cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Empty Box Scam

So, I sell (among other things) Rolex watches.

Last Tuesday evening, a customer having 60 or so feedbacks (all positive) makes a purchase for a $2700 Rolex. Promptly, Wednesday morning, I package up the watch, winding it, setting the time, and doing the final wipe-down to remove any residual fingerprints, and get it shipped out in a medium flat-rate box through the USPS.

The item was delivered on Friday at just at 3pm. Shows that it was signed for by the intended recipient. 

Friday night / Saturday morning (12:20 midnight), I get a message from the buyer saying he received an empty box. Naturally, I asked if he signed for it and if he himself opened it. No answer to those questions. I also asked for photos of EXACTLY what he received. He sends me 3 photos. 2 were of the inside of the box showing packing material, and one was of the top of the box where he cut through the shipping label and opened the box. In his initial statement he stated that he also "checked around the property and checked with the neighbors" to see if he could find the "merchandise".

So, being a Saturday, I could do nothing regarding opening a postal investigation. The watch was insured for the full sale price. So, just filing a claim with the PO wouldn't do much good without an official investigation.

Yesterday, I contacted both the police within HIS jurisdiction and the Post Office's inspector's office. This enraged the buyer. 

After learning that I had opened a case with the PO, he decided, last night, to open an SNAD case with eBay. He also stated that he had already acquired a police report.

In one of his responses, he threatened "since I know your address, I will harass you". Adding, " I wouldn’t be surprised to receive negative feedback which will also ruin your credibility as a perfect seller for the next 12 months.". I know, I know. Both violations of the TOS. That will be discussed with eBay when customer service opens.

He has maintained that he has no intention of complying or cooperating with any investigation since I won't just issue him a refund.

After going through his feedback, I've actually looked at the types of items he's been buying. Get this... 90% of the items he's been purchasing have been for $0.99 or less. Some are auctions for a actual penny that is for local pick-up only; guaranteeing positive feedback upon completion of the $0.01 sale!

I have reported him and he has since been turned over to eBay's "Buyer Risk Assessment Team" due to evidence of suspicious or fradulent activity.

I still have no Idea as to how this is going to play out. 

Words of advice or encouragement anyone?????

Message 1 of 82
latest reply
81 REPLIES 81

Re: Empty Box Scam

Insurance is a suckered bet.
Message 46 of 82
latest reply

BTW, no, I didn't send it registered mail. In this case, it wouldn't make a difference anyway. eBay - by their own admission - ONLY cares whether or not the buyer produces a police report.

Not going to add insult to injury here, sending it Registered Mail would have made a world of difference.

Once you have the item boxed, you use wide brown paper tape - threaded is better - and completely cover the package length and width wise w/ strips

of this tape. Do not leave any portion of your box uncovered.

The USPS clerk will postmark all spots where tape overlaps for proof that pkg has not been tampered with. Clerk should postmark all four sides of the pkg multiple times at the seams of the tape on each side for proof the the package has not been tampered with in transit. If you get a lazy retail clerk, ask them to add more postmarks - I have.

Most mailers do not know that registered mail travels outside the mailstream - it's handled hand to hand inside the USPS during transit w/ each individual signing for it. It's really the only service left where sanctity of the mail means anything. Inspectors treat loss of Registered much more seriously than just a numbered insured because of the value of the item and their ability to interview each employee who handled the pkg.

At the destination office, the, "cage clerk" and/or carrier would definitely be able to tell if the package had been tampered with by the way the item had been packaged and postmarked, and both would have been able to tell if the pkg. was an empty box, (registered gets much more attention.)

Anyone who sells $500+ items online should be aware - and use - this service. You're setting yourself up for the exact scaenario you're facing

if you don't use it. Seriously - never mail another watch other than Registered Mail.

Good luck on your insurance claim.

On a sidenote - I knew the manager of the JB Rudolph jewelry store (located in Hudson's back in the day) They sent all their jewelry Registered Mail without insurance. She stated it wasn't cost effective because they never - once - had to submit a claim, and she managed the store for over a decade.

Message 47 of 82
latest reply

: Duly noted and disregarded.
Message 48 of 82
latest reply

In one of the buyer's messages Monday evening (prior to opening the case), he stated that he had already obtained a police report. So, I contacted the LA County Sheriff's Office yesterday. They told me that no police reports had been made with either the buyer's name or mine (within the title or report). 

Seems a bit strange that the buyer would claim to have made a report, when, in fact, he hadn't. Blowing smoke maybe??? He was VERY insistant on having me refund him immediately. But still claiming he gave me "plenty of time" to get this resolved so I could collect the insurance. Yeah, sure, "plenty of time". He first told me he had a problem at midnight Friday/Saturday. Can't do a thing over the weekend. He opens a case Monday night. ONE DAY!

Haven't heard anything new from either him or eBay since night-before-last.

Message 49 of 82
latest reply

@katesmom48 wrote:

wait, this guy Had to sign for delivery right??  Hence the Postal Deliery person would have noted any opening of the box.. and there would have been documentation that the box looked to be tampered with. Also, If I ordered a 2800 dollar watch and found and empty box, I wouldn't threaten you with negative feedback, I WOULD AUTOMATICALLY give it and call ebay after giving you 30 seconds to make good. This guy is acting like a SCAMMER. 100% DO NOT REFund Yet at all, make sure you have some documentation from the postal department.

Excellent point. Someone pays thousands, gets an empty box and says, "watch out, I may give you negative feedback." May give you? A legitimate buyer would not react that way.

How about checking the weight of the parcel per the post office? If you have your receipt from the PO, it will say it.

Message 50 of 82
latest reply

@billiards74 wrote:

In one of the buyer's messages Monday evening (prior to opening the case), he stated that he had already obtained a police report. So, I contacted the LA County Sheriff's Office yesterday. They told me that no police reports had been made with either the buyer's name or mine (within the title or report). 

Seems a bit strange that the buyer would claim to have made a report, when, in fact, he hadn't. Blowing smoke maybe??? He was VERY insistant on having me refund him immediately. But still claiming he gave me "plenty of time" to get this resolved so I could collect the insurance. Yeah, sure, "plenty of time". He first told me he had a problem at midnight Friday/Saturday. Can't do a thing over the weekend. He opens a case Monday night. ONE DAY!

Blowing smoke maybe? I'd say lying, definately. Everything about this guy screams, SCAM!

Message 51 of 82
latest reply

At least you have his money
Message 52 of 82
latest reply

If you used the Ebay shipping system the label has the item number

Couple the ability to see what is in the box with the insurance amount & the possibility for setting it aside for a quick "smartphone check" is not unheard of --- which makes it possible that the package was tampered with

Just sayin' ............

Message 53 of 82
latest reply

@chrysylys wrote:

I still can't figure out why people list things over a hundred bucks or so here.

In my business( jewelry), you would be severely limiting yourself  with a $100 price limit.  You couldn't sell most 14K , 18K, platinum  or diamond jewelry on Ebay for instance.  

It helps to attempt to mitigate your risk.  (ie  pricing higher than spot on scrap precious metals and using Best Offer to weed out undesirable buyers)  I tend to have a lot of repeat customers... buyers that I know and trust.

The majority of the time there are no issues selling higher priced merchandise.  

But, I still get stressed because I read stories like this on the boards.  But this seller had the misfortune of running across a thief.  It is as unlucky as having someone break into your business and rob you.  Small odds of it happening.... at least in my experience.  I have had one loss/theft at the USPS recently for $20 in coins and it was covered by Priority insurance.  (whoever took them probably thought they were getting some real valuable coins....lol) Paid out within days.  I have never had a theft of an item over $100..... and I have sold many in my time on Ebay.

Message 54 of 82
latest reply

@beyondfab wrote:
Insurance is a suckered bet.

I guess you don't insure your house, or car either?

While I agree on low priced items the odds of having a lost or damaged item may not justify the cost of buying extra insurance.

But on high value items it can be a blessing for a seller who would otherwise stand to lose a great amount of money.

Whenever a seller finds the key to success, ebay changes the lock>wah photo 0767_zpsx6rpcmh5.png
Message 55 of 82
latest reply

@billiards74 wrote:

Did YOU file a report for the buyer with the Sheriff???  The buyer is attempting to steal from you, it's the least you should do.

And you should let the buyer know that you have contacted the Sheriff and they want to know the report number so they can add the information (like serial number) you are going to give them to the report.  Bet he'll blow a gasket and cancel the dispute (claiming he 'found' the watch) once he knows that he is getting on outside authorties radar.

By the way, unless it is a non trendy item with little scammer interest, I would never list anything worth more than a $100 on ebay.  If it's worth $1,000 on ebay, it's worth $1,000 anywhere.

(*Bleep*)
Message 56 of 82
latest reply

I think OP did tell the "buyer."

"Yesterday, I contacted both the police within HIS jurisdiction and the Post Office's inspector's office. This enraged the buyer. 

After learning that I had opened a case with the PO, he decided, last night, to open an SNAD case with eBay. He also stated that he had already acquired a police report."

Message 57 of 82
latest reply

@hawgryders wrote:
If you used the Ebay shipping system the label has the item number

It could have the item number on the Shipping label, if the seller selected that option when printing the label, such as when sending to a re-shipper; they request that all the time. Its default is Off, however.

Message 58 of 82
latest reply

Sure did! I filed a police report with my local sheriff's office yesterday morning and included all the communication between myself and the buyer. This included the threats of harassment where he stated "I know your address and I will harass you".

I'm expecting a phone call at some point either today or tomorrow from the Post Office's inspector in charge of this case to give him the item number of the police report along with the communications.

I WILL NOT GO DOWN WITHOUT A FIGHT!!!!!

Message 59 of 82
latest reply

Doing my part to see this through to the bitter end. 

Checked again today with the buyer's local police department to see if, in fact, he had filed a police report. Nothing as of yet. Doing my part in regards to the case. Making sure I respond after each response from him.

Nothing new from eBay yet though. They did tell me today that if, indeed, the buyer gets removed for bad/fradulent buying practices, they would automatically rule in my favor. I guess that's a plus.

I'm still insistant that I won't do any more business on eBay though. Anyone wanna buy a Rolex? LOL

Message 60 of 82
latest reply