cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Famous/notable people who purchased from you?

From my entire time of selling on eBay, I only had two buyers who got my attention...

A Boston Globe sportswriter (currently on staff) bought a Boston Globe Magazine several years ago from me.  He told me in his eBay message that he wrote the cover story on that magazine, but forgot to grab a copy for himself (!) and was elated that he checked on eBay and found my listing.

An American book author and actor bought a high school yearbook from me 10 years ago.  His fame was  appearing in a few Apple (Mac computer) TV commercials years ago and was an occasional guest on Comedy Central's The Daily Show with Jon Stewart.  He told me (via eBay message) that he never bought the yearbook before he graduated from that high school, and regretted it for many years.  And was glad he found it on eBay, even though the one I had was a used copy.

I know a majority of you don't care about the backgrounds of your buyers and only the sale.  But if someone was famous or notable reached out to you, like a top executive of a corporate company, or a famous actor buying something from you on eBay, I think that you would remember them?  Especially if they directly messaged you...

I was wondering if any of you had any buyers who were famous or notable.

(NOTE: I think I remember that revealing the real names and eBay IDs of any buyers are not allowed on these forums.  But you can reveal their occupation and what they're famous for, like how I described mine.)

Message 1 of 46
latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

Re: Famous/notable people who purchased from you?

You should have reported him to eBay for requesting a shipping method that you don't offer.  And for contacting you outside the Message Center.

Message 16 of 46
latest reply

My only claim to fame is I've sold MCM items on a couple of occasions to Tyler Perry Studios. I've eagle-eyed the Madea movies in hopes "she" would be using one of the items but haven't spotted one yet.  Of course they could be used in one of the many other productions he does but I really enjoy Madea. 🙂

-C

Message 17 of 46
latest reply

Dolly Parton.

Message 18 of 46
latest reply

I’ve had many of my items be bought for props for movie sets or tv shows.  Pawn stars has contacted me to be on their show about an item I’ve had.  I know I’ve had an item bought for the young Sheldon show

Message 19 of 46
latest reply

A few years ago, the widow of Tiny Tim purchased a copy of RAMPARTS MAGAZINE from me, because it had an article (with terrific photos) of Tiny Tim inside.

Freddie Stone (Sly's brother), who was also a member of Sly & The Family Stone purchased some back issues of JET MAGAZINE, which had photos of the band inside, which Freddie didn't own.

And several children and grandchildren of various authors and artists, who are attempting to flesh out their collections, have purchased items that had previously been overlooked by their forebears.

Message 20 of 46
latest reply

Sold an old  Western Electric tube to Charles Whitener, owner of Western Electric.

Sold many tubes to major manufacturers of pre-wired and DIY amplifiers.

Message 21 of 46
latest reply

I sold something being sent to a Hollywood film set, and my step son coincidentally was at the same studio.  So I dropped an email -small world- I think you might know my step son, and i named him. And she replied she did, very well, but it turned out she was a he and he was the producer and had ordered something in a hider name.  Very famous producer.

The best was I sent an unmentionable to a famous brothel in Nevada. 

Message 22 of 46
latest reply

About 7 years ago, I was at an auction and found a painting signed (Graves 40') and won it for $15 .. It was one of his original paintings he did in 1940.. I listed it for $800.. 2 Weeks into the listing, someone from the Morris graves museum of art in Eureka, CA contacted me and offered me $2500 for it... I sold it and they sent me a picture of it where they placed it in the museum ... They have been looking for that painting since the 1970's and gave me a lot of interesting details about that painting...

Morris Graves was an American painter and died in 2001

Message 23 of 46
latest reply

When I was running the antique store here in town, two large biker looking dudes walked in. They ended up buying something and asking alot of questions about the vintage coke machines.

Couldn't take my eyes off the guy with the bandana and pony tail, turns out they were Danny the Count and his buddy with the spikes from Counting Cars.

Love me some bad boys!

Message 24 of 46
latest reply

I sold a postcard to Mark Hall Patton and didn't give it a thought.

DH was taking packages to the PO and saw the name and address (Nevada)

And happily informed me The Beard of Knowledge from Pawn Stars was my customer.

I have sold in person to Brenda Lee (Rockin' Round the Christmas Tree for you youngins).  She will take selfies if asked, and still believes stars should never take their fans for granted.  She came to a sale on my birthday one year and I asked if she would sing happy birthday to me -- still have the video on my phone.   When I got a new phone I told the guy he could loose all my text messages, all my pictures, all my contacts but he could not loose that one video.

Which is a better story than "I had Bruce Springsteen's autograph and threw it away before he ever became famous."

Message 25 of 46
latest reply

A pair of Vintage 501 Light Wash Distressed Levi's to Ty Pennington

in Florida.

Message 26 of 46
latest reply

I couldn't find the order in my history, it must have been too long ago. I did have a book ordered by Christopher Nolan, in New York City. No messages or anything to verify that it was the director. If I recall, the book was about Jungian symbolism.

Message 27 of 46
latest reply

Sold a unique apron to the niece of the owner of the unique store I had purchased it from on a trip to Santa Fe 40 years earlier. She was thrilled to have it, because hers was completely worn out. (I can image it was if she has been using it for 40 years.)

Sold an old glass medicine bottle with an interesting name on it to a person with the same name. I messaged him after mailing and asked him if he was related. He said he didn't know, but liked to purchase those items anyway.

Sold a 30 year old doll magazine to the artist of the doll that was featured on the cover of the doll magazine. She had given all her copies away over the years to favored students and couldn't believe she was getting the chance to get another copy.

Message 28 of 46
latest reply

I sold a magazine to a relatively famous science fiction writer that I was familiar with from the Cons I used to go to.  We exchanged a couple of messages.  He was cool.  I also sold a book to a couple who were ecstatic to find it, the author was their uncle.

Message 29 of 46
latest reply

" I did have a book ordered by Christopher Nolan,"

Could have been him.  Not eBay related but I had a shop in town for a few years that specialized in Sci Fi/Horror/Fantasy and on one of the Art Walks a friend brought Chris's dad in.  Author of Logan's Run William F Nolan...a really nice guy.  I was almost too star struck to get his autograph.  Almost.

Message 30 of 46
latest reply