cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elimination of Paypal

Is anyone else out there concerned about Ebay eliminating Paypal ? I wonder if if will have an effect on my sales in the future. Feedback anyone ?

Message 1 of 120
latest reply
119 REPLIES 119

Re: Elimination of Paypal

I know. I am now buying from Wally World myself and paying with my PayPal. Only way to go.
Message 106 of 120
latest reply

I hope you didn't let that one get away.
Message 107 of 120
latest reply

I would rather pay a little more and have PayPal. That smaller fee was suppose to be eBay's trump card for getting the all inclusive business. They miscalculated the loyalty of PayPal users from both sellers and buyers. Ooops! Another mistake by eBay.
Message 108 of 120
latest reply

If I have to buy something online. I look for companies that take PayPal. If they dont take it, I move on.  If ebay thinks Buyers will clutter up a credit card with  little purchases. Ain't gonna happen. This is a big mistake on ebays part. I'm sure they are spying on that snobby craft site and seeing the diaster there, and the anger.  Maybe that will open their eyes because it sure opened mine. Just what happens, when a site gets their hands on your money.

Message 109 of 120
latest reply

@grasshopperx wrote:

If I have to buy something online. I look for companies that take PayPal. If they dont take it, I move on.  If ebay thinks Buyers will clutter up a credit card with  little purchases. Ain't gonna happen.

... what else is a credit card for?  You use it, then pay it off at the end of the month and build credit.  I put everything on my credit card because it earns me points that I can then use to buy things.  Why put it on my debit card or use PayPal when that doesn't earn me anything at all?

Message 110 of 120
latest reply

@playsoccerlivelonger wrote:

Ebay will profit 2.5% of every sale through this change.

But out of that money they will have to pay Adyen for processing the payments ... they certainly are not going to do it for free.

Message 111 of 120
latest reply

@jpaul18535 wrote:

I think there are a lot of emotional responses here.

I was in the initial beta for managed payments.  My sales have actually gone up.  I believe ebay is promoting me, just my guess.  I haven't done anything different than I have over the years.

As for Ebay eliminating Paypal, where or when has Ebay stated this?  They initially are not accepting PayPal so buyers be foreced to use the new payment system.  Once the "bugs" are worked out, aniticipated summer of 2019, PayPal will be reintroduced.  

Everyone who is boycotting sellers who do not accept Paypal, you are hurting the sellers more than ebay.

Saying all that, I have lost about 4 to 5 sales due to people saying they need or have to pay using paypal.

Also, is everyone here who is "mad" at ebay also boycotting Amazon?  Amazon does not take PayPal.  Maybe all of you have never shopped on Amazon because they never took PayPal?

@jpaul18535

The reason that people are so upset with Ebay about this change is that Ebay for years now has done all it could to say that Paypal was the only safe way to make your payments online, mainly because they owned them and wanted the extra money.   Now they are going to be doing their own processing using Adyen so they can once again pocket all that money that they had when they owned Paypal and are now trying to undo all those years of insisting that Paypal is the only safe way to pay online.  

I will be truthful, I will not make a purchase from a Seller who is in Managed Payments at this time because they cannot accept Paypal, which was truthfully a decision made by Ebay many years ago because they have had 3 years to prepare for this change and admitted they are not ready with the technology to process Paypal.  But its funny how they suddenly added Apple Pay and were able to work that into their payment options very quickly. 

This is strictly a test to see how much control they can exert over buyers to force them into not using Paypal and try and get them used to not doing so.  If this is extremely successful I would not be surprised to see an announcement next Summer that Ebay will not be accepting Paypal through managed payments for some reason or another although I am sure their contract with Paypal has something in there that will penalize them for not meeting certain percentages of buyers using Paypal during each year that this transition is happening, in fact i am sure I saw something about that in an article on it.  It will all come down to what is most profitable for Ebay as that is what this change is all about.

As for not wanting to give Ebay their credit card information, I am one that also will not be willing to do so as I just do not trust that Ebay will not somehow change their UA to say that doing so allows them to save your credit card information for future use (rather than having a box to click for that) or having that box automatically checked and if you are not careful and uncheck it, again Ebay will be keeping your credit card information.  I do not trust that Ebays security is even close to as good as Paypals was, nor Amazons is.  Paypal, even when they were a subsidiary of Ebay, had completely different policies and guidelines they were required to follow by the banking industry, Visa, Mastercard and Amex as well as governmental oversights that Ebay has never had to deal with.  I am also not sure based on what i have seen of their programmers lately, that Ebay has the abilities to protect the credit card information that they will wind up storing, nor do I trust, based on their recent history, that Ebay would notify the public that they had been hacked and customers information was compromised.  That is not an issue that the public has with the other company that you mentioned earlier.  Ebay has to earn back that trust of being transparent and when they continue to not announce issues that are occuring which other Sites are bringing to everybody's attention it is hard to bridge that gap.

I hope this gives you some insight as to what buyers are feeling about this issue.  I am also a Seller on Ebay and am not looking forward to the change to Managed Payments because I do understand the financial ramifications of these changes will mean for sellers as well, as I have a lot of background in the CC industry and do not feel that Ebay will have sellers backs at all when it comes to chargebacks or disputes with their buyers.  Right now Paypal is at least a 3rd party that looks at things and will help fight chargebacks from buyers that should not be allowed.  But I am not sure that Ebay will do anything other than collect the $20 (or whatever number they come up with) fee from the Seller for the Chargeback as that is additional revenue in their pockets and will help them show the growth they are so desperate to try and show.  Even though that revenue should not be classified as Sales growth, I would bet my last $20 that it will wind up being that way. 

Message 112 of 120
latest reply

There are many of us who share that position. I will not clutter CC's with nickel/dime transactions. Ebay preached to me for years that the ONLY safe way was PayPal and they have proven correct on that. Managed payments without PP option will drive me away completely. I will continue to buy on Ebay and many other online merchants who accept paypal, and that list is growing daily except for ebay's wavering in the wind approach! I value my time and privacy to the extent that I do NOT use a smart phone, never use the internet except from my desktop computer, and would not dream of accessing a public wifi hotspot for internet! I am retired from >35 years in the computer industry, including both hardware and software disciplines.  The majority of id theft and compromised finances occur in careless smartphone financial access in places like *bucks and the like on public wifi. I also am disciplined...I only drive to the bank 5 blocks away when my total transactions there will exceed $100 per trip!

Message 113 of 120
latest reply

Just use Paypal debit card when buying...problem solved!

(and get cash back bonus, if they still do that)

Message 114 of 120
latest reply

I was under the impression that the separation of Paypal and Ebay was done for the benefit of Paypal. That they wanted to be free to be out in the world without being chained to Ebay. Maybe they wanted to get out from the extra requirements of Ebay and just deal with simple sales? Adyen may still be small enough that they're willing to deal with the extra hassle (holds etc).

Message 115 of 120
latest reply

eBay spent years forcing sellers to use paypal only, no other payment allowed.

NOW they are in a pickle, ebay is trying to wean buyers and sellers off paypal to their own payment gateway.

They set their own hook.

Message 116 of 120
latest reply

@rebalew62-0 wrote:

Is anyone else out there concerned about Ebay eliminating Paypal ? I wonder if if will have an effect on my sales in the future. Feedback anyone ?

Ebay is not eliminating paypal.

Not according to ebay.

Only sellers that opted in to ebay's managed payments (I call it the ebay experiment beta test group) found that paypal was no longer a option. Temporarily.

Many sellers that did opt in wished they hadn't because of this temporary unavailability of paypal.

"Why isn't PayPal initially available in the new payments experience?

"Offering PayPal in a managed payments model required a new integration for us, and we're working on it and expect to make PayPal available in summer 2019."
https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/service-and-payments/managed-payments-on-ebay.html#m22_tb_a5__1

So don't opt in to the beta test group if you don't want a temporary selling "experience" without paypal.

Message 117 of 120
latest reply

as a seller and buyer I like paypal because I use it to get loans, store up money.  Buy stuff on ebay and NEVER, EVER, get near my bank account.  It is all done here on Ebay.  Why must dummies at Ebay destroy the one thing on Ebay that already work well

Message 118 of 120
latest reply

Obviously the original founder and his wife have a lot of faith in the company's future lol

https://www.barrons.com/articles/pam-omidyar-sells-ebay-stock-for-the-first-time-in-years-1544025938

Message 119 of 120
latest reply

@stockjedi wrote:

Obviously the original founder and his wife have a lot of faith in the company's future lol

https://www.barrons.com/articles/pam-omidyar-sells-ebay-stock-for-the-first-time-in-years-1544025938

It's the wife not Pierre, it's also chump change!

Pierre still owns over 45 MILLION shares (worth about 1.3 Billion)

Pierre himself sold 3 million shares on the same day, part of his annual charitable donation and it's possible the wife sold half her shares for the same reason.

Message 120 of 120
latest reply