cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fedex overcharges, 25 of 25 shipments !

April invoice was for 25 Logitech K350 keyboards.  ALL shipped in the same Kraft bubble wrap envelope and from the same location.

Confirmed physical weight was 2lb 8oz.  Destination from Fl Keys to Wa from Tenn.  ALL shipped Fedex SmartPost.

Charged shipping weights ranged from .94lb to 39lb with most either 3 or 4lb.

Charged fuel per the Fedex fuel surcharge page were off by as much as 39%

Charged DAS fees charged on a specifically excluded zip code

Charged zone 5 rate for a dead center zone 4 address, several like this.

Charged $11 for a Mo address and several Ca under$7.

2 disputes filed 10 days apart.

1 damaged shipment claim filed.

Asked several tines for a copy of my disputes, ALWAYS denied

3 weeks later having spoken with 25 to 30 staff or supervisors and nada  !!

NO ONE will take or make any action

Ebay wants MY money but absolutely refuses to provide me any documentation, any answers to WHY and dont ever bother trying to get a return call.  2 supervisors have even refused to provide me a terms and conditions copy or web page.

Any secrets to getting any action or resolution ??

Message 1 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

@penguins_dont_fly wrote:

@d-k_treasures wrote:

@1420_gifts wrote:

I stopped using SmartPost and FedEx permanently for the same reason. Buyer charged one amount, FedEx/eBay charged me completely different, and then received an additional fee on my account for the shipment  ( I know how to weigh and measure a package, and what the FedEx guidelines are ! )

Called Ebay, they said to contact FedEx. Called FedEx, they said the account used to purchase the label is owned by eBay, so call eBay, vicious circle going nowhere, no resolution.

There is a FaceBook page about FedEx SmartPost and the posts say it all.

How FedEx doesn't know what it costs them to ship a package from point A to point B after 4 decades in business is ridiculous......

Fed Ex bills on the first scan, not what you enter as weights or dims. But since you can drop off a smartpost label at USPS(because a PO is usually closer than a fed ex office or drop-off point), it will then just go parcel select to the destination, and fed ex gets paid for doing absolutely nothing. And don't bother to insure using smartpost - they will pass the buck back and forth and you will never see any money.

No, you can't. SmartPost is a FedEx Service and needs to be dropped at a FedEx Center (most Walgreens are doing FedEx Drop off now, in addition to Kinko's and Regular FedEx Centers)

Some PO's allow it because they are tired of fighting about it ... but ...

USPS is the Last Mile Carrier for SmartPost ... not the Origin Carrier

That is the reason it is so cheap.

Only Return Service Smartpost Labels can be dropped at the USPS.

http://www.fedex.com/us/smart-post/returns.html

I know that you aren't supposed to - but a lot of PO's will take them - they don't even care anymore as long as they can scan the USPS tracking #.

@shaniko86 wrote:
Yep ... using a different shipper for a past shipment is such a great suggestion ... thanks (sarcastically)

I'll answer with the same one I used upthread:

Not if you don't have your own fed ex account linked to your ebay account. If you had that, you would be shipper of record and could call them out on it. Since ebay is the shipper of record, you probably won't get anywhere.

We see threads about this almost wkly........and yet the number of sellers that use Fedex can't all be having this problem............  I would question Fedex about it...... as dk says, perhaps your own account would help solve the problem........ or at least, with one, you could get the attention of someone at Fedex. 

Message 18 of 36
latest reply

@shaniko86 wrote:
Yep ... using a different shipper for a past shipment is such a great suggestion ... thanks (sarcastically)

If there were secrets, somebody would have told you. 

All we have are solutions for avoiding this problem in the future. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 19 of 36
latest reply

@shaniko86 wrote:

we are just trying to help.

I recently bought a head set on EBAY and seller gave me a fed exp return label with  a strange tracking number.

weeks gone by and there is no update to tracking.

I tried tracking it on Fed Exp said and it said it aint their tracking number,I called Ebay and they tried and failed,but they are able to send me the return shipping label so I CAN LOOK AT the tracking number.

I called Fed Exp and they tried and tried and went nowhere,but they were able to look into his address and name and found they have received a pckage from my zipcode.

Both Ebay and I emaile the seller and the next day I got my moeny back but there is no explanation what kind of tracking number it is?

I am surprised how helpful both Ebay and Fed EXP are,you may want to call Fed Exp again and find out why there is such a discrepancy on what you figure online and what actually is billed?  

Message 20 of 36
latest reply

@shaniko86 wrote:

The only "secrets" I can give you is to be persistant with eBay regarding the FedEx overcharges.  You can get the FedEx charge detail from the Orders - Shipping Labels.  Find the listings and click on the shipping cost.  It's a hot link and will pop up with what you entered when you purchased the label and then what FedEx did on their first scan.  Take screenshots and keep them, they have the info on why your charges are different.   Keep calling CS asking for assistance since the FedEx account is an eBay account.

When dropping off any FedEx packages at a dropoff site, request that they weigh each package before scanning.  Most of the time that will become the initial physical weight for the shipment and you avoid the "thumb on the scale" overweights when 2 packages manage to hit the scale together during automation.

For the future, if you choose to use SmartPost, open a FedEx account, link it to your eBay account.  The call FedEx and beg for SmartPost to be added to your FedEx account.  At that point you will be the shipper of record.

brian@ebay  Any other ideas for the OP on how to get eBay to help with FedEx errors?

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 21 of 36
latest reply

@dhbookds  Do you really think that most sellers take the time to compare the FedEx charge on the invoice a month later with the original amount?  I'll bet less than 10% go that far.

Message 22 of 36
latest reply

@dtexley3 wrote:

@dhbookds  Do you really think that most sellers take the time to compare the FedEx charge on the invoice a month later with the original amount?  I'll bet less than 10% go that far.

Actually, I have a good deal of faith in Ebay sellers to check it.......especially if they've been burnt badly.......could be wrong of course........

Message 23 of 36
latest reply

May not apply to you but what was getting us was the dimensions.  It started in January and only in soft packages like padded envelopes and poly packaging.  So we started shipping our soft goods by USPS priority mail.  Not only did the orders pick up but no more overcharges.  They don't charge the dimensional overcharges on boxes however so we still use them for big boxes.  

Message 24 of 36
latest reply

DIM's are a known.

One of 25 weighed 39lbs
24 of 25 weighed 35lbs less

dtexley3, thanks but already done and printed
Message 25 of 36
latest reply

Actual Shipping Cost: $8.59
Tracking #: 9261299998825471633771
Bill Wt: 4.0; Bill Dims: 21.0x12.0x2.0 in;
Base rate: $10.86; Fuel: $0.47; Disc: $2.74;

The bill Wt of 4.0 is incorrect. I refer you to invoice of Mar 30 and later all of which have a proper Bill Wt of 3.0 for a package weighing 2 lb 8oz.
The Fuel charge is incorrect per the FedEx fuel cost percentage page one eBay staffer sent me to. The first invoice I checked was off by 30% .

The base rate is a bigger joke.
FedEx 2018 'find zones' page shows that from zip code 37160 to zip 49686 its a zone 4 shipment. A map distance check arrives at 753 miles, clearly per the FedEx distance rate manual a zone 5 shipment. Which is correct and how was I billed ?
A zone 4 shipment would be off in base rate + fuel by -$.46 if it was zoned and weighed correctly.
A zone 5 shipment would be off in base rate + fuel by -$.49 if it was zoned and weighed correctly.
I was billed $11.33 before discount.
A correct zone (4) with a correct bill wt of 3.0 per the FedEx rate chart shows a correct value of $10.26 plus $.59 (correct fuel charge of 5.75%) equaling $10.85 minus a discount of $2.74 or a grand total of $8.11 rather than the incorrect billing of $8.59. This shows an error of $3.22 including Disc or a percentage of error of 28.5%.

I have no way of discerning the correct disc reduction as no eBay staffer can tell me how to compute that reduction of my individual shipments.

4, four, errors on one line item invoice ?? And yet I am supposed to accept that I am unable to see what is / has been disputed or any FedEx communication ?
Message 26 of 36
latest reply

@shaniko86 wrote:

April invoice was for 25 Logitech K350 keyboards.  ALL shipped in the same Kraft bubble wrap envelope and from the same location.

Confirmed physical weight was 2lb 8oz.  Destination from Fl Keys to Wa from Tenn.  ALL shipped Fedex SmartPost.

Charged shipping weights ranged from .94lb to 39lb with most either 3 or 4lb.

Charged fuel per the Fedex fuel surcharge page were off by as much as 39%

Charged DAS fees charged on a specifically excluded zip code

Charged zone 5 rate for a dead center zone 4 address, several like this.

Charged $11 for a Mo address and several Ca under$7.

2 disputes filed 10 days apart.

1 damaged shipment claim filed.

Asked several tines for a copy of my disputes, ALWAYS denied

3 weeks later having spoken with 25 to 30 staff or supervisors and nada  !!

NO ONE will take or make any action

Ebay wants MY money but absolutely refuses to provide me any documentation, any answers to WHY and dont ever bother trying to get a return call.  2 supervisors have even refused to provide me a terms and conditions copy or web page.

Over charged 2 times during the last year by as much as 50%, We no longer use Fedex.They are cheating ebay users  when you least expect it . We use to use them alot now nada. US Postal Service only. Cant take anymore hits with Fedex.

Message 27 of 36
latest reply

There are multiple threads on the shipping boards from sellers who were also overcharged and basically the only solution is to keep calling customer service. They need to open a

dispute with FedEx and if FedEx determines you were overcharged they notify eBay. 

here’s one that has responses from Trinton

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Shipping-Returns/Disputing-a-FedEx-smartpost-overcharge/m-p/27950951

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 28 of 36
latest reply

@shaniko86 wrote:

Actual Shipping Cost: $8.59
Tracking #: 9261299998825471633771
Bill Wt: 4.0; Bill Dims: 21.0x12.0x2.0 in;
Base rate: $10.86; Fuel: $0.47; Disc: $2.74;

The bill Wt of 4.0 is incorrect. I refer you to invoice of Mar 30 and later all of which have a proper Bill Wt of 3.0 for a package weighing 2 lb 8oz.

21  * 12 * 2 / 166 = 3.036 lbs, dimensional weight of 4lbs.

Message 29 of 36
latest reply

Then why were 5 (20%) DIM'ed at 3lbs ??
Message 30 of 36
latest reply