cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

False claim

I've been selling for 23 years!  I have had about 10 buyers in the past make claims that an item "SMELLS BAD" and  hence makes a claim for item not as described for a refund/return and each returned item smelled fresh as a daisy. ..this is a cunning conniving way to  get a refund ..  As a long time seller, I know by now that each and every items needs to pass the sniff test in order to be listed..and this habitual. Once again, this is a claim from a buyer who offered me $10 off a $20 dress (I  do not take offers) and she bought it a week later and then  made this false claim and I'm pretty sure it did not fit her right as it was clearly described as running big with listed measurements..we all know that many buyers do not read... There is no way for a seller to protect herself from this...I told her that I no longer accept returns for this type of claim and I'm now awaiting my first negative in years...

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: False claim

EBay isn't smelling your item, and there is no non bias third party to determine if the claim is false.

Because of this, the claim is considered valid.

EBay has incorporated a few programs that inspect the items and they actually block returns based on the decisions of those programs (authenticity, EIS).

However, direct to consumer with no middleman means EBay consideres it valid.

But I mean that's not limited to eBay. I sell on Walmart, Amazon, Mercari, Facebook.

It's literally all the same thing. Accept and move on.

Message 16 of 26
latest reply

Thanks for the lecture

Message 17 of 26
latest reply

How you deal with the SNAD is your own choice, I’m sure you know how eBay deals with them.

As for the legitimacy (or lack of) of your buyer’s claim, I have a few questions. Sorry if this offends you as it’s not my intention, I just need to be thorough in order to help.

Do you include anything in your package to try and freshen the smell? I sometimes get buyers spritz some sort of perfume, air freshener or put a dryer sheet in the box before they return it. Even unscented ones have a smell. Do you or anyone else in your house (where the items are stored) smoke? Not just asking about cigarettes but cigars, herbal stuff, or any other things I won’t mention? Is there incense or sage bundles being used. Pretty much anything that can have a significant aroma, fragrance, smell, or odor? Pets (I notice the photo as someone else pointed out), damp cardboard or newspaper, food? Yes, food. When I bought my house luckily I had to massive renovate it anyway, because the entire house reeked of curry. My agent and family all agreed, but the previous owner was totally oblivious to it. 

I get a good amount of returns, and about 15% of them come back covered in pet fur and smelling like (what i hope to be) pet urine. When I bring it up to the buyer if they have a pet, a few buyers end up getting upset and defensive at me saying something like “I have no pets, just a dog/cat”.

So I understand how people can be oblivious about this stuff when they live with it everyday. I even have friends when hearing complaints about their smoke lingering on other people’s clothes say “Don’t worry, it’s just weed so it doesn’t linger as long as cigarette smoke”.

Your buyer MAY be looking thru your item with a fine tooth comb because he wasn’t able to get the original deal he wanted. And he might be thinking, if I have to pay that much for this item it better darn well be perfect in my eyes. So any small hint of a smell might set him off to file a SNAD.

Message 18 of 26
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt wrote:

The first mistake you made was not adding the person to your BBL when they made the low ball offer.

I wrote a post a long time ago about blocking buyers who made offers you didn’t accept https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Why-maybe-you-should-block-any-offer-you-don-t-accept/m-p/3326...

It’s sad how this is what some sellers have to do to protect themselves here.

Message 19 of 26
latest reply

I would be changing my avi, if a buyer see's the pup - they may decide it is a perfect ''animal smell'' claim.

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 20 of 26
latest reply

@downunder-61 wrote:

I would be changing my avi, if a buyer see's the pup - they may decide it is a perfect ''animal smell'' claim.

I wonder if anyone bought an item from you thinking it smelled like koala 🐨  haha

Message 21 of 26
latest reply

@iamalwaysright wrote:

@downunder-61 wrote:

I wonder if anyone bought an item from you thinking it smelled like koala 🐨  haha

From what I hear they smell lovely, minty like the eucalyptus leaves they eat, even their poop.  

Message 22 of 26
latest reply

@tobyjill22 wrote:

Thanks for the lecture

That was not a lecture. 

It was crucial information that you did not appear to know, and was given solely for your benefit. If it does not help you, (and by the annoyed response it apparently won’t) then it may help inform someone else in the community. 

Message 23 of 26
latest reply

Ebays Mother Ship is located in California, you know the state that allows smash and grab up to $950.00!!

Ebay is like the store security guard that stands out of the way for a thief while opening the exit door for them then trips the clerk chasing after them.

As far as getting support or any answers from the fellow Ebay comrades, just know resistance is futile and most have submissively joined the Ebay food line and thus becoming one with the Borg.

Ebay once had class, now it's just a Gladiator Arena.

They are probably still claiming to be a real auction site...

Message 24 of 26
latest reply

Any expensive clothing I sell I loosely folded in a bag and seal them with a food vacuum sealer.

Ebay is run by the cast of Idiosyncrasy because you're not going to win as a seller on Ebay.

They have tied our hands and and hung us over the abyss of red tape and creative made up fake bureaucracy and allowed the thieves to run the prison.

Been selling on Ebay for 22 years now, the way they run their business today IMO wouldn't last a year 35 years ago.

They take your money and that is it.

Message 25 of 26
latest reply

Don't you get it? It's a free rental scam...

Message 26 of 26
latest reply