in May/June 2018.

Now if I were a buyer why in the heck would I ever go the stores anymore to buy anything because if I don't like what I bought I would have to jump in my car, go to the store, wait in line, and return it. Now I can sit in the comfort of my home, order something that I'm not really sure I want, have it shipped to me for free, once I get it I see ahh I don't like the color (listing stated what the color was and is correct according to the listing description), well I'll just start my FREE return, I'm going to wait 29 days to do so, I will print off the FREE Pre-Paid shipping label from my wonderful lazyboy, and wait for my refund so I can do it again!!!! 

When is this stuff going to END!!!! I think all the selling platforms have lost sight at how a return works. When you buy something from a physical store you WILL have to pay for that return if you don't like it with your time and effort of getting in your car, wasting the gas to go there, and your TIME, but now they've made it so that's not the case anymore with online shopping.

Since when is it okay for someone to have buyer remorse and not have to pay for that remorse? Why should us sellers have to pay for their remorse? We didn't make them buy anything and we clearly stated the facts on what they're buying in the listing description.

Message 1 of 82
latest reply
81 REPLIES 81

Re: Free Returns!!!! Why would anyone ever shop at a store again?

@orangehound wrote:

@retrose1wrote:

I'm not listing anything high dollar or high risk on ebay anymore.  And that is ebay's loss.  I happily take returns where I do sell my vintage and have very few problems because the site expects the buyer and sellers to be reasonably responsible about conducting business.

We've had to do the same thing.  We have had to start listing these types of items on other platforms:

1. Items that are high risk for fraud/theft (e.g., iPads)
  2. Items that have high dollar values (unless local pick-up/pay) ... generally only listing items under $200.
  3. And, now, we will have to stop listing on eBay any item that has high return rates in order to avoid eBay penalizing us.

It seems that eBay is out of touch with sellers.  They can't seem to understand that as sellers we do not have access to the same low-cost shipping system that Amazon, Walmart, Target, etc. enjoy (both for outbound and returns) ... and no matter how much of a track record we might establish as trustworthy & honest sellers, a brand new buyer with a disposable email address will always be trusted more by eBay.

Sad.

I don't believe that ebay is out of touch with sellers - I think ebay keeps very close tabs on sellers.  And i also believe that ebay has come to realize that there are plenty of sellers that will jump through every hoop ebay sets out and even though they know the updates and announcements are nothing more than horse hockey, they will continue to do what ebay wants them to because they believe that ebay is the only place for them to make money at.

I think that this is why ebay has set the place up so that the buyers can scam at will while the sellers are the ones paying for everything - the sellers are willing to put up with it.  I believe that if enough sellers do not do what ebay wants them to, ebay will back away from the direction it continues to go.

I remember when the defect system was put into place and sellers were getting booted and leaving in large numbers because of it.  Other sites grew and within a year the defect system had most of it's requirements lowered.  I remember when ebay pushed free shipping as the 'industry standard' and offered a lot of perks to get sellers to conform and a large number of sellers didn't and eventually ebay backed away from it onto something else.

Back in the 40s and 50s some of the high end stores in our area allowed buyers to take merchandise home on approval and the store would take back the items the customer didn't want and charge them for what they kept.  After discovering rampant abuses being made - they put a stop to that and switched over to buyer pays and had to return it themselves if it didn't work for them.  Every now and then stores will come up with a 'new' idea about returns and entitling the buyers in order to make sales, but they all learn after massive losses that it just isn't that good of an idea.

(*Bleep*)
Message 76 of 82
latest reply

@currencyoftime wrote:

Admittedly I did not read all of the posts before me so someone may have mentioned this....my thoughts about the 30 day free returns are what the stores have run into and have begun to really reign in abusers of store return policies.  There are people on lists that cannot return items in stores after so many returns. (Whatever their magic number is).   I have always wondered what could cause someone to return so many items and I think I have the answer now that I am selling on Ebay.    They buy things with a mind to sell it, list it, if it does not sell, return it to the store with no money burden on their part.

Do you think this will happen with predatory sellers?  See your item lower than what they think they can sell it for, buy it from you, list it, it does not sell, return it within the 30 day window.  OR video games...play them for 28 days, return them within the 30. An event you need the formal dress, buy it, wear it, return it within the 30 day window.

I think of these things, and I wonder just how many people like that are out there.   How many of you have had these experiences?

Yes, I mentioned this earlier. The sellers of event specific clothing are going to be in trouble, Proms, Holiday and Party clothing.

Years ago I use to work with a women(she was also a friend). She would wear a dress to work, and I would notice it was new and compliment her. I noticed she would wear that same dress 3 or 4 times withing 2-3 weeks. Then I would never see the dress again. This happened several times.  One day I asked about a specific dress and why she didn't wear it anymore, she said "oh it ripped, so I returned it". 

Another co working mentioned it to me one day, because she noticed the same thing I did. We both came to the same conclusion, she's buying wearing 3 or 4 times and returning. This was over 20 years ago, so I can just imagine what goes on now.   

Message 77 of 82
latest reply

Many retail stores are going out of business because they have been bought by venture capital/corporate raider companies and loaded up with debt to the point where they had to declare bankruptcy. It happened to my Dad's Engineering company. They were bought, stripped down, stole the pension and danced away. Fortunately the senior employees knew enough to sue and got part of their pensions back.

There is a lot of sleight of hand going on behind the scenes in corporate America. Things aren't always ethical and things happen for reasons other than what show on the surface.

Message 78 of 82
latest reply

Yep no more "free rental" of big screen TVs for the Superbowl etc

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 79 of 82
latest reply

@currencyoftime wrote:

Admittedly I did not read all of the posts before me so someone may have mentioned this....my thoughts about the 30 day free returns are what the stores have run into and have begun to really reign in abusers of store return policies.  There are people on lists that cannot return items in stores after so many returns. (Whatever their magic number is).   I have always wondered what could cause someone to return so many items and I think I have the answer now that I am selling on Ebay.    They buy things with a mind to sell it, list it, if it does not sell, return it to the store with no money burden on their part.

Do you think this will happen with predatory sellers?  See your item lower than what they think they can sell it for, buy it from you, list it, it does not sell, return it within the 30 day window.  OR video games...play them for 28 days, return them within the 30. An event you need the formal dress, buy it, wear it, return it within the 30 day window.

I think of these things, and I wonder just how many people like that are out there.   How many of you have had these experiences?

I work in B&M retail that allows 60-day returns and my experience is that the vast majority of people return things within just a few days of purchase when they realize that the item didn't work for them/wasn't what they wanted.  I'm sure there are some people who do that, but they are a tiny minority compared to the honest ones. 

Message 80 of 82
latest reply

Yes.   Exactly right.  The time frame to offer a return should be reasonable and maybe most sellers would take less issue with it.    If you are purchasing a new electronic item, it would be (usually) covered by manufacturer warranty.  (If the electronic item IS new, a seller should provide a gift receipt to the buyer, perhaps, so the buyer could utilize said warranty.      If it is a used item, how could anyone be responsible, 4 months down the line, when said electronic widget malfunctions.  Even B&M Stores, with loads of padding for returns and the like, do not take back a broken widget, 4 months after purchase.   Clothing items, too.   You don’t buy a dress at a yard sale, return it the following summer saying there is a stain and you want your money back.    It is exaggerated example, but it is no ridiculous than, what I read here, about the length of time returns are honored by Paypal, after a sale.   I have heard stories from people returning items to Walmart, a long time after purchase AND no receipt.   walmart takes the widget back but offers only a store credit.   Many sellers might be more apt to offer that, over a refund, too. 

When I had my B&M vintage store, I solved the problem of 'rental' returns by having a rental process for costumes.  Buyer 'buys' a 50s dress on Friday (and I know that there is a 50s show on Saturday with costume contest - because I have had dozens of rentals already for it) and then on Sunday afternoon, they come back complaining that it doesn't fit, I'd just take it back and knock off my rental cost for the refund.  Since, of course, they tried it on before they 'bought' it.

I would take what appeared to be honest returns made in a reasonable time frame.  Like the guy who happily bought a pair of sexy expensive leather pants for his wife and she came back the next day with the pants with the comment, I love him even more because he thinks I'm really this small.  She never tried them on.  I can't say no to that.

I just wish that we had the option here on ebay.

(*Bleep*)
Message 82 of 82
latest reply