cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experienced Seller's Opinion On Good Till Cancelled BIN's

I've been in retail 35 years. I have been interviewed about retailing numerous times by local television & radio throughout the years and I was the yearly keynote speaker for the Fashion Merchandising classes at one of our local colleges. I was chosen because of my success in the area.

The number one question I always got & still do till this day is, "what do you do with merchandise that doesn't sell?" Any experienced seller knows the answer but this leads me to my point on why Good Till Cancelled is a horrible idea. 

Ebay puts listings that didn't sell into my "Unsold Listings" section. Having an "unsold listing" section on my seller dashboard forces my eyeballs on each listing that didn't sell in 30 days. This is a GOOD Thing!

It makes me scrutinize the listing and ask myself,  "Are there enough keywords in the title? Is there an error in the title or details section? Do the photos need to be re-done? Is the price too high? Should I make it an auction............." Whatever the case, I change that listing in some way to give it a better chance for a sale. This formula works! I did it in my brick & mortar store & I do it here on Ebay.

Now, Ebay decides to take a listing that didn't sell in 30 days & re-list it for me without giving me the option to make changes to improve the chances of a sale. It's as if those that make our rules have never retailed a day in their life. 

Message 1 of 81
latest reply
80 REPLIES 80

It would never occur to me to go to Google first before I shop on EBAY.
Message 61 of 81
latest reply

@treasure.hunter.d wrote:

@this*old*attic wrote:

Your point is empty.

The strength of GTC is that a given item keeps its entire viewing history, the watchers who saved it, and the same item number.

It grows rather than loses visibility over time.

And who says GOOGLE doesn’t work for OOAK items?

I use it ALL THE TIME to track down the matching pieces to my various vintage dish sets (its embarrassing how many I have); I used it to track down several vintage wedding dresses for my daughter (the “in” thing is to change several times) and fascinates for the bridesmaids, and I could go on and on.

I’m sorry, but the people “raging against the machine” are contradicting themselves.

You complain EBay is dead, then REJECT a change that will bring traffic IN.

You complain about poor sales, then REJECT a change that will INCREASE item visibility.

Items DO NOT gain visibility over time if they are "1 only" items listed for sale as GTC. Every time they are viewed without a sale is a strike against them in Cassini and their placement in best match goes down. Every point the brass at ebay made about GTC and the stats showing higher incidences of sales applies only to items listed with multiples available so that you can develop a positive sell through rate on them The higher that rate the better the visibility in Cassini. Period! This set-up has penalized sellers of single items, big negative impact on those that sell antiques, vintage etc where the norm is a "one only" listing, since its inception.

The bottom line here is that there will be no increase in visibility for 1 item listings and in fact the reverse will be true based on how Cassini operates and how that will only be negatively aggravated by this new GTC policy. Sure, you can go in and manually end your listings every month but you are losing that "end of listing" bump in search that you currently get in 30 day listings and it's obviously more work for 0 benefit.

Well said and thank you. Your eloquence and experience are very much appreciated.

As a small seller of collectibles (sometimes antiques) for almost 20 years, I totally agree with you. I list auctions and 30-day BIN almost daily. I do not systematically relist my ended listings. They stay in my "unsold" folder until I revise them, change the format, price, etc. or I delete them. From my longtime experience I know that items that did not sell as 30-day BIN after a few cycles, will usually sell quickly when I list them months later (even years) as "fresh" new 30-day BIN or even as auction.

I already work hard but this is MY CHOICE. I want to continue working MY WAY.  All sellers should have the OPTIONS to use or not use GTC.

Message 62 of 81
latest reply

I started another thread before I found this one. There is a problem manually ending a listing because there is a message that automatically appears at the top of the listing "the seller ended this item because it is no longer available"  What are people's opinions on this? I would rather it said, "the seller ended and relisted this item".

Message 63 of 81
latest reply

@uptownfoxfashion wrote:

I started another thread before I found this one. There is a problem manually ending a listing because there is a message that automatically appears at the top of the listing "the seller ended this item because it is no longer available"  What are people's opinions on this? I would rather it said, "the seller ended and relisted this item".

Very good question. There should be a more generic reason or no reason at all. "The seller ended and relisted this item" wouldn't even work for me because I do not always relist. I keep several hundreds ended listings in my unsold for a while so I can review, revise, etc. , and rotate them.

I would prefer "no message/reason" when I end my items, should I have to list with GTC.

Even better, I would prefer my items ending on their own (no need for a reason then) if I can continue using the 30-day BIN listings.

Message 64 of 81
latest reply

I currently like the mix I have of GTC listings that are variation listings and 30 days listings which are single item listings (but I may have multiple duplicates).  I have a store, but with only 250 listings available, and about 275 listings, I've been rotating through.

I'm not opposed to GTC listings when they make sense -- I have several listings of craft items that totally make sense in that format. The buyers are already familiar with the items, and the picture is basically a formality. Plus the names are clear and used in search, so it is obvious what to call each variation.  Those 10 listings are probably 90 percent of the business I do on ebay and they work great.

But I also have craft kits that are all counted cross stitch, or embroidery etc. .  These need more pictures and more explanation of each kit.  I tried once putting them in a large variation listing and it did not work.  I currently have my latch hook kits in variation GTC listings, but I have the most success when I sell them at auction. I'm going to try, though, to find kits that are all the same (same manufacturer, same thread count, same size) and put them in variation listings.  I figure if I can just do a few of them together, that will be enough to get me down to 250 listings.  Plus, I'm going to take the books I have and put them in lots.  I'm basically going to figure out a way to get my listings down to 225 or so (I hope) so that I can add a few new ones.

And I'm definitely going to relist in the middle of the month so that the 30 day relist doesn't catch up with me for a couple of years, by which time I hope to be done with ebay and doing something else!

Message 65 of 81
latest reply

OK, for whomever may be interested. I tested what message comes up when an item is manually ended. If you go to your store manager search the item and end it , the message at the top of the listing is "the seller ended this listing because its no longer available", If you go to "end my listing early" form, you can choose a reason.  Like "there was an error in the listing" and that is what shows up at the top.  I had someone watch these 2 items before I ended them. Then I relisted both and there was NO message to the watcher saying "this item has been relisted". I called ebay and the rep told me it WILL send a msg to the watchers and also show up as "relisted" in their watch list but that was NOT True. No message and no indication that the item is relisted and available (& no link to click to see relisted item either of course) I am concerned that people will "give up" and really think the item is not available. Using automated relist which I guess is going away, the message that appears at the top of an item that ended on its own is "this item has been relisted"

I am going to do this test again in a few weeks after all the changes have been implemented to see if they have upgraded anything within this function. The issue to me is that to get a not so "discouraging" messasge for the buyer at the top of the ended item, a seller has to end the items one at a time and choose  a reason.  So trying to manually end and relist things will have caveats if you have a lot of items for sale.

Message 66 of 81
latest reply

OK, for whomever may be interested. I tested what message comes up when an item is manually ended. If you go to your store manager search the item and end it , the message at the top of the listing is "the seller ended this listing because its no longer available", If you go to "end my listing early" form, you can choose a reason.  Like "there was an error in the listing" and that is what shows up at the top.  I had someone watch these 2 items before I ended them. Then I relisted both and there was NO message to the watcher saying "this item has been relisted". I called ebay and the rep told me it WILL send a msg to the watchers and also show up as "relisted" in their watch list but that was NOT True. No message and no indication that the item is relisted and available (& no link to click to see relisted item either of course) I am concerned that people will "give up" and really think the item is not available. Using automated relist which I guess is going away, the message that appears at the top of an item that ended on its own is "this item has been relisted"

I am going to do this test again in a few weeks after all the changes have been implemented to see if they have upgraded anything within this function. The issue to me is that to get a not so "discouraging" messasge for the buyer at the top of the ended item, a seller has to end the items one at a time and choose  a reason.  So trying to manually end and relist things will have caveats if you have a lot of items for sale.

Message 67 of 81
latest reply

If control is taken away, it stands to reason that managing all of our items will be more difficult. 

You must remember that ebay seller updates are made to benefit ebay and no one else. 

All of their policies which hinder sellers, benefit ebay. 

They are a company which the bottom line is to make money NO matter what. 

There is no ethics, no nothing, just pure greed.  Fact. 

They have meetings and try to think up more way, to skim more money from the sellers, 

and putting that money into ebay's bank account. Fact. 

This latest update about good til canceled benefits ebay and I will show you how. 

First let me show you how it is bad for sellers.  

No flexibility.  

If you sell the item locally while you are waiting months on end for it to sell on ebay, then you 

have to cancel the item.  If you cancel the item, you gets charged fees even though you

did not sell the item thru ebay.   They have now found a way to collect fee money on a sale

that doesn't even involve them.   

Most of us cannot or do not have space to store items indefinetely til it sells, so me along with other sellers take

all our unsold stuff to a local auction or facebook marketplace or craigslist it.  

If you are going to list on ebay, you better make sure it will sell or don't bother selling it there.  

Again, this does not benefit the sellers at all. the people that run ebay do not know anything about

selling things on the internet, all they know is ways to make ebay money at the expense of

the sellers that list on ebay.  NOTE: they refuse to collect any kind of fees or anything from buyers. 

All you have to do is look at the lopsided return policies to see that. 

you think free returns and scams benefit any of us sellers?  No.  But they do benefit ebay. 

You think free shipping benefits sellers,  NO, but it does benefit ebay along with the buyers.  

The flexibility for the sellers is almost completely gone, and ebay is in total control because

they warp the system to benefit them, and not you.   

This is all they think about in those meetings. 

When was the last time ebay has done anything to benefit the seller? 

Seller hub?  of course not....I don't even use that, because it's too slow. 

The only way this will change, is if a new better ebay is invented by someone and put on the internet. 

That would end the monopoly, but it would also mark the end of ebay because by then it would

be too late for ebay as all the sellers would have moved to this new online auction oasis. 

It's very strange no one has challenged ebay and invented that wheel that would be much better. 

Ebay was so good in the beginning, and it's shocking how bad it's gotten over the years.  

Message 68 of 81
latest reply

GOOD TO CANCELED WILL HURT THE POCKET BOOK FOR SELLERS THAT DO NOT PAY ATTENTION TO ENDING LISTINGS . IF THE LISTING DOES NOT SELL IN THIRTY DAYS THE LISTING NEEDS UPDATED TITLE OR PRICE CHANGES . THIS WILL REQUIRE THE SELLER TO PAY A LOT OF ATTENTION TO THEIR LISTING AND IF THEY DO NOT IT COULD COST THEM DEARLY . I THINK EbAY IS MAKING A MISTAKE AND IT WILL HURT THEM WHEN SELLERS GET FEES FOR LISTINGS RENEWING UNEXPECTEDLY.  THERE UNSOLD LISTINGS  SHOULD NOT BE AUTO RELISTED IT CAN BE DECEIVING.  I STRONGLY SUGGEST TO REMEMBER TO CANCEL LISTINGS BEFORE THERE RENEWED AND COST YOU FEES. WITH OUT SELLERS  THEY WILL NOT MAKE MONEY AND I THINK SELLERS WILL GO ELSE WHERE IF THEY FEEL ABUSED BY UNCONTROLLABLE AUTOMATIC FEES.  IT IS A BAD MISTAKE FOR EBAY  AND I FEEL IT IS GREED THAT MADE THIS CHANGE. MANY SELLERS ARE VERY SMALL AND HAVE LIMITED BANK ACCOUNTS AND COULD BE HURT BY THIS PRACTICE. I FEEL IT IS A SCARY PRACTICE AND SOME MIGHT THINK THERE ITEMS COULD BE GHOSTED SO THAT FEES WILL A CURE AFTER 30 DAYS

Message 69 of 81
latest reply

@dffonline wrote:

It's as if those that make our rules have never retailed a day in their life. 

And they're getting advise from former Sears, Davids Bridal, and Toys 'R Us executives before listening to their sellers. But guess what, we're learning their tricks too and don't expect everyone to be so complacent this time. 

Message 70 of 81
latest reply

Yes!!
All sellers should have the OPTIONS to use or not use GTC.
Message 71 of 81
latest reply

I have been in retail selling for over 40 years. Ebay's forced Good Till Cancelled BIN is the worst idea they have had to date. This is nothing more than forcing sellers to pay more fees;period. It is forcing me to rethink this business model of online sales. It has been proven many times in the past that when Ebay tries to force issues on it's sellers that it backfires. As seller we have to always have customers best interests in mind and do the right by them.  When will Ebay have their customers (the sellers) best interest?

Message 72 of 81
latest reply

@this*old*attic wrote:

Its about improving sales for everyone...

not everyone...  I don't care about Google indexing.  I want my items sold within a few days, not weeks or months.  No one seems to care about the loss of short term durations.  To me, that is the worst part of this whole GTC thing...

Message 73 of 81
latest reply

@dffonline wrote:

Having an "unsold listing" section  is a GOOD Thing

{snip}

It makes me scrutinize the listing and ask myself

{snip}

This formula works! I did it in my brick & mortar store & I do it here on Ebay.

In your brick and mortar store, who put stale item into your "unsold listing section"?

I bet no one did.

I bet you had to proactively review your inventory, which is exactly what GTC will force you to do.

Message 74 of 81
latest reply

With all your experience in retail, implementing the GTC should be a piece of cake for you!

In retail, you put something on the shelf and it stays there, until it sells or you do something about it to make it sell.  Same with GTC.  Obviously, you need to keep an eye on your product, but a good business person would do that anyway.

Message 75 of 81
latest reply