cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Empty Box Scam

So, I sell (among other things) Rolex watches.

Last Tuesday evening, a customer having 60 or so feedbacks (all positive) makes a purchase for a $2700 Rolex. Promptly, Wednesday morning, I package up the watch, winding it, setting the time, and doing the final wipe-down to remove any residual fingerprints, and get it shipped out in a medium flat-rate box through the USPS.

The item was delivered on Friday at just at 3pm. Shows that it was signed for by the intended recipient. 

Friday night / Saturday morning (12:20 midnight), I get a message from the buyer saying he received an empty box. Naturally, I asked if he signed for it and if he himself opened it. No answer to those questions. I also asked for photos of EXACTLY what he received. He sends me 3 photos. 2 were of the inside of the box showing packing material, and one was of the top of the box where he cut through the shipping label and opened the box. In his initial statement he stated that he also "checked around the property and checked with the neighbors" to see if he could find the "merchandise".

So, being a Saturday, I could do nothing regarding opening a postal investigation. The watch was insured for the full sale price. So, just filing a claim with the PO wouldn't do much good without an official investigation.

Yesterday, I contacted both the police within HIS jurisdiction and the Post Office's inspector's office. This enraged the buyer. 

After learning that I had opened a case with the PO, he decided, last night, to open an SNAD case with eBay. He also stated that he had already acquired a police report.

In one of his responses, he threatened "since I know your address, I will harass you". Adding, " I wouldn’t be surprised to receive negative feedback which will also ruin your credibility as a perfect seller for the next 12 months.". I know, I know. Both violations of the TOS. That will be discussed with eBay when customer service opens.

He has maintained that he has no intention of complying or cooperating with any investigation since I won't just issue him a refund.

After going through his feedback, I've actually looked at the types of items he's been buying. Get this... 90% of the items he's been purchasing have been for $0.99 or less. Some are auctions for a actual penny that is for local pick-up only; guaranteeing positive feedback upon completion of the $0.01 sale!

I have reported him and he has since been turned over to eBay's "Buyer Risk Assessment Team" due to evidence of suspicious or fradulent activity.

I still have no Idea as to how this is going to play out. 

Words of advice or encouragement anyone?????

Message 1 of 82
latest reply
81 REPLIES 81

Re: Empty Box Scam

You should upload the P.O. report , and police report numbers into the case, also file an ic3 internet crime report and load that number  into the case as well. 

I would also call USPS again and try to set up a face to face appointment w/ a Postal Inspector. I'd bring a copy of this buyer's purchasing history (showing he's inflating his FB) and also shell out a few bucks and bring in his criminal record - if any, (also relay info to eBay.)

http://www.top10bestbackgroundcheck.com/?kw=top%2010%20background%20check&c=83016469588&t=search&p=&...

I'll reiterate - NEVER send an item of this value merely Insured. You give the purchaser numerous outs he wouldn't have had if you sent it Registered Mail.

Being blunt - not rude - it's stupid to send a $2700 watch insured and not Registered w/ insurance..

Message 16 of 82
latest reply

also, a normal buyer would not be "enraged" that you did what any good responsible seller would do in a situation such as this. Ebay had better see the writing on the wall. this is a no brainer.

Message 17 of 82
latest reply

Registered mail is locked up at every point along the way while in USPS possession.  That takes care of securing the package and ensuring that a buyer will not be handed an empty box.

Further, registered mail is delivered individually by USPS personnel (as is overnight domestic priority express).  It does not go out on a delivery truck and is never left unattended.

Adding adult signature restricted delivery requires the package be delivered ONLY to the person named on the label, and that person is required to produce government-issued picture ID.

Together with insurance, making use of these services minimizes the seller's risks as much as as possible. Other than using USPS, courier service could be used for this type of delivery.

OP has not answered about whether the package was sent with signature confirmation, which is required to prove delivery to eBay & Paypal's satisfaction. Whether eBay/Paypal requires signature confirmation on a missing-item SNAD, I do not know.  However, being able to prove delivery would seem an integral part of a "missing contents" SNAD claim. (For this very reason, amzn does require signature confirmation for both INR & SNAD).

OP, if you used signature confirmation, you can obtain a copy of the signature from the USPS by email.  If you did not use sc, I think you are justifiably out of luck.  You are the only one at risk if you choose not to control access to your item in transit.

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 18 of 82
latest reply

OP posts reads thats it was signed for by intented recipient.  I was thinking that it was signed for which is why I am thinking this case is odd as postmaster would have some kind of documentation that box was tampered with if indeed it Was...........which we are thinking it perhaps was NOT

Message 19 of 82
latest reply

OP did say the delivery showed it was signed for by the buyer

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 20 of 82
latest reply

for 2800 I think he had better have signiture confirmation! At least to me that is a good chunk of change!

Message 21 of 82
latest reply

From OPs original post:

The item was delivered on Friday at just at 3pm. Shows that it was signed for by the intended recipient. 

Listing also states item will be sent with Signature Confirmation Required

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!
Message 22 of 82
latest reply

laughing emo.gifGotta work on my fast typing skills!

Message 23 of 82
latest reply

Registered service is a waste of money.
Message 24 of 82
latest reply

Good grief

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 25 of 82
latest reply

Smart sellers use registered mail with adult signature & restricted delivery, insured for full value, for expensive items such as a $2,700 Rolex watch.

Thx. to 5 or so posters who pointed out my mistake. 🙂

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 26 of 82
latest reply

@beyondfab wrote:
Registered service is a waste of money. in my opinion!

All better now that I fixed it for you!

Message 27 of 82
latest reply

Registered service is a waste of money.

Flat rate Priority Box - $ 6.80

$2700 insurance        - $35.30

Total                                  $42.10

Flat rate Priority Box -       $ 6.80

Registered w/ $2700 Ins. $19.20

Total                                        $26.00

Not only is it cheaper, it's USPS'es most secure service besides Con Cons. It goes under lock and key from point of origin to destination.

Any USPS employee who touches the postal sack item is in signs for it. It travels outside the mailstream. Brown registered tape

(mailer responsibility)  surrounds package - postmarked in multiple areas by accepting USPS retail clerk. Item cannot be left at residence,

(w/ just insurance, purchaser can sign peach slip and have pkg left if not at home.)

It's foolish to mail an item of this value using any service other than Registered w/ insurance.

Message 28 of 82
latest reply

@*eponymous* wrote:

Smart sellers use registered mail with adult signature & restricted delivery, insured for full value, for expensive items such as a $2,700 Rolex watch.

Thx. to 5 or so posters who pointed out my mistake. 🙂

epon, OP didn't clarify if they used "registered" or just regular signature confirmation, and I agree with you ~ and item that pricey should have "registered" to help prevent this type of claim, not to mention the fact that Sig. required USPS tracking numbers stay in the system longer in case a INR is opened on PayPal.

Message 29 of 82
latest reply

hey epo.... it was apparently signed forSmiley WinkSmiley Tongue

Message 30 of 82
latest reply