cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer requested to return for wrong reason

All,

I just wanted to post about my experience and what customer service advised me to do.
I sold a ceiling fan motor and the buyer opened a request to return for the
reason "Doesn't work or defective", before even messaging me. I ask them for the model
of fan they installed it on and it was a different model fan that was a much different wattage,
the reason why it did not work correct. So the real reason was that they bought the wrong
motor for their fan, not that it was defective.

So, what to do at this point, the buyer will most likely not close the case and there
is no way for me to change the case. Also because the reason was listed as
"Doesn't work or defective" ebay will force me to pay for the return shipping that cost
that was twice what the motor sold for.

I called customer service, and this is what they advised:
1. Make sure to not let the case be escalated for ebay to decide.
2. Explain to the buyer that it is not a case of "Doesn't work or defective",
     and ask them to close the case.
3. If the buyer does not close the case, then before the date that the buyer can escalate the
    case, go and except the return paying for the return shipping.
    This will keep you as a seller from getting a bad mark. Even though you are temporarily
    out of the money for the item and return shipping.
4. Once the item is returned, open an appeal to get the return shipping cost back, based on
     the item actually working and being the wrong part or buyers remorse,  and not being
    "Doesn't work or defective".

CS stated that they have no way to change the case and that unless the buyer closes
the case, then the only thing I can do is appeal it after the fact.
I know one would think they would have a way to interject before the money is returned
to the buyer and needing to do an appeal, but this is how ebay seems to want to do things.  

I hope this may help someone else in a similar situation...

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Didn't read, none of it really relevant.  The new CorporateThink being pushed on sellers is simply to accept any return of any item for any reason.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Well in an odd twist, after I finished posting this I checked my messages only to find out that
the case was closed 3 days before the buyer should have been able to escalate it.
Another call to CS and apparently the CS that I talked to earlier that told me they could not do
anything was the one to escalate the case, 3 days before the buyer could. Unfortunately
this was also before I excepted that the buyer return it on my dime.
And unfortunately as no surprise it was decided in the buyers favor...

The end result is still the same though. Once I get the item back I need to open
up an appeal to get the return shipping back. And now also to get a defect mark
off my sellers account.
It is much more difficult for a seller these days then when I started some 15 years ago.
More and more I feel like stopping selling things on ebay...

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

I agree with chrysylys, ebay does seem to be pushing for the seller to cover return shipping
for any reason.
Although I do think what I wrote is definitely relevant to the way ebay is doing things now.
Basically take the beating of excepting to pay for returns, even if it is for the wrong reason.
And then appealing to get your return shipping back after the fact.
It seems wrong, but that is how ebay seems to what to do things.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

That is why what the above poster told you is really a seller's only alternative.

If they file SNAD, then you are forced to take it back, even if they are lying.

And you will be responsible to pay for return shipping.

And to avoid that dreaded defect, you never get ebay involved.  It never ends well for the seller.  You just check return for refund, send shipping label, and then wait for it to get back to you whereas you give a full refund.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

I am in the same boat as you now. I feel your pain! I'm gonna skip rehashing of similar sob story and just go to the consequences. I've toned down so much buying and selling due to this unfair practice of forcing sellers to accept returns for any reason. I used to encourage my husband to buy any gadgets he wanted because I was confident that we could sell our near new used items on eBay or Amazon quickly. Now anymore. When he wanted to buy a $4k Sony camera, I ask him how to sell his $3k Nikon without much risk. I've been holding a few high ticket items for months now. Too frightened to bother.
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

I meant "NOT anymore".
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

The best thing to do come June is to use the 30 day Free Returns on higher ticket/risk items . This way, when a buyer files a deceptive reason for return you can refund lesser amount of monies and let ebay deal with the buyer.

This would be the only way for a seller to have any control over a return. But since, it doesn't take effect until June, it's of no help presently.
Message 8 of 8
latest reply