cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email from Webinterpret saying Ive been opted in. Is this real? More fun stuff.

I just woke up to 3 problems as usual. One big one is web-interpret cross border welcoming me and saying that ebay opted me in.   Im not clicking through anything and I know there were major issues in the past.   I never would opt in and have offered international shipping for 10 years.  Im at a point where I may stop all international shipping.  I had 2 - no pickups, 1 in Germany and 1 in the UK. Really Im at the point of about closing my store after almost 3 million in sales.

The last thing I want is being auto-opted into a program that is scammy. Also telling me I have to offer 30 day paid returns, which I will close my store before doing that. Ive always taken returns, Ive always shipped international but, I need to have some control over that. An overseas return is costly and buyers not wanting to pay customs is becoming common.

I want to sell to everyone, everywhere. Its in our best business interest but, when ever little thing is micromanaged poorly, we stand to lose more money and time which gives us no time to actually work on our store.

I called ebay while writing this and couldnt be told if I was opted in or not.  I was told to go to webinterpret and click a link and send a message and to report to spoof@ebay.   It seems rather antiquated that ebay couldnt tell me and that I have to write companies to see if Im opted in.  Its just one thing after another here.

Another issue some of you may be able to clarify for me.  Weve shipped everyday since the beginning.  Noone had to make us do this or threaten us with defects.  Yet of course they did. The most common feedback we get is super fast shipping or something like that.

it took us a long time to sort out usps as we had no full time carrier becasue our mail route was long and noone wanted it. For a long time, we were literally chasing carriers, running to the post office before close and always stressed out about something we already did but, to get that scan. We had 7 different carriers some weeks, all at different times. After a lot of begging, we got on a route for pickups becasue we did enough volume.  We have guy who comes everyday so it was a load off our shoulders.  Now we moved close by and the same guy comes and he's great.  The issue is now that due to our sales taking a dump, and some days we have 0-2 packages, it looks like we are losing our pickup.  USPS will not pickup on a route unless you do x amount of packages, which we no longer do and it is 100% ebays issues.  We never had blackouts and were on a constant climb until June 2018. 

Recently with the quadrupling of returns, we started charging shipping again. Things changed for the worse and free  shipping became an open invite to buy without thinking.  We have no discounts, I dont beleive anything we do can make Cassinni like us, so if we lose our carrier we will stop shipping daily. Not intentionally, as we will still do the packages but, we will not drive to the post office daily or have the stress of chasing down an unsuspecting mailman with a bunch of packages. We will have to put them out with scan sheet and cross our fingers.  We have a job box with a code and instructions on our porch. We can request pickups through the site again and add instructions but, we know how that worked out last time, which was sometimes packages wouldnt be picked up.  

This will surely tank our shipping % if a decent size load doesnt get picked up and I cant bare to call ebay everyday like the old days.  What will this do to our account ? We dont care about badges, weve been here long enough to have repeat customers and weve seen this terror ship coming at us for years so made lots of money and diversified, assuming that we wouldnt be selling here some day.  Of course I dont want to see the work weve put in to the store go away but sunk cost fallacy be damned.

So many unintended consequences have made doing business here harder.  We have almost always been 100% feedback sellers, we had all the discounts and shipped 6 days a week. 45k a month was average. Almost 3 million in sales.  Right now if 1 of of every item in our store sold, the value of current prices is 500k. much of that stuff we have in large quantities not listed on ebay. We also have enough inventory to quadruple the size of our store but, severely diminished returns if we go at it like we used to for much less. Many millions in inventory.

Weve done every edit and change over the years, weve tried free returns, done free shipping for years and now find ourselves selling much less but constant issues. The customer has almost become a unintended adversary. We block at the slightest hint of issue and look at feedback left by buyers when they ask questions.  This is the only protection we have when ebay stopped protecting us.  We have always been top sellers , never losing discounts and being crazy to get our scans and packages out as intended. Ebay has constantly made this harder to achieve through the one size fits all, treating us all like were crooks and not doing something right.  We used to rewards, now we get threats constantly. Psychologically, its pretty messed up. It doesnt matter if its un-intended, thats what it is. Constant problems, different solutions from different people and usually several cs calls or emails to get a halfway decent solution. 

This is different than what has ever happened here.  I would bet that some of us sellers were ebays best buyers as well. Now we see no reason to invest more and more time and money as the present and end looks bleak. I'll beleive seller protections when I see them. 

Started the day out with manufactured problems is becoming more the norm and it doesnt get ant easier, it just builds up until we are about to pop.

Message 1 of 179
latest reply
178 REPLIES 178

Re: Email from Webinterpret saying Ive been opted in. Is this real? More fun stuff.

When we use the term ("Opt in", it is synonymous with "enroll"). Many programs, features, and tools here at eBay will be discussed in the terms of members being "Opted-in", and this is not in any way meant to indicate that those members submitted a request or selected an option to use those features. (Language is constantly evolving and the meaning behind the opt in phrasing may not be the same as it was in the past.)

Black's Law Dictionary

https://thelawdictionary.org/opt-in/

MERRIAM WEBSTER'S UNABRIDGED DICTIONARY

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/opt%20in

Business Dictionary

http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/opt-in.html

Message 61 of 179
latest reply

Re: Email from Webinterpret saying Ive been opted in. Is this real? More fun stuff.

My problem with Webinterpret was written several weeks ago. I have to say their customer service for me was wonderful. I think this could be a good thing BUT...wait for them to get the glitches out. My question is still this....When we have to make a change in a listing (ie because of a policy violation) how do we know the change has been translated or how do we get foreign listing up graded??. Also from my problem I learned that a word I have used in US, Australia, Great Britain for months, is suddenly WRONG to use on the German site. Be aware of this! I have no problem with eBay's efforts to keep trademarks and companies safe. I just think the Great Computer needs to be adjusted to be consistent as much as is digitally possible!

Message 62 of 179
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@abfabvintage wrote:

@Anonymous 

Hey...see the OPs post #2.

Hi @abfabvintage, I see what you are referring to - it looks like there was a comment about the account going live, but I believe this is simply referring to the Webinterpret account where a seller can manage the listings translated and posted by Webinterpret. I'll be looking into this further with the OP slight_smile

Message 63 of 179
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@gracieallen01 wrote:

Hello Trinton,

It appears that you (ebay) uses 'opt in' to mean enroll in, without a necessarily active or voluntary action.  

However, 'opt out' is a decisive voluntary, and seller decided, action to exit a program. 

How can that be?  Just which is the correct usage of the word 'opt'?

Hi @gracieallen01, since words can mean more than one thing, I would counter that there is no correct or incorrect usage for the terminology we are discussing. That being said, while language is a personal passion of mine, I won't be able to debate this point further - we will simply have to agree to disagree on this matter. If you encounter a similar discussion in the future where eBay is stating they are opting a group in to something, understand that we are enrolling them.

Also, to clarify, it does not seem like any of the other sellers in this discussion have been opted in - it looks like the promotions clearly state that the seller must sign up to participate. Initially the OP stated they were opted in, so I discussed how some sellers have been opted in. Now that they have shared a screenshot of their promotion, the Terms & Conditions show that they have not been opted in but instead have the option to do so through the promotional offer. Without being able to access their account I cannot say with 100% certainty, but the photo shred here does seem to indicate this is the case.

I strongly disagree Trinton.  eBay is in the eCommerce/digital environment and Opt In / Opt Out have very specific meanings and at least here in my state, are REGULATED.  Opt In programs operating in  the way eBay has set this up are prohibited here.   I'm sure my state attorney general will be very interested in this new offering.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 64 of 179
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@eunster1313 wrote:

When we use the term ("Opt in", it is synonymous with "enroll"). Many programs, features, and tools here at eBay will be discussed in the terms of members being "Opted-in", and this is not in any way meant to indicate that those members submitted a request or selected an option to use those features. (Language is constantly evolving and the meaning behind the opt in phrasing may not be the same as it was in the past.)

Black's Law Dictionary

https://thelawdictionary.org/opt-in/

MERRIAM WEBSTER'S UNABRIDGED DICTIONARY

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/opt%20in

Business Dictionary

http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/opt-in.html

Hi @eunster1313, I believe the issue here may be a matter of colloquial use. As I mentioned before, not something we can discuss in this thread, but please keep in mind that there are many terms used within the scope of eBay, online commerce, and these discussion boards that would either not have a definition within standard sources or whose definitions would not align with how they are used within eBay, online commerce, or these discussion boards.

Message 65 of 179
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dtexley3 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@gracieallen01 wrote:

Hello Trinton,

It appears that you (ebay) uses 'opt in' to mean enroll in, without a necessarily active or voluntary action.  

However, 'opt out' is a decisive voluntary, and seller decided, action to exit a program. 

Hi @gracieallen01, since words can mean more than one thing, I would counter that there is no correct or incorrect usage for the terminology we are discussing. That being said, while language is a personal passion of mine, I won't be able to debate this point further - we will simply have to agree to disagree on this matter. If you encounter a similar discussion in the future where eBay is stating they are opting a group in to something, understand that we are enrolling them.

Also, to clarify, it does not seem like any of the other sellers in this discussion have been opted in - it looks like the promotions clearly state that the seller must sign up to participate. Initially the OP stated they were opted in, so I discussed how some sellers have been opted in. Now that they have shared a screenshot of their promotion, the Terms & Conditions show that they have not been opted in but instead have the option to do so through the promotional offer. Without being able to access their account I cannot say with 100% certainty, but the photo shred here does seem to indicate this is the case.

I strongly disagree Trinton.  eBay is in the eCommerce/digital environment and Opt In / Opt Out have very specific meanings and at least here in my state, are REGULATED.  Opt In programs operating in  the way eBay has set this up are prohibited here.   I'm sure my state attorney general will be very interested in this new offering.

Hi @dtexley3, the topic of word choice is not related to the OPs situation and while I have taken a moment to address a couple of previous comments, any future discussion surrounding semantics should be within a thread dedicated to that topic. I can encourage you to review the Terms & Conditions within our FAQ related to this program if you have any concerns or need further clarity. There you will find the official details of this program which may address some of the concerns you have raised.

Message 66 of 179
latest reply

Tagging to the end of the post

ebay doesn`t understand, for some reason, that sellers want to sell on their terms without surprises. headaches, workarounds etc. It doesn`t matter if the program is free. It doesn`t matter if it`s the best program on the planet, the seller wants some control and choices, not back-door enrollment.

Now sellers have the headache of opting out of something they never opted into and they just trust ebay just a little less then they did before. I would strongly suggest to ebay to quit playing games with sellers accounts and do something for once to try and gain your sellers trust back. You aren`t winning anyone over this way.

"There`s always barber college" - Dalton - Road House
Message 67 of 179
latest reply

Additionally, from what I have read, it isn't easy to opt out.  The token placed by Webinterpret reappears, and multiple attempts to stop this service may not be successful.  If you read of the problems in those threads, you will understand why there is such a negative reaction.  The fact that just clicking on See Details opted many in when they were just looking for info was very disturbing.

Speculation about there not being enough sellers signing up was my thought because many were aware of the negative experiences of others from threads; thus it seems possible that if people weren't clicking on see details anymore, then an automatic opt in might be eBay's answer, to get more participation.  That's all.

Message 68 of 179
latest reply

Try going to the account tab and click on subscriptions. If you got auto enrolled into something this is were you should be able to opt out. If This is like TeraPeek you will be provided the service with your store subscription but until you actively set up the account and give them permission to scrub your pc for any personal data about you or your customers the account is kind of in limbo.

Message 69 of 179
latest reply

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

Additionally, from what I have read, it isn't easy to opt out.  The token placed by Webinterpret reappears, and multiple attempts to stop this service may not be successful.  If you read of the problems in those threads, you will understand why there is such a negative reaction.  The fact that just clicking on See Details opted many in when they were just looking for info was very disturbing.

Speculation about there not being enough sellers signing up was my thought because many were aware of the negative experiences of others from threads; thus it seems possible that if people weren't clicking on see details anymore, then an automatic opt in might be eBay's answer, to get more participation.  That's all.  No offense intended.

@Anonymous 

Message 70 of 179
latest reply

@gracieallen01 wrote:

Of course, this may be an ebay 'partner' or commissioned salesman or whatever they call them nowadays.

i would almost bet every dollar that i'm not making on ebay that webinterpret is somehow affilliated with ebay due to ebays, text-book vague answers regarding them,.... the same vague answers c/s gives for ALL their policies and programs.  any other website/program requiring a token to access the ebay account they will give you definitive information about...

Message 71 of 179
latest reply

mass enrollment..... it's very possible and likely... ebay never gives transparency anymore either way .... and i would almost guarantee that somehow web interpret or someone else has copied and located some of my own listings on international sites as i have found them in funky languages when i google search my name.  i have never offered international shipping, nor will i.  small used parts for vehicles are just not worth the additional hassles.  i do know i myself have never received an international order, and every time i even find a hint of one of my listings on an international order i change my passwords and check to see if there is a 3rd party access for them.  i havent been charged any fees for them, which i check for every month.  nor will i click anywhere on the website or messages and never have.

Message 72 of 179
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@gracieallen01 wrote:

Hi @gracieallen01, since words can mean more than one thing, I would counter that there is no correct or incorrect usage for the terminology we are discussing.

“When I use a word,” Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.” “The question is,” said Alice, “whether you can make words mean so many different things.” “The question is,” said Humpty Dumpty, “which is to be master—that’s all.”

-- Lewis Carroll (Charles L. Dodgson), Through the Looking-Glass (1872)

@Anonymous wrote:
If you encounter a similar discussion in the future where eBay is stating they are opting a group in to something, understand that we are enrolling them.

Yes! I would be good with "enroll" in this context. Certainly it's possible to be enrolled in something without your knowledge or permission, but it's pretty much physically impossible to opt-in to something without your awareness and cooperation. Let's go with "enroll" for the purposes of this discussion going forward. Thanks.

(I would have responded sooner, but I recently opted-in to a pizza and have only just finished it. Smiley Happy)

Message 73 of 179
latest reply

@maggie-magnolia wrote:

My problem with Webinterpret was written several weeks ago. I have to say their customer service for me was wonderful. I think this could be a good thing BUT...wait for them to get the glitches out. My question is still this....When we have to make a change in a listing (ie because of a policy violation) how do we know the change has been translated or how do we get foreign listing up graded??. Also from my problem I learned that a word I have used in US, Australia, Great Britain for months, is suddenly WRONG to use on the German site. Be aware of this! I have no problem with eBay's efforts to keep trademarks and companies safe. I just think the Great Computer needs to be adjusted to be consistent as much as is digitally possible!

I remember your thread.  You are the epitome of positivity.

@Anonymous 

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Restricted-from-Selling-on-eBay/m-p/29978384#M1445633

Message 74 of 179
latest reply

@zamo-zuan 

very well stated and reflects my thoughts also...  i do not ship internationally. at all, and was sent the message back a few months ago to voluntarily opt in.

almost every move ebay is making this year is erroding seller's trust and confidence, as well as costing the sellers more $$$ in the long run.  things like this do not fix ebay into a stabile platform that i would recommend anyone new to sell on.  i myself am trying to ride this out to see where ebay ends up and if i can work with ebay at that point.  i am not a large seller ... but i can smell the coffee brewing ... ebay wants every1 in:  managed payments, promoted listings, and international shipping/selling.,. free 30 returns (or more) and conforming to ALL of their ideas.  but arm twisting, doing things behind our backs, and penalizing us even when we do them is not a good way for them to convince us.  

i do have stores on another site selling antique collectibles and silver place settings and such, things i will not attempt to sell on ebay because of the seriousness of their breech of trust and confidence over the past 2-3 years and their penchant for penalizing sellers and forcing terms on them that do not benefit the seller in any way.  i limit my items here to small used car parts which are always in need.  i wish i could trust ebay enough to list ALL my items here and not take the kinds of losses that the current policies encourage, because ebay does have much over some of the other sites that i do list on.

maybe when ebay's growth spurt evens out it will be a better place for sellers.  i hope so.

Message 75 of 179
latest reply