cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay won't let me sell here any more :(

I am an individual seller; a 73 year old man simply selling items I no longer want or need for extra cash.  Not a business.  I have been selling here for 15 years.  Like everyone else, I have received the warning that as of March 3rd, I will need to register with something called ebay managed payments or no longer be able to sell.  Well, March 3rd finally arrived.  Now I am blocked from selling.  So, I went to sign up as requested...

The first page of the sign-up required I give them my SSN.  I have never given that out to anyone other than required government entities, and have always been told to never give it out over the internet.  That would be just another server waiting to be hacked and have the SSN stolen.  And I don't know what other personal info they want of me after that, because I couldn't get past the first page.  So, am I finally going to have to part ways with ebay after all these years because I'm protecting my SSN?

Message 1 of 84
latest reply
83 REPLIES 83

Re: Ebay won't let me sell here any more :(

Some sellers in MP already have the option to charge shipping against pending payouts and it should become site wide soon. In addition, they have announced that GSP users and sellers who sell in categories currently blocked in MP will soon have those issues resolved as well.
Message 46 of 84
latest reply

@mansons2005 wrote:
Some sellers in MP already have the option to charge shipping against pending payouts and it should become site wide soon. In addition, they have announced that GSP users and sellers who sell in categories currently blocked in MP will soon have those issues resolved as well.

You know they didn't tell anyone that you couldn't take GSP or most overseas payments before throwing sellers to the wolves.

Overseas sales was like 25% of my business...and I couldn't go back.

Tons of stupid hoops to jump through and get penalized for joining early...oh sure I got a discount but it didn't make up for the lost sales and increased headaches.

Message 47 of 84
latest reply

@poppyswag wrote:

How long does it take to get the funds for shipping? Right now it is instantly available in PayPal. Is it the same for managed payments - or not?

One of my MP accounts has the option to use "pending funds" for shipping. Other does not.

My "payouts" are consistently being made within 2 days. Payouts are happening 7 days a week if there are any.  Payouts clear into my checking account on the 2nd business day. YMMV

Message 48 of 84
latest reply

@monster-deals wrote:

@mansons2005 wrote:

You know they didn't tell anyone that you couldn't take GSP or most overseas payments before throwing sellers to the wolves.

Tons of stupid hoops to jump through and get penalized for joining early...oh sure I got a discount but it didn't make up for the lost sales and increased headaches.

I have no idea what they "told" those enrolling in the program - all I know is what I read in the terms and conditions before giving any consent or closing my account. And there it was - no way to currently use GSP, buyers could not use PayPal (at that time), and a slew of other but(t)s...............so I chose, and chose wisely.......................but that was before the invitation was a thinly veiled ultimatum.

Message 49 of 84
latest reply

@mansons2005 wrote:

@monster-deals wrote:

@mansons2005 wrote:

I have no idea what they "told" those enrolling in the program - all I know is what I read in the terms and conditions before giving any consent or closing my account. And there it was - no way to currently use GSP, buyers could not use PayPal (at that time), and a slew of other but(t)s...............so I chose, and chose wisely.......................but that was before the invitation was a thinly veiled ultimatum.

With the MP invite that I had for my 1st account the "no GSP" was clearly stated as well as was the "no PP".

My only international shipping is to Canada, and done directly, so GSP was a non issue for me. I waited for PP to be back for buyers.

Not sure what all the March inductee message said, but when I got my "not" thinly veiled ultimatum on my 2nd account, I just went ahead and opted in as I already knew what was going on. It was pretty clear that selling would cease if I did not.

Message 50 of 84
latest reply

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

With the MP invite that I had for my 1st account the "no GSP" was clearly stated as well as was the "no PP".

It wasn't for me. I click the "learn more" and boom enrolled in MP with no way back out.

Message 51 of 84
latest reply

It is because they don't want to share with paypal anymore. All payment will go through ebay kind of like what etsy did. They are going to charge more fees as well. If you look at the figures it will cost you more that the ebay final value fee and paypal fee added. They will be taking more. That is the whole intention. They want more profit.

Message 52 of 84
latest reply

I guess ebay is going to lose a lot of money over this. So many other places to sell.  

Message 53 of 84
latest reply

They didn't lose the orig poster.........

And.........be aware of how much they stand to make......once all sellers are in MP.......it will be billions.  They can afford to lose sellers if necessary.......

Message 54 of 84
latest reply

Sorry. Just realized this thread is  zombie. 

Message 55 of 84
latest reply

I am 73 as well and a small seller.  I am not on MP yet. However I do not have a cell phone and if I did have one I wouldn't know what to do with it.  I also do not file taxes as I believe I am under the income limit to do so (I'd best check on that again).

Message 56 of 84
latest reply

First of all, this thread is marked Resolved. But it's not resolved. The answer isn't a solution, it's more of a "tough luck, kid" kind of response. If this is a government requirement as the "answer" says, it's only because of how ebay has decided to implement managed payments as a one-size-fits-all solution.

I'm in the same boat as the OP -- a very small seller (like under 20 transactions and under $300/year (and some years it's more like 5 transactions and $100. ). I've had Paypal since it started. I don't think I ever gave them my social security number, but if I did, it was 20+ years ago, before I knew better.  I'm not about to start putting that number more places on the internet.

I've dealt with identity theft. I've seen people saying in these managed payments threads that "you should monitor your credit" and blah blah blah. Yeah, I do that. And my identity theft hasn't ended up costing me directly out of pocket. BUT it has cost me in time, hassle, and stress. Ebay doesn't have a great track record at keeping data safe. Why would I give them the key to my financial identity (bank account, ID info, and SS#) for the VERY SMALL BENEFIT I get from selling on eBay?

Sure, if I was a business or serious hobby (or making say, $5k or above in gross sales, which in my mind puts this into "business" category), then I'd set up and LLC, get a TAX ID and business checking and play by rules major sellers should play by.  But as a tiny, garage-sale level seller? The risk of giving my personal info to eBay is too great.

Why eBay just doesn't come up with a "garage-sale seller" tier? I'd be fine with signing an affidavit that basically says, "I'll keep my sales and transaction levels under X-amount (and that can be well under the federally mandated reporting amounts to give ebay a cushion)" and if I exceed that amount eBay has the right to lock my account until I set up a "business seller" account and provide all documentation required."

Something like this seems a much better solution for us small folks than just hitting everyone with a managed payments/SS# requirement hammer that's designed ultimately for large sellers.

Message 57 of 84
latest reply

Good for you...I too have not and will not give ebay my ssn.  There are many here who will not think it a big deal to give the ssn # because they are the new wave, next generation that has come to accept hacks as a way of life now and in their defense they know better how to handle it with all the online credit sites that can block, lock and protect your info. (supposedly).  We older folks have been taught, and rightfully so, to only give that number out to the entities you mentioned.  As I stated before, if a stranger knocked on your door and asked for your Bank account #, routing #, and your full ssn#  WOULD YOU GIVE IT TO THEM?

Message 58 of 84
latest reply

Your bank account number/routing# is on every check you write/give to others.  Without those they can't deposit money you might make.

The Government requires Ebay to record your soc sec #.

I'm old and I understand those reasons/justifications.......you are knocking on Ebays door asking to sell.....not the other way around........

Message 59 of 84
latest reply

I completely understand giving the routing # and bank account # that's a given, but why my full ssn# so I can sell $50 to $100 of stuff (maybe) every few months?  That's a financial disaster waiting to happen.  

Message 60 of 84
latest reply