cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Payment Dispute...Must Read!!!

I received my first payment dispute today, guess I should count myself lucky. Buyer said she did not recognize the transaction. It was a whopping $19.64 total. So I called the buyer at number given through eBay. I asked, very politely, for "buyer's name". She stuttered and ummm... said "buyer's name" is my dog. I cannot make this up! I said well, your dog purchased an item from me on your card and claimed she didn't recognize the charge. She said I'm so sorry, don't know what happened, yada yada. I see from reading about disputes on here that I most likely will not win, even with tracking, order details, etc. I did leave feedback for said buyer's dog. Any advice? 

Message 1 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Re: First Payment Dispute...Must Read!!!

@robbie31415 wrote:

Your first payment dispute and you handled it all wrong.

1) As @fern*wood has said that feedback left is completely a policy violation.

And 2, you should not have contacted the buyer.

You should simply have uploaded tracking details to dispute especially if your item was about to be delivered.

Well, regardless of Steps 1 and 2, hopefully it's not too late to simply upload the tracking to the dispute.

Message 16 of 33
latest reply

It surprises me that a seller who's been here since May 13, 2013, would not realize that the FB left for the buyer is against eBay rules.

If/when that buyer wakes up and realizes her options, she can ask eBay to remove that and you will most likely get a defect.  

Message 17 of 33
latest reply

It IS inappropriate! Are you also unaware that sellers are never ever allowed to leave negative FB for buyers? 

Message 18 of 33
latest reply

How does that apply to your issue being discussed here? The fact that you "do not necessarily check buyer feedback from sellers . . ." does not excuse  you from the fact that the FB you left was against eBay rules.  

Message 19 of 33
latest reply

@soh.maryl As you can see from my feedback left for buyers, I have not once left feedback for a bad buyer (until today), so no, I did not know this. In my original post I said I should count myself as lucky for not having had a payment dispute before. This statement says it all. If buyer reports it and it is removed, so be it. I will survive. But I will still fight the dispute as it is not valid.

Message 20 of 33
latest reply

You (as well as another seller) appear to be missing the point here.  Any seller who leaves any negative FB for any buyer is violating the rules as well as risking a defect if the buyer reports it.  

Message 21 of 33
latest reply

@a_c_green Thank you, I was able to include tracking info in the dispute response. Fingers crossed all will be resolved.

Message 22 of 33
latest reply

@soh.maryl Cheers to the other scofflaw on here! Living on the edge.

Message 23 of 33
latest reply

@robbie31415 wrote:

You should simply have uploaded tracking details to dispute especially if your item was about to be delivered.

Regardless of the banks decision for this type of payment dispute you would have been completely covered as long as you got delivered tracking and handled within your advertised handling time.

Yep. "Unauthorized use" chargebacks are a slam dunk in the seller's favor as long as you have the tracking.

Message 24 of 33
latest reply

@lacemaker3 Yes, I did ask her to close the dispute since her dog clearly was not the buyer of the jeans. 

Message 25 of 33
latest reply

Not exactly sure what you meant by your remark.  

No doubt you would have preferred that I not point out your error with regard to leaving negative FB for your buyer.  

The dictionary tells me that a "scofflaw" is one who disagrees with a rule or law and flaunts that attitude.

Not sure I fit the picture, but OK, thank you. 

Message 26 of 33
latest reply

IDK why you think you wouldn't have won?  I've won every single one.  There was absolutely no need to call the buyer.  All you had to do was put the tracking number into the dispute & that was it.   Provided you do that & mail to the addy eBay told you to mail to, you are 100% covered & eBay definitely DOES support the seller in these cases.  

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 27 of 33
latest reply

@itemresa wrote:

@yellow-snapdragon 

You left a false positive (a positive rating with negative comment) about the buyer and that is not allowed on eBay. Sellers are only allowed to give buyers positive or no feedback. The buyer can get your feedback and the other false postive they received removed with a simple call to customer service.

While one would think calling CS would get that feedback removed, it doesn't. Good luck to ANYONE trying to get ahold of an actual person on the phone. Good luck getting feedback removed, because it does not happen on EITHER side. It would take a buyer going to real extremes to get it removed. Most everything is handled by bots and AI. 

And 99% of buyers are unlikely to even look at their feedback. Why would they? All they can get is positive anyway. 

Message 28 of 33
latest reply

@soh.maryl wrote:

You (as well as another seller) appear to be missing the point here.  Any seller who leaves any negative FB for any buyer is violating the rules as well as risking a defect if the buyer reports it.  

If you are referring to me, I know the rules. I don't leave false positives, but I don't care that others do it. 

Those in this thread having kittens about "rules violations". perhaps some people are violating the rules. It likely will not be called out, and the seller dinged. That formula only works when eBay enforces the rules. I've had sellers do it to me because they screwed up and had to pay return shipping. eBay WILL NOT remove the false positives. I know, I reported it and went to lengths to get it removed. eBay does not care, and for now, are not worrying about enforcing rules. 

Message 29 of 33
latest reply

@yellow-snapdragon wrote:

@fern*wood Not being snarky here but I was honest in feedback, did not mention names and warned other sellers of buyer's intentions. Another seller left similar feedback for this buyer saying the buyer received the item for free and was dishonest. Buyer only has 4 feedback and 2 of them say buyer is dishonest.

@yellow-snapdragon

My guess is it wont be the last - Shipped a $300 item to a buyer who scammed us and we later saw they had a large number of false-positive feedback - On a mission to get the buyer booted, we contacted many sellers asking to report the buyer - We discovered that bare minimum 15 sellers reported this buyer in the previous 90 days and there were likely many more that had also - Fast forward many months down the road - guess what? Buyer still buying and thieving with impunity - As far as we are concerned this place does NOTHING to stop or curb this behavior - Why would they? they are shedding customers - Seems the last thing they wanna do is stop anyone who is buying a large number of items REGARDLESS of how many good sellers are getting scammed in the process, in our most humble opinion of course...

Message 30 of 33
latest reply