cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay won't let me sell here any more :(

I am an individual seller; a 73 year old man simply selling items I no longer want or need for extra cash.  Not a business.  I have been selling here for 15 years.  Like everyone else, I have received the warning that as of March 3rd, I will need to register with something called ebay managed payments or no longer be able to sell.  Well, March 3rd finally arrived.  Now I am blocked from selling.  So, I went to sign up as requested...

The first page of the sign-up required I give them my SSN.  I have never given that out to anyone other than required government entities, and have always been told to never give it out over the internet.  That would be just another server waiting to be hacked and have the SSN stolen.  And I don't know what other personal info they want of me after that, because I couldn't get past the first page.  So, am I finally going to have to part ways with ebay after all these years because I'm protecting my SSN?

Message 1 of 84
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Ebay won't let me sell here any more :(

yep, you are if you don't give the SS............  It's because of the money transferring......you had to give it to paypal also......  It's a gov't regulation. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 84
latest reply
83 REPLIES 83

yep, you are if you don't give the SS............  It's because of the money transferring......you had to give it to paypal also......  It's a gov't regulation. 

Message 2 of 84
latest reply

The SSN is for tax purposes.  It had been that Paypal had this information for tax documents (form 1099-K) but with managed payments eBay will now be doing so.  I will be doing the same when I go into managed payments.  On my 1099-K form, incidentally, my SSN is redacted to the last 4 digits.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 3 of 84
latest reply

I am really surprised Ebay would force you in to MP..I thought it was by invitation, and for the big sellers..for now. You checked your messages in My Ebay to make sure this came from Ebay?

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 4 of 84
latest reply

Can I use the redacted SSN on ebay's signup page?

Message 5 of 84
latest reply

Yes.  I even have something for sale now and can't make changes because of it.  I get the same warning on the page when I try to make those changes.  Didn't everyone get that message?

Message 6 of 84
latest reply

I didnt, and Im a small seller too..so surprised to hear this..guess we will all be getting this too..

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 7 of 84
latest reply

Ebay is nominating sellers in batches, you today someone else tomorrow. Everyone according to ebay will join or be sent packing by 2021

Message 8 of 84
latest reply

Everyone according to ebay will be requested to join by 2021.

Message 9 of 84
latest reply

@clutchc wrote:

Can I use the redacted SSN on ebay's signup page?

No, you do have to give them the entire SSN.  It's just on downloaded documents for Paypal they've redacted it - it's better security.  My strong assumption is that since this standard practice security, eBay would be doing the same thing. 

I'm a little surprised they're forcing you into managed payments, too, but I don't understand their criteria when sellers need to sign up for this.  I know it doesn't depend on the size of the seller, so it must be something else.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 10 of 84
latest reply

I'm thinking some kind of a lottery system where sellers are randomly selected.

Message 11 of 84
latest reply

it is just data for the company who might be issuing a 1099.

But I agree with you.  Too many people want our social security numbers.  Even people who  call have this 'I have to verify you with name, birthday and SSN"    I always tell them no.  I have no way of knowing who is calling and eBay should not make that a requirement.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 12 of 84
latest reply

yes I knew that..just didnt expect this so soon for small sellers.

Message 13 of 84
latest reply

@bonjourami wrote:

I'm a small seller and they already tapped me last year.  I didn't take their invitation because I didn't want to deal with payment system changes AND retiring all in the same year - eBay isn't my only income source. I was ready to come on board 1Q 2020 but haven't gotten tapped again yet.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 14 of 84
latest reply

@bonjourami wrote:

FYI from eBay...

Sellers who have been identified as using eBay features and tools that are fully compatible with managed payments will be required to join in phases throughout this year. By the end of 2020, eBay will manage payments for most sellers.

Message 15 of 84
latest reply